PDA

View Full Version : Massive US Naval Armada Heads For Iran,preparing for a naval blockade !

megimoo
08-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Massive US Naval Armada Heads For Iran

I Just noticed the name :Operation Brimstone !

"This means war I tell you/Mahmoud Ahmadinejad off !":D

Operation Brimstone ended only one week ago. This was the joint US/UK/French naval war games in the Atlantic Ocean preparing for a naval blockade of Iran and the likely resulting war in the Persian Gulf area. The massive war games included a US Navy supercarrier battle group, an US Navy expeditionary carrier battle group, a Royal Navy carrier battle group, a More.. French nuclear hunter-killer submarine plus a large number of US Navy cruisers, destroyers and frigates playing the "enemy force".

The lead American ship in these war games, the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN71) and its Carrier Strike Group Two (CCSG-2) are now headed towards Iran along with the USS Ronald Reagon (CVN76) and its Carrier Strike Group Seven (CCSG-7) coming from Japan.

Northrop X47b UCAS's over the Operation Brimstone flotilla

They are joining two existing USN battle groups in the Gulf area: the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN72) with its Carrier Strike Group Nine (CCSG-9); and the USS Peleliu (LHA-5) with its expeditionary strike group.

Likely also under way towards the Persian Gulf is the USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7) and its expeditionary strike group, the UK Royal Navy HMS Ark Royal (R07) carrier battle group, assorted French naval assets including the nuclear hunter-killer submarine Amethyste and French Naval Rafale fighter jets on-board the USS Theodore Roosevelt. These ships took part in the just completed Operation Brimstone.

The build up of naval forces in the Gulf will be one of the largest multi-national naval armadas since the First and Second Gulf Wars. The intent is to create a US/EU naval blockade (which is an Act of War under international law) around Iran (with supporting air and land elements) to prevent the shipment of benzene and certain other refined oil products headed to Iranian ports. Iran has limited domestic oil refining capacity and imports 40% of its benzene. Cutting off benzene and other key products would cripple the Iranian economy. The neo-cons are counting on such a blockade launching a war with Iran.

The US Naval forces being assembled include the following:

Carrier Strike Group Nine
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN72) nuclear powered supercarrier
with its Carrier Air Wing Two
Destroyer Squadron Nine:
USS Mobile Bay (CG53) guided missile cruiser
USS Russell (DDG59) guided missile destroyer
USS Momsen (DDG92) guided missile destroyer
USS Shoup (DDG86) guided missile destroyer
USS Ford (FFG54) guided missile frigate
USS Ingraham (FFG61) guided missile frigate
USS Rodney M. Davis (FFG60) guided missile frigate
USS Curts (FFG38) guided missile frigate
Plus one or more nuclear hunter-killer submarines

Peleliu Expeditionary Strike Group
USS Peleliu (LHA-5) a Tarawa-class amphibious assault carrier
USS Pearl Harbor (LSD52) assult ship
USS Dubuque (LPD8) assult ship/landing dock
USS Cape St. George (CG71) guided missile cruiser
USS Halsey (DDG97) guided missile destroyer
USS Benfold (DDG65) guided missile destroyer

Carrier Strike Group Two
USS Theodore Roosevelt (DVN71) nuclear powered supercarrier
with its Carrier Air Wing Eight
Destroyer Squadron 22
USS Monterey (CG61) guided missile cruiser
USS Mason (DDG87) guided missile destroyer
USS Nitze (DDG94) guided missile destroyer
USS Sullivans (DDG68) guided missile destroyer

USS Springfield (SSN761) nuclear powered hunter-killer submarine

IWO ESG ~ Iwo Jima Expeditionary Strike Group
USS Iwo Jima (LHD7) amphibious assault carrier
with its Amphibious Squadron Four
and with its 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit
USS San Antonio (LPD17) assault ship
USS Velia Gulf (CG72) guided missile cruiser
USS Ramage (DDG61) guided missile destroyer
USS Carter Hall (LSD50) assault ship
USS Roosevelt (DDG80) guided missile destroyer

USS Hartfore (SSN768) nuclear powered hunter-killer submarine

Carrier Strike Group Seven
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN76) nuclear powered supercarrier
with its Carrier Air Wing 14
Destroyer Squadron 7
USS Chancellorsville (CG62) guided missile cruiser
USS Howard (DDG83) guided missile destroyer
USS Gridley (DDG101) guided missile destroyer
USS Decatur (DDG73) guided missile destroyer
USS Thach (FFG43) guided missile frigate
USNS Rainier (T-AOE-7) fast combat support ship

