PDA

View Full Version : TV Episodes that Turned You on to a New Series.

Speedy
07-10-2010, 03:52 PM
There are series on TV all the time that I have no desire of watching. They seem uninteresting or boring and I pay no attention to them. Then when nothing is on I watch an episode and low and behold I am pleasantly surprised and wind up being a fan after catching an episode.

One of these was the episode Guess What's Coming to Dinner of Battlestar Galactica. While I had no idea what was going on as I had not watched even a second of BSG up to then, I was riveted. The tension and suspense through out the episode was breathtaking. It had some incredible moments like a young wounded officer who had been shot having his leg aputated and begging the doctor not to put him under because he did not want to wake up later with his leg gone. Later in the episode when he could not stand the pain he would sing a mournful ballad in a beautiful voice.

There was a scene where an enemy baseship (commandeered by friendlies) appears right in the middle of the human fleet and Battlestar Galactica springs into action, launching fighters and the Combat Air Patrol already out speeds to defend the human ships as they jump away in a panic. I watched this scene with my jaw on the floor. And as the Commander gives the order to fire the XO yells "Weapons Hold!" on a hunch. I breathed a sigh of relief. It was that good. I was a fan from then on.

Another show that took just one episode to hook me was Community. The first episode I saw of this one was Modern War. The Community College organizes a paintball game that turns primal when the prize (Priority Registration) is announced. It uses every action movie cliche from Die Hard to John Woo movies, including a dapper, suit and sunglass wearing, toothpick chewing, machinegun toting assassin. There was plenty of diving over furniture, pointing guns in each other's face and even a suicide paint bomber cackling insanely as the timer on his bomb counted down. This show was hilarious and it has never let me down.

NJCardFan
07-11-2010, 12:26 AM
The Contest episode from Seinfeld.

noonwitch
07-12-2010, 05:16 PM
The Lost pilot episode had me hooked.

marinejcksn
07-12-2010, 06:02 PM
"Pine Barrens" from the 3rd season of The Sopranos. I dare you to watch this and not laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4OakqPbUj0

:D

GREATEST.....TELEVISION SERIES.....EVER.

CueSi
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Negro Y Azul -- S-2 Ep- 7 of Breaking Bad.

~QC

Hawkgirl
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM