PDA

View Full Version : BP Oil Spill: Coincidence Or Wrath of God?

Gingersnap
06-24-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPtaMgqOwL4

FlaGator
06-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm a wrath of God person...

Gingersnap
06-24-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm a wrath of God person...

It's certainly one Hell of a coincidence.

Speedy
06-24-2010, 12:07 PM
I am a true believing Christian and founded a Pentecostal Church years ago, but I have never believed God to be one to meddle in affairs of man. If something happened that was the wrath of God, there would be no doubt about it. God does not create events that could be duplicated by man like an oil spill.

noonwitch
06-24-2010, 01:51 PM
I am a true believing Christian and founded a Pentecostal Church years ago, but I have never believed God to be one to meddle in affairs of man. If something happened that was the wrath of God, there would be no doubt about it. God does not create events that could be duplicated by man like an oil spill.

One would also have to believe that God is always on Israel's side, and that God hates both the people of the Gulf coast and the arab people who live in Israel to accept that theory.

Articulate_Ape
06-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Or impregnating a virgin.

Calypso Jones
06-24-2010, 02:11 PM
God? No. But man's stupidity and sinful nature? AB so Freaking Lutely.

noonwitch
06-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Or impregnating a virgin.

Man can duplicate that one now, due to the miracle of sperm banks or IVF.

Speedy
06-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Man can duplicate that one now, due to the miracle of sperm banks or IVF.

The point of the Immaculate Conception was not only that Mary was a virgin, but that a man had nothing at all to do with her pregnancy.

Gingersnap
06-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Let's drop the Virgin Birth and stick with the current Wrath of God. ;)

noonwitch
06-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Let's drop the Virgin Birth and stick with the current Wrath of God. ;)

Okay. I don't think it's the wrath of God because I don't believe that God would strike in a way that causes His own people to suffer, not to mention some of His coolest creations other than people, like dolphins and egrets.

I'm not really a wrath of God person, anyways, being a liberal christian and all.

Rebel Yell
06-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Okay. I don't think it's the wrath of God because I don't believe that God would strike in a way that causes His own people to suffer, not to mention some of His coolest creations other than people, like dolphins and egrets.

I'm not really a wrath of God person, anyways, being a liberal christian and all.

So, the flood never happened?

Articulate_Ape
06-24-2010, 03:32 PM

Not according to SERVPRO®.

lacarnut
06-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Good one!:)

noonwitch
06-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Maybe the flood happened and it wasn't necessarily the act of a wrathful God. There's some pretty good evidence of a flood-like finding fossils of freshwater creatures in the Black Sea. Also, every culture in that region has a story about an ancient flood. But scientists have a theory that some type of seismic event caused the water from the Med to overflow the Bospherus and spill into the Black Sea, converting it from a freshwater body into a saltwater one.

The peoples of the ancient world would have chalked up any disaster to the wrath of God, because they didn't understand anything else.

Rebel Yell
06-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Maybe the flood happened and it wasn't necessarily the act of a wrathful God. There's some pretty good evidence of a flood-like finding fossils of freshwater creatures in the Black Sea. Also, every culture in that region has a story about an ancient flood. But scientists have a theory that some type of seismic event caused the water from the Med to overflow the Bospherus and spill into the Black Sea, converting it from a freshwater body into a saltwater one.

The peoples of the ancient world would have chalked up any disaster to the wrath of God, because they didn't understand anything else.

They also have a theory about the burning bush. Moses was on dope.

Calypso Jones
06-24-2010, 05:18 PM
I get really annoyed about this Wrath of God thingy. Wrath of God is what the left leaning pseudo scientific channels on Satellite call Catastrophic Climactic conditions. As IF it is God's Fault. Which it isn't.

Gingersnap
06-24-2010, 05:22 PM
I get really annoyed about this Wrath of God thingy. Wrath of God is what the left leaning pseudo scientific channels on Satellite call Catastrophic Climactic conditions. As IF it is God's Fault. Which it isn't.

If God wants to get wrathful, it's okay by me. :cool:

FlaGator
06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
If God wants to get wrathful, it's okay by me. :cool:

I think a little show of God's wrath might be a good thing.

To answer one of the above statements about the nature of God's wrath, I don't see anything wrong with God using nature or even man himself as a tool to express his wrath.

In fact for our friend Speedy, who apparently don't know very much about the Bible and the history it portrays, that is precisely what God did with the Babylonians.