Also likely to join the battle armada:

UK Royal Navy HMS Ark Royal Carrier Strike Group with assorted guided missile destroyers and frigates, nuclear hunter-killer submarines and support ships

French Navy nuclear powered hunter-killer submarines (likely the Amethyste and perhaps others),
plus French Naval Rafale fighter jets operating off of the
USS Theodore Roosevelt as the French Carrier
Charles de Gaulle is in dry dock, and assorted surface warships

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=704_1218207188

Ranger Rick
08-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Neo-cons? I never thought the British or French Neo-cons. And who is this Timithy guy, that I should believe him?

PB2012
08-10-2008, 10:22 PM
My father used to be stationed on the USS Monterey.
I'm glad that was like 10yrs ago.
Either way, that is an awful lot of ships.

megimoo
08-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Neo-cons? I never thought the British or French Neo-cons. And who is this Timithy guy, that I should believe him?

Here read about it here also !

http://europebusines.blogspot.com/2008/08/massive-us-naval-armada-heads-for-iran.html
http://www.infowars.com/?p=3849
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/35448
http://www.propeller.com/story/2008/08/08/massive-us-naval-armada-heads-for-iran/

Nubs
08-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Interesting

My brother heads to Diego Garcia in a week for a 1 year tour

Troll
08-10-2008, 11:30 PM
I've never heard of Liveleak - is that a fairly trustworthy news source?

Honestly, I've seen quite a few "US gears up for Iran attack" or "Fleet of ships heading to Iran" or "US will bomb Iran on this date" stories over the last two years - mostly on CU. I'm going to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism about this story until I see otherwise.

Sonnabend
08-11-2008, 07:20 AM
If this is an unpublished troop movement, there will be hell to pay.

megimoo
08-11-2008, 12:04 PM

Honestly, I've seen quite a few "US gears up for Iran attack" or "Fleet of ships heading to Iran" or "US will bomb Iran on this date" stories over the last two years - mostly on CU. I'm going to maintain a healthy dose of skepticism about this story until I see otherwise.
Hey troll I've included several others and they all say the same thing.Chances are that the story is true don't you think ??

PB2012
08-11-2008, 12:11 PM

If you want to find out for sure try

http://www.snopes.com

Ranger Rick
08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Here read about it here also !

http://europebusines.blogspot.com/2008/08/massive-us-naval-armada-heads-for-iran.html
http://www.infowars.com/?p=3849
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/35448
http://www.propeller.com/story/2008/08/08/massive-us-naval-armada-heads-for-iran/

They are all the same story, right down to the same misspellings. Kind'a kicks the old BS meter up.

Got anything else?

Troll
08-11-2008, 02:48 PM
They are all the same story, right down to the same misspellings. Kind'a kicks the old BS meter up.

Got anything else?

My BS meter went screaming off the scale when I saw "Infowars" listed.

megimoo
08-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Will You believe a US Navy Release About Opoeration Brimstone ?

"They're Just Blowing A Little 'Smoke' Up The Iranian Ayatollah Ali Khamenei Ass !

From Commander, U.S. 2nd Fleet Public Affairs
"JTFEX 08-4 "Operation Brimstone" Flexes Allied Force Training
Story Number: NNS080715-21
Release Date: 7/15/2008 5:17:00 PM

NORFOLK (NNS) -- More than 15,000 service members from four countries will participate in Joint Task Force Exercise (JTFEX) 08-4 "Operation Brimstone", July 21-31 in North Carolina and off the eastern U.S. coast from Virginia to Florida.

JTFEX 08-4 serves as a ready-for-deployment certification event for the Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (TR CSG) and the Iwo Jima Expeditionary Strike Group (IWO ESG). The exercise will also serve as a Joint Task Force Capable Headquarters sustainment event. In addition, JTFEX 08-4 will offer preliminary accreditation for 2nd Fleet's Maritime Headquarters with Maritime Operations Center (MHQ with MOC)). MHQ with MOC is a new approach to command and control for fleet commanders.

"This exercise is a tremendous opportunity to train; not only as the Navy and Marine Corps team, but with our joint and coalition partners as well," said Commander, 2nd Fleet Vice Adm. Marty Chanik.

