PDA

View Full Version : "Woodie Allen, After All Of These Years, Still As Soft As A Sneaker Full Of Crap !"

megimoo
08-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Take the Bananas and Run

Woody Allen cuts his banana into seven slices each morning. Six slices, or eight, and something bad might happen. "I know it would be total coincidence if I didn't slice it into seven pieces, and my family were killed in a fire," he says.

"I understand that there could be no correlation, but, you know, the guilt would be too much for me to bear, so it's easier for me to cut the stupid banana."

Despite the odd superstition (he also avoids haircuts while shooting a movie), Allen has devoted his career to making films that consistently assert the randomness of life. That they do so in a variety of genres— comedy, drama, suspense, satire, even, once, a musical—only partially obscures the fact that, in Allen's eyes, they're all tragedies, since, as he says, "to live is to suffer." If there were a persistence-of-vision award for life philosophy, Allen would be a shoo-in.

Still, it's tempting to wonder if there's been a shift in recent years. After the glare of attention in the early 1990s surrounding his relationship with Soon-Yi Previn, the adopted daughter of his former girlfriend Mia Farrow, the director largely disappeared.

Sure, he surfaced to play his clarinet at the Carlyle on the Upper East Side, and maintained his relentless pace of a film a year, but he has not been a topic in the public conversation. It became possible to imagine that old age, combined with a seemingly stable relationship (he stopped going to therapy after he got together with Soon-Yi; the couple has been married 11 years, and they have two adopted daughters) had given him a rosier outlook.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/151533

Elspeth
08-09-2008, 12:15 PM
It sounds like Allen has some obsessive-compulsive disorder which cannot be cured by talk therapy. If he had had the right meds early on, he might have had more stable relationships. Then again, he might not be as driven to make films.

megimoo
08-09-2008, 12:25 PM
It sounds like Allen has some obsessive-compulsive disorder which cannot be cured by talk therapy. If he had had the right meds early on, he might have had more stable relationships. Then again, he might not be as driven to make films.
They should have tried that 'Back to the Womb' therapy on him.It would have either cured him or made him a better director !:D

Tracking Stress and Depression Back to the Womb (12/04) http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/view/595/43/ .