PDA

View Full Version : Pastor Arrested In Washington D.C. For Praying On A Public Sidewalk

PoliCon
06-11-2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVMwU6N74sQ

Bubba Dawg
06-11-2010, 09:46 PM
The property between the street and the door....who owns it?

Is the fence new?

PoliCon
06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
The property between the street and the door....who owns it?

Is the fence new?

WASHINGTON, June 10 /Christian Newswire/ -- It is now more important for government and law enforcement officials to protect abortion in our nation's capital then it is for them to protect the First Amendment, free speech and civil liberties.

Is this the future of America?

Police officers arrested Rev. Patrick J. Mahoney for praying on a public sidewalk in front of Planned Parenthood on Tuesday, June 8.

This arrest followed weeks of Washington, D.C. police officers threatening to arrest members of the pro-life community for praying and counseling on the public sidewalk in front of Planned Parenthood.

For years, the pro-life community has prayed, counseled and held peaceful witness on the public property in front of Planned Parenthood.

View photo of pro-lifers peacefully praying in front of Planned Parenthood

This situation developed after Planned Parenthood applied for a public permit to construct an iron fence around their property.

View pictures of the recently constructed fence with "No Trespassing" signs

However, the construction of the fence did not change the description of the land and according to city records it still remains public. Also, Planned Parenthood and the City of Washington, D.C. have not presented one piece of evidence or documentation showing the property has now become private.

James Henderson, Senior Counsel for the American Center for Law and Justice who is representing Rev. Mahoney, states,

"After we learned that Planned Parenthood installed the fence, and that police were threatening to arrest those that prayed or counseled on the public spaces within the fence, we extensively researched the status of that property.

"The Public Spaces Branch of the District's Department of Transportation maintains the the database of public properties in Washington, D.C. During meetings with that department, two different sources confirmed to us that Washington, D.C. owned a 50-foot right of way along the public sidewalk in front of Planned Parenthood.

"So, we know for a fact that Rev. Mahoney was arrested on public property when he was charged with crime of unlawful entry."

The Christian Defense Coalition plans a major national campaign to address this ban on the First Amendment in Washington, D.C. later this summer.

For more information or interviews call:

Rev. Patrick J. Mahoney at 540.538.4741 202.547.1735

http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/9844814116.html

wilbur
06-12-2010, 12:17 AM
That really doesn't look like public property.

PoliCon
06-12-2010, 12:20 AM
That really doesn't look like public property.

"The Public Spaces Branch of the District's Department of Transportation maintains the the database of public properties in Washington, D.C. During meetings with that department, two different sources confirmed to us that Washington, D.C. owned a 50-foot right of way along the public sidewalk in front of Planned Parenthood."looks can be deceiving.

mighty
06-12-2010, 02:25 AM
This is not good, no body should be disallowed from praying.

Constitutionally Speaking
06-12-2010, 06:38 AM
This is not good, no body should be disallowed from praying.

The places you are allowed to pray are getting fewer and fewer.

We STARTED being able to pray ANYWHERE. Now, we cannot in a multitude of places.

They are attacking prayer just like they did smoking. First confine people to small areas, then keep them out of specified buildings, then outside - then nowhere.

Forget that little thing called freedom.

linda22003
06-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I've been down that part of 16th Street many times. He is not standing on 16th Street. He is standing on the walkway that leads from 16th Street up to the front door of the clinic.
Your driveway is perpendicular to the sidewalk and the street, and leads up to your house. Is your driveway city/town property, or your private property?

linda22003
06-12-2010, 10:05 AM
The places you are allowed to pray are getting fewer and fewer.

We STARTED being able to pray ANYWHERE. Now, we cannot in a multitude of places.

I didn't know prayer was something you had yourself filmed for so it could be posted on YouTube. For me, it's something I do in private, since Christ was pretty specific about what he didn't like, in Matthew 6:5. In that verse, there's a precise name used for this guy. :)

PoliCon
06-12-2010, 10:07 AM
I've been down that part of 16th Street many times. He is not standing on 16th Street. He is standing on the walkway that leads from 16th Street up to the front door of the clinic.
Your driveway is perpendicular to the sidewalk and the street, and leads up to your house. Is your driveway city/town property, or your private property?