After that, declares the LORD, I will hand over Zedekiah king of Judah, his officials and the people in this city who survive the plague, sword and famine, to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon and to their enemies who seek their lives. He will put them to the sword; he will show them no mercy or pity or compassion.' Jeremiah 21:7

And there is this little tidbit

Therefore the LORD Almighty says this: "Because you have not listened to my words, I will summon all the peoples of the north and my servant Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon," declares the LORD, "and I will bring them against this land and its inhabitants and against all the surrounding nations. I will completely destroy them and make them an object of horror and scorn, and an everlasting ruin. I will banish from them the sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of bride and bridegroom, the sound of millstones and the light of the lamp. This whole country will become a desolate wasteland, and these nations will serve the king of Babylon seventy years. Jeremiah 25:8-11

Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel are full of examples of God using the hand of man to demonstrate His wrath. The book of Revelation has example after example of God using nature to fulfill his wrath.

Gingersnap
06-24-2010, 07:58 PM
I think one of the problems in contemplating Divine anger today is that people love the Divine Mercy message but they aren't so hot on the Divine Justice angle. Divine Justice isn't human justice, no more than Divine Mercy is like human mercy.

I have no idea if the BP spill is related to the factors mentioned in the clip but it's interesting to think about.

Calypso Jones
06-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I think it is more that God is removing his protective hand. Additionally i don't really think it would be helpful if God showed His Wrath at this time. Secularists and Atheists would either say, Bull or God is Evil for allowing this to happen to 'good' people..meaning themselves.

Gingersnap
06-24-2010, 08:15 PM
I think it is more that God is removing his protective hand. Additionally i don't really think it would be helpful if God showed His Wrath at this time. Secularists and Atheists would either say, Bull or God is Evil for allowing this to happen to 'good' people..meaning themselves.

I don't think God actually cares about the atheist/agnostic opinion polling fallout. ;)

Rockntractor
06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
A sovereign God has every right to do anything he wants and I will no more understand why he does it than an ant will know what my work schedule is tomorrow.

Calypso Jones
06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't think God actually cares about the atheist/agnostic opinion polling fallout. ;)

I don't think He does either so it would just be a waste of time. Why should He try to convince them of anything. At this point, perhaps many are lost. Even some of us. Very likely me.

Rockntractor
06-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I don't think He does either so it would just be a waste of time. Why should He try to convince them of anything. At this point, perhaps many are lost. Even some of us. Very likely me.
We don't alway know the will of God in events that occur around us but we can know the will of god for our lives and how to be saved. It's all in the handbook.

Gingersnap
06-24-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't think He does either so it would just be a waste of time.

Sure, for you. I don't think God actually "wastes" time on anything. We may not get it but there is a Plan. It's like Rock said.

DU+NU_Reject
06-26-2010, 03:44 PM

...but I feel like Speedy's post deserves a 'Bob Dobbs' nonetheless.

noonwitch
06-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Well, for what it's worth, the Reverend Doctors Jack and Rexella Van Impe have declared that the BP oil spill is foretold in Revelation, that Obama is the "one world leader" to come (they haven't used the ac word yet), and they are looking to the sky because Jesus will be rapturing them up any day now.

Send them some money so they can save more people before that last day!!!!

I am not poking fun at genuine believers in the literal interpretation of Revelation. Just the Van Impes.

Rockntractor
06-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Well, for what it's worth, the Reverend Doctors Jack and Rexella Van Impe have declared that the BP oil spill is foretold in Revelation, that Obama is the "one world leader" to come (they haven't used the ac word yet), and they are looking to the sky because Jesus will be rapturing them up any day now.

I am not poking fun at genuine believers in the literal interpretation of Revelation. Just the Van Impes.
This is a big day in Impedom, really big!:eek:

DU+NU_Reject
06-28-2010, 03:05 PM

I still like Speedy's post, because even an (agnostic) atheist can accept his interpretation as merited. Not even Spock (the one from the 60s) could turn his nose up at the thought of "if there was an all-powerful, Universal Creator entity, it would likely not go out of its way to hurt its own children."

Would any of you parents out there genuinely go out of your way to inflict pain on your own offspring, simply because you disapprove of their behavior??

(note: "inflict pain", as opposed to the usual "physically discipline" children, which is a separate matter altogether)

Maybe my sense of humor just isn't working like it should, given the light-hearted nature of your post. :o

Speedy
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
I still like Speedy's post, because even an (agnostic) atheist can accept his interpretation as merited. Not even Spock (the one from the 60s) could turn his nose up at the thought of "if there was an all-powerful, Universal Creator entity, it would likely not go out of its way to hurt its own children." :o

God created the Universe, the stars and galaxies. And to show his wrath, the best he can do is an oil spilll? I stand by my original statement. Considering how omnipotent God is, a disaster on level he would not even bother with.

