PDA

View Full Version : 11-Year-Old Robs Walgreens, Police Say

Zafod
08-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Check out the picture of this fine young man :rolleyes:

http://www.local6.com/news/17154809/detail.html

Officers said the 11-year-old boy walked into a Walgreens store on Kirkman Road near Raleigh Street at about 3:30 a.m. and demanded money.

A veteran lieutenant said the incident left him shaking his head, especially since the child walked into the business alone.

One of the workers in the Walgreens called 911 while the robbery was still in progress.

Orlando officers were able to catch the 11-year-old as he ran from the store, police said.

The pistols in the boy's possession turned out to be BB guns, but the child did get money from the store's register, police said.

WHAT?!!

linda22003
08-11-2008, 01:11 PM
No picture of the kid there, just the anchor reporting the story.

Zafod
08-11-2008, 01:18 PM
No picture of the kid there, just the anchor reporting the story.

http://www.local6.com/2008/0811/17158420.jpg

OwlMBA
08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow. A black kid broke the law. What is the world coming to?

Theophilus
08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Wow. A black kid broke the law. What is the world coming to?

Fortunately he wasn't shot. Maybe he will turn his life around.

noonwitch
08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Fortunately he wasn't shot. Maybe he will turn his life around.

He was 11, and he didn't kill anyone. He can still be rehabilitated. If he had killed someone in the process, the odds for rehabilitation would be much lower. Maybe in the process of the juvenile justice system, he'll get a good mentor or get placed with a good foster family after completing a treatment program.

He probably will need some good male role models to make it to adulthood successfully-I know that sounds trivial, but it is so important.

Lanie
08-11-2008, 03:40 PM
He was 11, and he didn't kill anyone. He can still be rehabilitated. If he had killed someone in the process, the odds for rehabilitation would be much lower. Maybe in the process of the juvenile justice system, he'll get a good mentor or get placed with a good foster family after completing a treatment program.

He probably will need some good male role models to make it to adulthood successfully-I know that sounds trivial, but it is so important.

I'd be surprised if they didn't try to try him as an adult.

Theophilus
08-11-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd be surprised if they didn't try to try him as an adult.What makes you think they would? He's eleven. :confused:

noonwitch
08-11-2008, 04:30 PM
What makes you think they would? He's eleven. :confused:

Michigan tried an 11 year old for murder-he ended up being sentenced as a juvenile, finished his time in the training school, and now in his early 20s, is looking at 20 years for possession with intent to distribute ecstasy (Nathaniel Abraham-the one who was going to go on Oprah after his release at 21, but she wouldn't have him after he got all pimped out for his release hearing).

Theophilus
08-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Michigan tried an 11 year old for murder-he ended up being sentenced as a juvenile, finished his time in the training school, and now in his early 20s, is looking at 20 years for possession with intent to distribute ecstasy (Nathaniel Abraham-the one who was going to go on Oprah after his release at 21, but she wouldn't have him after he got all pimped out for his release hearing).

As it is I suppose it is armed robbery even if it was a BB gun.

lacarnut
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
What makes you think they would? He's eleven. :confused:

Because Lanie thinks us Conservatives are cruel and bloodthirsty. :eek::)

PB2012
08-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Im surpirsed that the cashier gave the kid money.
I mean I guess he/she didnt know it wasnt a real gun, but I think I would laugh at a little kid trying to hold up a store.
Either way, I think the kid should spend a few nights in the slammer so he can see what he did was wrong

Shannon
08-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I'd be surprised if they didn't try to try him as an adult.

It's Florida. We'll try to execute him.;)

Cold Warrior
08-11-2008, 07:13 PM
It's Florida. We'll try to execute him.;)

Ha! I lived in FL during the days when Bob Graham was running for and was the sitting gov'nr. Graham ran on a program of accelerating the executions of those on death row, which, when elected, he carried out. We used to refer to them as Col. Bob's Fried Inmates. :D

OwlMBA
08-11-2008, 10:39 PM

Yea, nothing like a stint in Juvi to "rehabilitate" someone.

Rehabilitation is a myth. Once a criminal, always a criminal.

Theophilus
08-11-2008, 10:50 PM

Ever steal a piece of candy when you were a kid?

Shannon
08-11-2008, 11:05 PM

This is a little more severe but I understand your point. It's difficult for me to imagine an 11 year old doing something like this. (my son is that age) I understand that young people sometimes do stupid things though. I don't believe that this child will necessarily continue to be a criminal...but the odds aren't good.

Theophilus
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
This is a little more severe but I understand your point. It's difficult for me to imagine an 11 year old doing something like this. (my son is that age) I understand that young people sometimes do stupid things though. I don't believe that this child will necessarily continue to be a criminal...but the odds aren't good.

I'm not so surprised that he did this. He's a product of his environment. They didn't have....well maybe they did..but my parents didn't let me watch movies like Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs etc and play Grand Theft Auto when I was a kid.

I might have done the same thing at a point in my young life. I wouldn't underestimate young males because having been one, me and my friends could conjure up some pretty crazy things to do on hot summer nights.

OwlMBA
08-12-2008, 12:44 AM

Har har har....

First, no. I didnt actually. I knew my parents would kill me.

Second, stealing a piece of candy is not armed robbery. It takes a whole other level of criminal to go into a store armed. BB gun or not.

Lanie
08-12-2008, 01:26 AM
I mean I guess he/she didnt know it wasnt a real gun, but I think I would laugh at a little kid trying to hold up a store.
Either way, I think the kid should spend a few nights in the slammer so he can see what he did was wrong

Cashiers are told to give the money regardless. One doesn't take chances.

Lanie
08-12-2008, 01:27 AM
Because Lanie thinks us Conservatives are cruel and bloodthirsty. :eek::)

Of course. :D

Just kidding.

It's just I've seen it in the news. The idea is to make an example out of a kid. It's not even about justice, just setting an example.

lacarnut
08-12-2008, 01:30 AM

Several years ago a 12 year old kid snatched a lady purse and ran off on his bicycle. Guy in a truck followed and stopped him; the kid pulled out a gun, shot and killed him. This happened about a mile from my house.

AmPat
08-12-2008, 02:57 AM

All true. It is also sadly, unlikely.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always gotten.

There are too many things that have to change in this young man's life to make a positive change likely. It is regretable that today's society will make most of the necessary changes politically sensitive and therefore off the table for consideration.

noonwitch
08-12-2008, 08:43 AM

There are different kinds of juvies for different age groups and types of offenders-the state-run programs are usually the high-security type for the worst of the worst. There are then a whole lot of private and church-run agencies, like Boys Town or Boysville, that work with younger and/or less dangerous juveniles. Most of these kinds of programs have a higher success rates with kids who complete their programs.

OwlMBA
08-12-2008, 03:21 PM
The only shame here is that nobody in the store had a Carry permit.