I guess you missed this:
"The Public Spaces Branch of the District's Department of Transportation maintains the the database of public properties in Washington, D.C. During meetings with that department, two different sources confirmed to us that Washington, D.C. owned a 50-foot right of way along the public sidewalk in front of Planned Parenthood." Fencing it off does not make it any less public property. They've done their homework. He's within his rights.

linda22003
06-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I think it will probably depend on what the word "along" means (not to sound too Clintonian). To me, "along" the public sidewalk means parallel to it. He's welcome to litigate it with the government of the District of Columbia, in which case may God have mercy on his soul, due to the hassle of litigating ANYthing with the DC government. Plus, the DC government is likely to rule for Planned Parenthood in any way it can.
He accomplished his point, which was to draw attention to himself.

PoliCon
06-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I think it will probably depend on what the word "along" means (not to sound too Clintonian). To me, "along" the public sidewalk means parallel to it. He's welcome to litigate it with the government of the District of Columbia, in which case may God have mercy on his soul, due to the hassle of litigating ANYthing with the DC government. Plus, the DC government is likely to rule for Planned Parenthood in any way it can.
He accomplished his point, which was to draw attention to himself.

To himself? or to his cause?

wilbur
06-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I didn't know prayer was something you had yourself filmed for so it could be posted on YouTube. For me, it's something I do in private, since Christ was pretty specific about what he didn't like, in Matthew 6:5. In that verse, there's a precise name used for this guy. :)

I have a feeling the arrest is exactly what he wanted to happen.

FlaGator
06-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Your misrepresenting the context of that scripture and I suspect that you are aware of this.

wilbur
06-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Your misrepresenting the context of that scripture and I suspect that you are aware of this.

That darn context... its always getting misrepresented!!

lacarnut
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
That darn context... its always getting misrepresented!!

Atheists usually do.

linda22003
06-12-2010, 12:48 PM

Why don't you tell me more of what I need to know about it. :cool:

Gingersnap
06-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Repenting is generally what is covered under the private prayer idea (although public repentance is a fact of Christian life). The whole "I'm sure a rotten human being - more rotten than anybody", etc., type of prayer. Prayer to rebuke, admonish, or petition for an end to oppression, suffering, or injustice has total support in both testaments. It not only has support, it's a well understood part of witnessing.

That's probably what he means.

Also, D.C. has some of the screwiest "public access" laws in the country. More than one homeowner has found out that seemingly private driveway is, in fact, "public" and subject to public laws on parking and street maintenance.

MrsSmith
06-12-2010, 02:55 PM

If you read the context, the purpose of the prayer is the difference. Someone who prays in public in order to be admired by men is admonished and told to pray in private. However, someone who is ashamed of Christ and therefore prays in private and conforms to the world in public is also admonished and told that Christ will be ashamed of him (or her.) Also, it is made quite plain that believers are to meet together for fellowship and to study, and given Christ's own example of praying for and with the apostles (and even teaching them a prayer), the idea that we should never join in public prayer is ridiculous. It would be more accurate to quote Mat 10:27 "What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops." All Christians are equally as commanded to cry aloud every revelation! :D

linda22003
06-13-2010, 08:20 AM
If you read the context, the purpose of the prayer is the difference. Someone who prays in public in order to be admired by men is admonished and told to pray in private. However, someone who is ashamed of Christ and therefore prays in private and conforms to the world in public is also admonished and told that Christ will be ashamed of him (or her.)

So someone who prays in public and makes sure cameras are there to record everything would be in which category? :p

PoliCon
06-13-2010, 10:07 AM
So someone who prays in public and makes sure cameras are there to record everything would be in which category? :p

I'm fairly certain that the cameras were there because they had already been told - incorrectly - that public land was now private property because of a fence and they wanted to document everything that happens so they cannot be accused of swinging at the cops or anything else.

djones520
06-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm fairly certain that the cameras were there because they had already been told - incorrectly - that public land was now private property because of a fence and they wanted to document everything that happens so they cannot be accused of swinging at the cops or anything else.

Take a look at Google Maps Poli. I'm pretty well certain that "public walk" would be the side walk along the street which connects to the pathway to the building that he was on. Especially since that path isn't even 50ft long.

Here's the address so you can check it out.

1108 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036

Keep following this, lets see how the ruling comes out.

Kay
06-13-2010, 10:33 AM
If it had been a muslim on his knees facing mecca, he'd have been ok.

wilbur
06-13-2010, 10:38 AM

I dunno... he seemed very eager to get his "Worldwide call to all Christians" out there. Seems planned from the get go.

MrsSmith
06-13-2010, 01:48 PM

Mat 10:27 "What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops."