PDA

View Full Version : New Bill Gives Obama ‘Kill Switch’ To Shut Down The Internet

Gingersnap
06-17-2010, 11:27 AM
New Bill Gives Obama ‘Kill Switch’ To Shut Down The Internet

Government would have “absolute power” to seize control of the world wide web under Lieberman legislation

Paul Joseph Watson
Prison Planet.com
Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The federal government would have “absolute power” to shut down the Internet under the terms of a new US Senate bill being pushed by Joe Lieberman, legislation which would hand President Obama a figurative “kill switch” to seize control of the world wide web in response to a Homeland Security directive.

Lieberman has been pushing for government regulation of the Internet for years under the guise of cybersecurity, but this new bill goes even further in handing emergency powers over to the feds which could be used to silence free speech under the pretext of a national emergency.

“The legislation says that companies such as broadband providers, search engines or software firms that the US Government selects “shall immediately comply with any emergency measure or action developed” by the Department of Homeland Security. Anyone failing to comply would be fined,” reports ZDNet’s Declan McCullagh.

The 197-page bill (PDF) is entitled Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act, or PCNAA.

Technology lobbying group TechAmerica warned that the legislation created “the potential for absolute power,” while the Center for Democracy and Technology worried that the bill’s emergency powers “include authority to shut down or limit internet traffic on private systems.”

The bill has the vehement support of Senator Jay Rockefeller, who last year asked during a congressional hearing, “Would it had been better if we’d have never invented the Internet?” while fearmongering about cyber-terrorists preparing attacks.

The largest Internet-based corporations are seemingly happy with the bill, primarily because it contains language that will give them immunity from civil lawsuits and also reimburse them for any costs incurred if the Internet is shut down for a period of time.

Peachy.

Prison Planet (http://www.prisonplanet.com/new-bill-gives-obama-kill-switch-to-shut-down-the-internet.html)

JB
06-17-2010, 06:45 PM
And to think the Internet was created so it couldn't be shut down.

When they shut it down will I get a refund from my provider for the outage time?

warpig
06-17-2010, 07:06 PM
So why would the whole internet need to be shutdown when there would be attacks in localized, specific targets??

JB
06-17-2010, 07:15 PM
So why would the whole internet need to be shutdown when there would be attacks in localized, specific targets??Ask Lieberman and Rockefeller.

I have a feeling they still use this:

http://www.officemuseum.com/IMagesWWW/Emerson_typewriter_OM.jpg

warpig
06-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Ask Lieberman and Rockefeller.

I have a feeling they still use this:

http://www.officemuseum.com/IMagesWWW/Emerson_typewriter_OM.jpg

:D

Gingersnap
06-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Knowing those two, they probably still have Benedictine monks chained to tables illuminating memos. :rolleyes:

fettpett
06-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I can't stand this Congress. they are a bunch of early Boomer's that have their heads so far up their collective asses when it comes to Technology they don't know the difference between email and the Pony Express.

seehorse
06-20-2010, 04:36 PM
They need to do this to shut us up

m00
06-20-2010, 05:57 PM
So if CU was hosted on a private server with dedicated phone lines, and I used a modem to dial in, how would they stop this?

enslaved1
06-21-2010, 01:32 AM
So if CU was hosted on a private server with dedicated phone lines, and I used a modem to dial in, how would they stop this?

That's been my thoughts since seeing this headline. While it might be possible to kill US located ISP's, I would think that genuinely shutting down the internet would be difficult, especially taking off shore servers, dedicated personal setups, ect into consideration. But Obama and the thugs running DC right now have no idea of the Constitutional limits of their power, so the reality limits are probably outside their vision as well.

fettpett
06-21-2010, 11:53 AM
That's been my thoughts since seeing this headline. While it might be possible to kill US located ISP's, I would think that genuinely shutting down the internet would be difficult, especially taking off shore servers, dedicated personal setups, ect into consideration. But Obama and the thugs running DC right now have no idea of the Constitutional limits of their power, so the reality limits are probably outside their vision as well.

The main servers that run the internet are based here in the US. It's been outside of the Government's jurisdiction since it's been setup. They shut those servers down, they kill most of the internet

m00
06-21-2010, 02:58 PM
The main servers that run the internet are based here in the US. It's been outside of the Government's jurisdiction since it's been setup. They shut those servers down, they kill most of the internet

Internet will get slower, sure. But to use my "dial up to CU" example... CU could do nightly "synch-ups" with other servers living elsewhere. Pass along posts or forum mail. It might take a few days to get email (depending on how many nodes away you were from someone), but it would work.

Tecate
06-21-2010, 09:17 PM
They need to do this to shut us up
The internet is kicking their asses and they are fully aware of it. Alternative media is exploding while the corporate controlled mainstream media has lost all credibility. The worst crimes of the mainstream media? Lying by omission. NOT covering the real news, but instead, creating distractions and diversions that no one will care about three days from now. Watch my right hand closely as I wave it around, but don't dare look at what I'm doing with my left hand.

There's a reson why I haven't watched TV in many years... And any time I do get exposure to pre-packaged, canned "news" on cable TV, I quickly remember why I stopped watching it.

enslaved1
06-22-2010, 01:57 AM

It would change vastly, but I don't think it would kill the net. Back in the day, people set up BBS's on their home PC's with one phone line coming into it, and people would hit redial until they got a dial tone. With terabyte hard drives, easy access to lots of routers and bridges, and tons of knowledge available, I'll wager that people would still keep websites up. Probably not Twitter and Facebook, but various websites nevertheless.

fettpett
06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I think there would be too much of an outcry from all the nerds :D and lay people that use the internet. Not to mention ISP's that would lose litterally billions of dollars overnight.

My guess is that they'll use any "kill" swtich to go after websites that they don't like and permantely shut them down. Honestly I'm surprised that more aren't gone after even now.

Personally think that most of the old coots in DC on both sides of the isle need to be put out to pasture as very few of them know how or want to know how technology is changing, they want to be able to control sources of information, but they can't.