"JTFEX 08-4 will flex our warfighting capabilities from the operational level through expeditionary strike force and strike group operations with several of our coalition partners Ė France, Brazil and the United Kingdom."

The exercise also marks the first time that forces from Navy Expeditionary Combat Command are participating in an East-Coast JTFEX. NECC forces operating in the littorals and riverine environment are supporting integrated operations.

"Navy Expeditionary Combat Command provides a self-contained adaptive force package with a command element tailored to support the full spectrum of operations from major combat operations to unconventional and irregular warfare," said NECC commander Rear Adm. Mike Tillotson.

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=38478

megimoo
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Operation Brimstone: Preparing for WWIII

In order to enforce the seriousness of the U.S.-EU position against Iran with the threat of serious sanctions Debka reports a dozen warships from the U.S.-UK-France and a Brazilian frigate began ten days of maneuvers Monday in the Atlantic off the U.S. coast to practice the blockading of Iranís coast in the Strait of Hormuz.

The exercises have been called "Operation Brimstone" and are lead by the USS Theodore Rooselvelt Carrier Strike group and the USS Iwo Jima Expedtionary Strike Group which carries ground forces trained in operating in shallow coastal-littoral waters and the seizure of islands like the ones in the Strait of Hormuz, Qeshm for example. The narrow island is about fifty miles long and just a few miles off Bandar Abbas believed to be the headquarters of Iranís Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) and the small islands in the strait are manned by Revolutionary Guard Marines. [DEBKA]

Knesset -The IRGC will no doubt have Iranian air and naval support as the combined U.S.-EU forces attempt to enforce a blockade intended to target shipments of benzene and other refined oil products as they head for Iranian ports. Iran does not have much oil refining capacity and therefore has to import 40% of its benzene.

France24 recorded British Prime Minister Gordon Brownís speech in front of Israelís Knesset in Jerusalem in which he reinforced the two week sanctions ultimatum by EU foreign policy representative Javier Solana and U.S. Secretary of State Dr. Condoleezza Rice, "Iran now has a clear choice to make: suspend its nuclear programme and accept our offer of negotiations or face growing isolation and the collective response not of just one nation but of all nations round the world. Just as we heave led the work of three mandatory sanctions resolutions of the UN, the UK will continue to lead-with the United States and our European Union partners-in our determination to prevent an Iranian nuclear weapons programme."

http://www.infowars.com/?p=3519

Troll
08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Will You believe a US Navy Release About Opoeration Brimstone ?

"They're Just Blowing A Little 'Smoke' Up The Iranian Ayatollah Ali Khamenei Ass !

I must be missing something then. That article is just under a month old, and I read through the whole thing without encountering the words "Iran", "Persian Gulf", "Middle East", or "Ass". :confused:

LogansPapa
08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
megi-hump strikes again?:cool:

megimoo
08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I must be missing something then. That article is just under a month old, and I read through the whole thing without encountering the words "Iran", "Persian Gulf", "Middle East", or "Ass". :confused:

Aimed at giving military teeth to the two-week ultimatum the six world powers gave Iran in Geneva Saturday to accept the suspension of uranium enrichment or face harsh sanctions and isolation.

"Look for the word 'blockade' as in the latest US resolution.How do you blockade an nation like Iran but with a crap load of warships .They will practice with the European and Brazilian navy's in the Atlantic and all the while steam towards the Persian Gulf !"

The 'Ass' part is mine i admit ,Just an old U.S. Navy expression !

US, UK, France launch sea exercise for naval blockade on Iran

US Expeditionary Combat Command unit exercises skills
The White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said it expected Iran to “miss an opportunity to accept” the incentives package.

DEBKAfile’s military sources report that Operational Brimstone, starting Monday, July 21, aimed at giving military teeth to the two-week ultimatum the six world powers gave Iran in Geneva Saturday to accept the suspension of uranium enrichment or face harsh sanctions and isolation.

After warning of punitive measures against Iran, Condoleezza Rice met the six members of the Gulf Cooperation Council plus Egypt, Jordan and Iraq in Abu Dhabi. First she was briefed by Under Secretary of State William Burns.

The penalty of withholding refined oil products from Iran would be exercised by means of a partial international naval blockade of its Gulf ports.

Taking part in the 10-day exercise in the Atlantic Ocean are more than a dozen ships, including the US carrier strike group Theodore Roosevelt and expeditionary strike group Iwo Jima; the French submarine Amethyste, and the British HMS Illustrious Carrier Strike Group, as well as a Brazilian frigate.

Six vessels from the Norfolk Naval State will play the role of “enemy” forces.

About 15,000 sailors will be involved in Operation Brimstone. Both the Roosevelt and Iwo Jima will be deployed in the Middle East in the coming months.

The exercise is scheduled to end July 31, two days before the US-European ultimatum to Iran expires. Immediately after the Geneva talks ended in failure, the US State Department issued a statement giving Tehran the option of “cooperation or confrontation.”

A partial blockade of Iran’s shores, a key element of the new sanctions, would be limited to withholding from Iran supplies of benzene and other refined oil products - not foodstuffs or other commodities. Short of refining capacity, Iran has to import 40 percent of its benzene consumption and will be forced to react to the stoppage.

Operation Brimstone boasts two striking features:

1. It will include for the first time units of the US Expeditionary Combat Command, who are trained to operate in shallow coastal waters and rivers, such as the coastal waters of the Persian Gulf and the small islands around its chokepoint, the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian Revolutionary Guards marine units are posted on these islands.

The international force will have to control the islands to ensure oil shipping freed passage out to world markets.

2. The Roosevelt’s decks will for the first time host French Rafale fighter jets which will share space with US warplanes, while the only French carrier Charles de Gaulle undergoes maintenance.

Our military sources note that French warplanes have in the past performed short landings and takeoff drills on US carriers from the Charles de Gaulle, but never before taken part in a fully cooperative operational exercise.

This joint endeavor signifies that French President Nicolas Sarkozy is fully committed to a joint US-European military action if necessary to halt Iran’s progress toward a nuclear weapon.

http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=5452

megimoo
08-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Analysis: Is war in the (Gulf) air?

-- No sooner had Operation Brimstone ended -- a mega joint U.S., British and French naval exercise held in the Atlantic Ocean where the allies practiced enforcing an eventual blockade on Iran -- when, according to numerous reports, the armada set sail for the Gulf waters -- and a potential showdown with Iran.
The move comes shortly after the European Union issued a decree Friday authorizing the imposition of stronger sanctions against Iran, on top of existing U.N. Security Council sanctions, over its refusal to back down from its controversial nuclear program.

Leading the joint naval task force is the nuclear-powered carrier the USS Theodore Roosevelt and its Carrier Strike Group Two; besides its 80-plus combat planes the Roosevelt normally transports, it is carrying an additional load of French Naval Rafale fighter jets from the French carrier Charles de Gaulle, currently in dry dock.

Also reported heading toward Iran is another nuclear-powered carrier, the USS Ronald Reagan and its Carrier Strike Group Seven; the USS Iwo Jima, the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal and a number of French warships, including the nuclear hunter-killer submarine Amethyste.

Once on site, the joint naval force in the Persian Gulf region will be joining two other U.S. naval battle groups already in position: the USS Abraham Lincoln and the USS Peleliu; the Lincoln with its carrier strike group and the latter with an expeditionary strike group.

Meanwhile, Tehran seems undeterred, saying it will not back down on its nuclear stance, regardless of the threat of stricter sanctions, an Iranian government spokesman said Sunday.

And a European diplomat was quoted as saying that Britain, the United States and France could impose sanctions that go beyond what is called for by the United Nations, in essence giving weight to the formidable armada currently heading toward Iran.

"It is important that our country is ready to insist on its rights under any conditions," Iranian spokesman Gholam-Hossein Elham was quoted by the Iranian Students' News Agency. "Our stance would not change with sanctions or the threat of sanctions," added the spokesman.

Led by the United States and leading EU members Britain, France and Germany and supported by China and Russia, all have tried to persuade Iran to freeze its uranium enrichment program.

Expecting a formal reply from Iran, the six nations leading the charge against Iran's nuclear ambitions were disappointed when the much awaited reply was a non-committal one-page letter, despite a promise from Iran that it would provide a "clear response."

The deployment of the multinational naval task force is the largest show of military power from the United States and allied countries to assemble around the strategic waters of the Persian Gulf since the First and Second Gulf wars.

The object of the naval deployment would be to enforce an eventual

http://www.metimes.com/Security/2008/08/11/analysis_is_war_in_the_gulf_air/ca8a/