Wei Wu Wei
06-28-2010, 05:01 PM
A sovereign God has every right to do anything he wants and I will no more understand why he does it than an ant will know what my work schedule is tomorrow.

Difference is ants don't worry about your schedule or why you do what you do.

lacarnut
06-28-2010, 05:32 PM
God created the Universe, the stars and galaxies. And to show his wrath, the best he can do is an oil spilll? I stand by my original statement. Considering how omnipotent God is, a disaster on level he would not even bother with.

I have to agree with that.

Articulate_Ape
06-28-2010, 07:05 PM

I agree. I mean it would be like god demolishing two tiny cities on some desolate area of Earth because the inhabitants were predominantly rump rangers. It's a ridiculous notion.

malloc
06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree. I mean it would be like god demolishing two tiny cities on some desolate area of Earth because the inhabitants were predominantly rump rangers. It's a ridiculous notion.

Yeah, but raining brimstone and sulfur and fire makes a statement! An oil spill just makes a mess. That is unless we do actually get our hurricane made of fire as posted in the weather channel. Then I'll most certainly believe that this is more than coincidence.

Articulate_Ape
06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah, but raining brimstone and sulfur and fire makes a statement! An oil spill just makes a mess. That is unless we do actually get our hurricane made of fire as posted in the weather channel. Then I'll most certainly believe that this is more than coincidence.

True, that certainly would be bigger than sending Gideon a dewy gmail for sure.

Rockntractor
06-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Difference is ants don't worry about your schedule or why you do what you do.

I don't worry about what Gods schedule is or what he will do next either.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

Rockntractor
06-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Nothing is to great or small to escape Gods notice. He even sees a sparrow fall.
Matthew 10:29 (King James Version)

Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

Speedy
06-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Nothing is to great or small to escape Gods notice. He even sees a sparrow fall.
Matthew 10:29 (King James Version)

Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

That's right. God knows when a sparrow falls, but does not bother himself with slapping it out of the air.

Rockntractor
06-28-2010, 11:21 PM
That's right. God knows when a sparrow falls, but does not bother himself with slapping it out of the air.

He did with quail to feed the children of Israel, my point is no detail escapes God and if it ifs for his purpose he will do it.

Articulate_Ape
06-28-2010, 11:43 PM
He did with quail to feed the children of Israel, my point is no detail escapes God and if it ifs for his purpose he will do it.

The dinosaurs he plumb forgot appreciate that. But they're baa-aack.

Rockntractor
06-28-2010, 11:51 PM
The dinosaurs he plumb forgot appreciate that.

The piles of crap they left behind were to hard to deal with. It really chapped him!

FlaGator
06-29-2010, 08:09 AM

If God were to do something major, say something that only God could do, then what would that do to faith? Would faith not be dead because of evidence of the existence of God?

In Egypt He plagued the people with fleas and frogs. Not exactly spectacular miricles.

God is always in control. He runs the show. Everything and every event no matter how small is ordained by God either by direct action or choosen inaction. So to say that God wouldn't bother with small things is to completely misunderstand God. He knows the movement of every particle in the creation. Nothing is too large for Him to handle nor to small for him to notice. To be less that that is not to be God at all. To put any limits on God is to declare him a finite being.

noonwitch
06-29-2010, 09:16 AM
In Egypt He plagued the people with fleas and frogs. Not exactly spectacular miricles.

Not until Cecil B. DeMille decided to film the subject. Plus, God did get progressively more expressive with the Egyptians, including turning the Nile to blood and sending whatever killed the firstborns, which DeMille depicted as a creepy green fog.

FlaGator
06-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Not until Cecil B. DeMille decided to film the subject. Plus, God did get progressively more expressive with the Egyptians, including turning the Nile to blood and sending whatever killed the firstborns, which DeMille depicted as a creepy green fog.

The Nile being turned in to blood could have been red tide. That God uses nature as the source of his wrath should not be surprising. It would explain why the Hebrews would see miracles like water from a rock or other things and then disbelieve after a little time pasted. God seems to always leave the door open to alternate explanations in order maintain the need for faith. To do something that would remove all doubt of His existance would eliminate faith.

I have had some small miracles happen to me that at the time I knew were acts of God that later I tried to tell myself that they were coincidents or something lik that. However, there are 3 miracles in my life that I've never been able to later excuse as something else. One was God taking my alcoholism away from me and another was when I quit smoking. Even other smokers noticed the ease at which I stopped a 3 pack a day habit.