PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Storm May Threaten BP’s Spill Cleanup, Disperse Oil

Gingersnap
06-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Tropical Storm May Threaten BP’s Spill Cleanup, Disperse Oil

June 22, 2010, 7:19 AM EDT

June 22 (Bloomberg) -- The first storm of the Atlantic hurricane season may enter the Gulf of Mexico as soon as next week, possibly disrupting BP Plc’s efforts to clean up the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Thunderstorms in the Caribbean may strengthen into a tropical storm this week before heading into the Gulf between Mexico and Cuba, said Jim Rouiller, a senior energy meteorologist at Planalytics Inc. in Berwyn, Pennsylvania.

“The first named tropical storm of the 2010 season appears more likely to form over the northwestern Caribbean late this week and will go on to represent a formidable threat to the Gulf, along with heightening concerns about the oil slick,” Rouiller said in an e-mail yesterday.

Forecasters are predicting this year’s Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to Nov. 30, may be among the most active on record and hamper the U.K. oil company’s efforts to plug the leaking well. AccuWeather Inc. forecast at least three storms will move through the region affected by the spill.

Scientists don’t agree on the effect of storms on oil spills. While hampering capping operations, the extra mixing and wave action from a storm may break down the oil in a more effective and less harmful way than chemical dispersants, Norm Duke, a senior research fellow at University of Queensland’s Marine Botany Group in Australia, said in an e-mail.

The benefits of a storm breaking up the oil naturally would likely be outweighed by spreading it further and preventing work to stop the leak, according to Darren Kindleysides, director of the Australian Marine Conservation Society.

Ocean currents may also have an impact on the oil that is polluting the Gulf of Mexico, according to a computer simulation by National Center for Atmospheric Research scientists. A model of regional currents showed the potential for some of the oil to reach the Atlantic Ocean, scientists said in a June 3 press release.

Business Week (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-22/tropical-storm-may-threaten-bp-s-spill-cleanup-disperse-oil.html)

SarasotaRepub
06-22-2010, 06:40 PM
From what I've been following the storm has little spin to it as of now and that's why it isn't developing. Anything could happen but it looks like it'll drop a ton of rain on Haiti for certain. Other than that...

Too early to tell.

m00
06-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Just wait and see this will get blamed on global warming.

djones520
06-22-2010, 06:52 PM
I checked some things this morning. The Subtropical ridge is still pretty strong. From what I could tell the steering should take it towards Mexico/Texas keeping it clear of the worst of the spill.

But for a week or two out, I can't really say with any certainty.

Sonnabend
06-23-2010, 04:21 AM
Just wait and see this will get blamed on global warming.

Why not, they blame it for everything else. :rolleyes:

SarasotaRepub
06-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Here's a pic from Weather Underground

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201093_sat.jpg

It's picked up speed again, they were saying it was gonna slow down. Still pretty disorganized, just a rain maker.

djones520
06-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, nothing to see yet. I'm sure one will happen this season, and it'll be interesting to see the havoc it plays.

malloc
06-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Hrm...

Brewing Tropical Gulf Storm + millions of gallons of crude in the surf + ignition source = hurricane made of fire?

I have no ill will toward the people in the Gulf Coast states, but I'd pay money to see that.

djones520
06-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Hrm...

Brewing Tropical Gulf Storm + millions of gallons of crude in the surf + ignition source = hurricane made of fire?

I have no ill will toward the people in the Gulf Coast states, but I'd pay money to see that.

While I'm no expert on tropical meteorology, my gut tells me you'd be wasting your money.

malloc
06-24-2010, 09:24 PM
While I'm no expert on tropical meteorology, my gut tells me you'd be wasting your money.

Well, a man's got have his dreams right?

SarasotaRepub
06-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Hrm...

Easy dude. The DUmmies are saying that. :mad::D

malloc
06-25-2010, 07:56 PM
The difference is I know it would only happen in a Michael Bay movie. Still would be a cool sight though.

SarasotaRepub
06-25-2010, 08:43 PM
The difference is I know it would only happen in a Michael Bay movie. Still would be a cool sight though.

Well...:D

djones520
06-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Tropical Depression 1 has formed.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT01/refresh/AL0110W5_NL_sm2+gif/215913W5_NL_sm.gif

SarasotaRepub
06-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Looks like it's finally starting to spinup and look like a storm. Looks like some pretty heavy duty convection going on...

djones520
06-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Looks like it's finally starting to spinup and look like a storm. Looks like some pretty heavy duty convection going on...

Already is a storm now. Latest track has it pulling further west. Just like I thought. The Subtropical Ridge is still to strong. It'll probably be august before we really have to worry about a storm hitting the spill region.

SarasotaRepub
06-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Already is a storm now. Latest track has it pulling further west. Just like I thought. The Subtropical Ridge is still to strong. It'll probably be august before we really have to worry about a storm hitting the spill region.

That's a good thing. Well except for the DUmmies that are just dying for a storm to hit that region.

djones520
06-26-2010, 07:36 PM
That's a good thing. Well except for the DUmmies that are just dying for a storm to hit that region.

Well, maybe not such a good thing. A whole nother month of dumping oil into the gulf is just going to cause more trouble when the storm actually hits. I'd think it would almost be better to have it hit now, and do the damage with whats there instead of adding another month of spilled oil.

SarasotaRepub
06-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Well, maybe not such a good thing. A whole nother month of dumping oil into the gulf is just going to cause more trouble when the storm actually hits. I'd think it would almost be better to have it hit now, and do the damage with whats there instead of adding another month of spilled oil.

It's bad anyway you look at it. BP needs to get that well capped. Now.