PDA

View Full Version : Veggies! What Are You Growing?

Gingersnap
06-15-2010, 10:58 PM
For those of us who plant a few (or a lot of) edibles - what's in your garden this season?

Articulate_Ape
06-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Deer.

Gingersnap
06-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Deer.

Good answer. If you're baiting them, I mean.

NJCardFan
06-15-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm lazy this year. Went and bought a Topsy Turvy. And it's working. I have a beautiful tomato plant growing from it and already have 4 tomatoes growing and several more ready to pop out. .

Rockntractor
06-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I was to busy to put a garden in this year but i have volunteer pumpkins growing everywhere from some extra pumpkins we didn't put up last year.

Gingersnap
06-15-2010, 11:36 PM
I tried that last year but it didn't work for me. The thing weighed a ton, for one thing. Also, it just took way too much water. We have super low humidity out here so I think the concept just wasn't workable given the environment.

Articulate_Ape
06-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Good answer. If you're baiting them, I mean.

No, you don't understand. Deer are like woodchucks around here.

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/ohdeer.jpg

We have had twice that many on our front lawn and they eat EVERYTHING. I am planning a fenced-in container garden that I will be constructing soon. Let's just say that if times get tough, venison is plentiful around these parts.

Rockntractor
06-15-2010, 11:38 PM

We have had twice that many on our front lawn and they eat EVERYTHING. I am planning a fenced-in container garden that I will be constructing soon. Let's just say that if times get tough, venison is plentiful around these parts.
I canned a lot of deer last fall!

Articulate_Ape
06-15-2010, 11:42 PM
I canned a lot of deer last fall!

I'm betting "canned" is synonymous we "porked" in your vernacular.

Gingersnap
06-15-2010, 11:42 PM

So, you aren't baiting them and you can't shoot them (in season and with tags, of course)? LOL! The only reason we aren't overrun with mulies is because we have so many coyotes. I've seen whitetails about 2 miles from here and they were eating the landscaping.

Charismatic megafauna leave something to be desired when you aren't a latte-sipping, loft-dweller. ;)

Articulate_Ape
06-15-2010, 11:46 PM
So, you aren't baiting them and you can't shoot them (in season and with tags, of course)? LOL! The only reason we aren't overrun with mulies is because we have so many coyotes. I've seen whitetails about 2 miles from here and they were eating the landscaping.

Charismatic megafauna leave something to be desired when you aren't a latte-sipping, loft-dweller. ;)

I'm in NJ, wood witch. There are certain statutes that make my venison harvest rather risky. I think of them as livestock should the need arise. You know, just like I think about you. :p

Gingersnap
06-15-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm in NJ, wood witch. There are certain statutes that make my venison harvest rather risky. I think of them as livestock should the need arise. You know, just like I think about you. :p

Trust me - I'd be gamey. And rabid.

You'd be much better off with a buttery little vegan who eats clean and who doesn't work out much. Try your local community college or nearest yoga center. :D

bijou
06-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Quite a lot going on this year. Fruit; raspberries, strawberries, melon, grapes and cherries together with a new blueberry bush which won't produce much this year. Vegetables: onion, garlic, potato, kale, chard, peas, beans, aubergine, courgette, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, sweetcorn and leeks. Now I'm hoping the summer will be a warm one so the more tender stuff does well.

Rockntractor
06-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Quite a lot going on this year. Fruit; raspberries, strawberries, melon, grapes and cherries together with a new blueberry bush which won't produce much this year. Vegetables: onion, garlic, potato, kale, chard, peas, beans, aubergine, courgette, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, sweetcorn and leeks. Now I'm hoping the summer will be a warm one so the more tender stuff does well.

Impressive! You have a full garden. My wife used to watch all creatures great and small and she would say " you never see any weeds in England"!:D

bijou
06-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Impressive! You have a full garden. My wife used to watch all creatures great and small and she would say " you never see any weeds in England"!:D

I only have a small space so everything is fairly close together, it does cut down on the weeding! :D

RobJohnson
06-16-2010, 03:28 AM

Sounds great.

After years of growing stuff I now pick fresh veggies from the local farmer's market. The selection is limited here in the desert and eventually I will have a small garden again. Now it's easier getting up early on Saturday for the best selection. I have also noticed that our grocery stores have some pretty good stuff as well due to the fact we are so close to CA.

I've been looking at both condos and houses trying to take advantage of the buyer's market right now. Houses are about 50 to 70% less then they were selling for 5 years ago here. Five years ago folks were buying sight unseen and the real estate offices had packed waiting rooms, now they pray just for the phone to ring.

Constitutionally Speaking
06-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Deer.

This and Rabbits!!! :mad:

Before I got my fence up, the Rabbits and Deer wreaked havoc on my tomatoes and peppers - nothing else was up yet so at least those did OK.

I have corn, green beans, peas and snap peas, about 5 varieties of peppers, onions, two varieties of squash, carrots and tomatoes LOTS of tomatoes - oh and I have a watermelon plant.

I also have a decent strawberry patch started - probably won't produce enough this year yet but it is sending out runners like mad. I also have a TON of wild raspberries, black cap raspberries and blackberries on my property.

Gingersnap
06-16-2010, 09:50 AM
This year I've got 2 kinds of squash, cukes, peas, scarlet runner beans, shallots, mesclun, several different lettuces, rocket, canning tomatoes and heirloom tomatoes, parsley, rosemary, thyme, 2 kinds of chives, a lot of different peppers, and par-cel (this is new to me). There are some radishes lurking around out there also.

Rebel Yell
06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
I've got squash, sweet potatoes, banana pepper, and bell pepper.

aerojarod
06-16-2010, 12:18 PM
I've got a little container garden going on my balcony porch (condo living).

Got one flower box going with Rosemary, Basil, Dill, Chives.

Another flower box I sowed with a mixed small leaf lettuce down one half, arugula on the other, and scallions down the middle.

I've got a couple cherry tomato plants going, and a few regular tomato seedlings I'm gonna need to transfer to their own pots, soon.

Got a couple small pots with mariolds going, a large pot with a rose bush in it, and a few tiny pots of curly and flat leaf parsely.

Calypso Jones
06-16-2010, 12:35 PM
we had a late start with travelling and coming home with some horrendous virus thingy that took about 3 weeks to fully recover from.

BUT, i managed to get in tomato plants, squash. THAT is it seeing as something took out my eggplants.

Gingersnap
06-16-2010, 12:40 PM
we had a late start with travelling and coming home with some horrendous virus thingy that took about 3 weeks to fully recover from.

BUT, i managed to get in tomato plants, squash. THAT is it seeing as something took out my eggplants.

Eggplants! I also have a few of them. One is a white eggplant.

bijou
06-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Eggplants! I also have a few of them. One is a white eggplant.

I had a white one last year, I couldn't find any this year either seeds or plants. :(

Gingersnap
06-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I had a white one last year, I couldn't find any this year either seeds or plants. :(

My understanding is that they taste the same but look cooler. You should try that Par-cel. Mine's coming right along. All the goodness of celery with none of the tedious labor or pest control. :)

bijou
06-16-2010, 01:32 PM
My understanding is that they taste the same but look cooler. You should try that Par-cel. Mine's coming right along. All the goodness of celery with none of the tedious labor or pest control. :)

I had some last year, unfortunately it got hit by frost and died over the winter. It's great for garnishes and soups to give a real celery flavour.

Calypso Jones
06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
some of my eggplants were the white variety. I'm sorry i'm gonna miss that. Wonder if i have time to get it in and still get a harvest? Don't know much about eggplant actually.

Had some asparagus at our old place. THAT was delightful.

Gingersnap
06-16-2010, 01:43 PM
some of my eggplants were the white variety. I'm sorry i'm gonna miss that. Wonder if i have time to get it in and still get a harvest? Don't know much about eggplant actually.

Had some asparagus at our old place. THAT was delightful.

Of course, there's still time! You'd be a couple of weeks late but still well before any serious frosts in your area. :)

Gingersnap
06-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Bumping for the moonlight gardeners.