PDA

View Full Version : Historian Totally Misunderstands Tea Party.

Gingersnap
07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
The Tea Party and the New Right-Wing Christian Feminism

By Ruth Rosen

Ruth Rosen, a former columnist at the Los Angeles Times and the San Francisco Chronicle, is also an historian who currently teaches at the University of California, Berkeley. She is the author of "The World Split Open: How the Modern Women's Movement Changed America" (Viking, 2006). This article originally appeared at openDemocracy.

Most Americans are not quite sure what to make of the sprawling right-wing Tea Party, which gradually emerged in 2009 and became a household name after it held nationwide Tea Party rallies on April 15, 2010, to protest paying taxes. Throwing tea overboard, as you may remember, is an important symbolic image of the colonial anger at Britain's policy of "taxation without representation."

Many liberals and leftists dismissed the Tea Party as a temporary, knee-jerk response to the recession, high employment, home foreclosures, bankruptcies, and an African American president who had saved American capitalism by expanding the government's subsidies to the financial, real estate, and automobile industries. Perhaps it is a temporary political eruption, but as E.J. Dionne, columnist at the Washington Post has argued, the movement also threatens the hard-won unity of the Republicans. "The rise of the tea party movement," he writes, "is a throwback to an old form of libertarianism that sees most of the domestic policies that government has undertaken since the New Deal as unconstitutional. It typically perceives the most dangerous threats to freedom as the design of well-educated elitists out of touch with 'American values.'"

Who are these angry people who express so much resentment against the government, rather than at corporations? Since national polls dramatically contradict each other, I have concluded that the Tea Party movement has energized people across all classes.

One important difference, however, is race. At Tea Party rallies you don't see faces with dark complexions. Another important distinction is that men and women are drawn to this sprawling movement for a variety of overlapping but possibly different reasons. Both men and women seem to embrace an incoherent "ideology" which calls for freedom from government, no taxes, and an inchoate desire to "take back America," which means restoring the nation to some moment when the country was white and "safe."

Men drawn to this movement appear to belong to a broad range of fringe right-wing groups, such as militias, white supremacy groups, pro-gun and confederacy "armies." Some of these groups advocate violence, vow to overthrow the government, and have even begun to use Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to spread their hatred through social media.

Women also play a decisive role in the Tea Party and now make up 55 percent of its supporters, according to the latest Quinnipiac poll. Hanna Rosin reports in Slate that "of the eight board members of the Tea Party Patriots who serve as national coordinators for the movement, six are women. Fifteen of the twenty-five state coordinators are women."

Why, I've wondered, does this chaotic movement appeal to so many women? There are many possible reasons. Some of the women in these groups are certainly women who love men who love guns and who hate the government and taxes. Professor Kathleen Blee, who has written widely about right-wing women, suggests that there are probably more religious right-wing women than men in general, that Tea Party rallies may attract more women who are not working and therefore can attend them, and that the Tea Party emphasizes family vulnerability to all kinds of external danger.

Best peice of agitprop I've read all day. They have a comment section, if you're interested.

HNN (http://www.hnn.us/articles/128792.html)

NJCardFan
07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Wow. Misunderstood isn't the right word. An outright lie is the right word:

Lie #1:

At Tea Party rallies you don't see faces with dark complexions.
http://afrocityblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/black-man-tea-party.jpg
http://nikolasschiller.com/photo/tea_party_912_2009/tea_party_912dc_9_yeah.jpg
http://afrocityblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/tea_party_912dc_12_blowing_mad_money.jpg
http://photos.upi.com/slideshow/lbox/373df360c9352946d3888eb7d011786c/Tea-Party.jpg

Lie #2:

Both men and women seem to embrace an incoherent "ideology" which calls for freedom from government, no taxes, and an inchoate desire to "take back America," which means restoring the nation to some moment when the country was white and "safe."
Nowhere does the Tea Party mention no taxes. The term TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already meaning that we realize that taxes are a necessary evil. What we're jazzed about is where that tax money goes.

Lie #3:

Men drawn to this movement appear to belong to a broad range of fringe right-wing groups, such as militias, white supremacy groups, pro-gun and confederacy "armies." Some of these groups advocate violence, vow to overthrow the government, and have even begun to use Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to spread their hatred through social media.
This is as bald faced a lie as you're going to get. Not 1 sign at a Tea Party rally advocated an overthrow of the government or any violence whatsoever. Sure there are crackpots who are going to be attracted to the movement and that goes for all stripes of movements. And I can point out that more violence has been attached to left wing political movements than any Tea Party has ever even thought about doing. Unless I'm dreaming all the shit ELF/ALF and the Weather Underground has done. But to say that the only men drawn to this movement are from " fringe right-wing groups, such as militias, white supremacy groups, pro-gun and confederacy "armies" is not only absurd but is a blatant lie.

Lie #4:

Some of the women in these groups are certainly women who love men who love guns and who hate the government and taxes.
Couldn't possibly be that these woman actually can think for themselves, who are hard working people who are tired of seeing 50% of their earnings being seized for the "common good". Noooo.

Lie #5:

that Tea Party rallies may attract more women who are not working and therefore can attend them
Considering that a majority of Tea Partiers are tax payers, this statement is about as stupid as it gets. However, it wouldn't be surprising that a lot are stay at home moms and we all know that the left absolutely abhors women who would rather raise a family than work outside the home.

It's this kind of out right bullshit that burns me up. These people either do not get it or do get it and choose to be dishonest about it. This article is just another pack of lies by the liberal elite who don't have a logical and concise argument against it so their only course of action is to make shit up and marginalize. Alinsky would be proud.

hoplophobe
07-12-2010, 03:37 PM
From the article:

The Tea Party panders to fear and resentment. But they are hardly a lonely minority. A recent USA Today/Gallup survey found that 37 percent of Americans said they "approved" of the Tea Party movement. It is not a movement that Americans should ignore. History reminds us that the politics of fear and resentment can quickly turn into a dangerous and powerful political force.
A cookie for the first person who can tell me what the author means by the part in bold above.

lacarnut
07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I can not wait for the elections in Nov to hear the whinny left wing liberals getting the piss knocked out of them.

CueSi
07-12-2010, 04:44 PM
From the article:

A cookie for the first person who can tell me what the author means by the part in bold above.

Opposing Obama=Nazi.

~QC

hoplophobe
07-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Opposing Obama=Nazi.

~QC
Winner!!!

NJCardFan
07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Opposing Obama=Nazi.

~QC

Damn! Beat me to it.