PDA

View Full Version : Aussies crack cancer secret

Sonnabend
08-11-2008, 07:30 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24157781-421,00.html

AUSTRALIAN scientists are hoping to cure leukaemia, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis after their breakthrough discovery of how to stop killer blood cells growing.The team has unlocked the secrets behind the protein which controls the way the blood cancer cells spread when it is damaged - and have found a way to stop its deadly process.
They did it again...first a new and incredible burns treatment, now this.

Work is now starting to design a drug to prevent the damaged proteins operating, effectively stopping the cancer as well as asthma and inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis.
After spending a decade uncovering the structure of the receptor protein, which sits on the surface of white blood cells, lead researcher Professor Michael Parker, of Melbourne's St Vincent's Institute, said scientists could now build a drug to attach itself to the protein and stop it sending messages into the cells telling them to multiply unchecked.I have heard Australia called a "third world country"..well guess what, we got there FIRST.

"If we can stop the signal for the proliferation of uncontrolled growth of the cells then we can stop the leukaemia in its tracks," he said.Working with molecular biologists at Adelaide's Hanson Institute, the Melbourne scientists used X-ray and synchrotron imaging to build an image of the structure of the protein for the first time, hoping to find a way to block its process.

We have a long way to go. We broke Thalidomide, we helped invent penicillin..our scientists are on the cutting edge of technology. Look for an announcement into gene therapy and surgery soon

The GM-CSF hormone - which controls the production of blood cells in the body - works by attaching itself to the receptor proteins, which then send a message into white blood cells telling them to multiply.
When damaged, the protein's messages cause an over-production of cells or cells which persist too long, resulting in diseases such as leukaemia as well as some inflammatory conditions.

The major breakthrough came when the researchers realised the proteins linked together to form networks on the surface of white blood cells after being activated by the hormone, and that by stopping the networks forming they could also stop the growth.One step closer.

Liam Heudebourck, who was diagnosed with asthma four years ago, was yesterday hopeful about the discovery.The Camden seven-year-old was admitted to hospital in March after suffering a major attack."If scientists found a cure or something that could help not to have his puffer every day, that would be great," his mother, Belinda English said. Asthma is a major child killer...now we have taken the first step in stopping it cold.

While the drug development phase has only just begun, Professor Parker said it would be easier to target a protein on the surface of the cell rather than trying to come up with a molecule to break its way into the centre of the cellGood luck, Professor.

noonwitch
08-11-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't know much about this kind of thing, but any progress is good. I had some second or so cousins who had been kicked out of Tito's worker's paradise who were cancer researchers (my grandpa's niece by his half-sister and her husband)-they were studying the effects of vitamin C on cancer cells, and had developed a procedure to diagnose cancer with a blood test (in the 70s), or at least this is how it was explained to me.

They visited us once in Grand Rapids, when I was in 9th grade, and they were moving from London to LA. They wanted to see our science textbooks, and my brother the genius was taking calculus, so they looked at his math book and homework.

wilbur
08-11-2008, 09:03 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24157781-421,00.html

They did it again...first a new and incredible burns treatment, now this.

I have heard Australia called a "third world country"..well guess what, we got there FIRST.

We have a long way to go. We broke Thalidomide, we helped invent penicillin..our scientists are on the cutting edge of technology. Look for an announcement into gene therapy and surgery soon

One step closer.

Asthma is a major child killer...now we have taken the first step in stopping it cold.

Good luck, Professor.

Given the failings public education and an atmosphere that is suspicious and antagonistic towards science and higher learning, it wont surprise me to see the US eclipsed by other nations in regard to important scientific discoveries and accomplishments.

Sonnabend
08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I am just very proud of what they have done.

wilbur
08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
I am just very proud of what they have done.

Its great stuff (and extremely fascinating).

jinxmchue
08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
As someone whose life has been affected by both asthma (life-long sufferer, thankfully mild) and cancer (took my dad's life and has affected others in my family), all I can say is "GO AUSTRALIA!!!"