PDA

View Full Version : Global warming brings peace and happiness

Gingersnap
07-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Global warming brings peace and happiness

From the Chinese Dept of the Bleeding Obvious

By Andrew Orlowski • Get more from this author
Posted in Environment, 16th July 2010 12:53 GMT

A study correlating economic and political changes in China's Middle Kingdom has found that warmer climate benefited society. By contrast, a fall of temperature of 2C was correlated with conflict and famine.

"The collapses of the agricultural dynasties of the Han (25-220), Tang (618-907), Northern Song (960-1125), Southern Song (1127-1279) and Ming (1368-1644) are closely associated with low temperature or the rapid decline in temperature," say the academics led by the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing.

Historical studies are problematic in two ways, and you have to be careful not to fall into one of two obvious elephant traps. One is that politics very much determines whether a society gets out of a pickle or goes into a decline. So deterministic views such as Jared Diamond's in Guns, Germs and Steel tend to underestimate this capacity for change.

The other (not entirely unrelated) trap is that we're no longer at the mercy of a nature, and thanks to technology have tamed it to a significant degree. We don't have a "peak wood" or a "peak whaleblubber" crisis today. Even the IPCC grudgingly admits as much. "The marginal increase in the number of people at risk from hunger due to climate change must be viewed within the overall large reductions due to socio-economic development."

Well, obviously. Although slight increases in temperature (and CO2) result in higher productivity, wealth remains the dominant factor. It's poverty that makes people miserable, not the climate. And lifting a couple of billion people from messing about in the mud, and into a modern, largely urban, technological society effectively removes them from the risks our great-great-grandparents used to worry about.

The idea that tiny changes in climate (either way) cause catastrophic effects, against which we're powerless, is really the last in a line of medieval superstitions. As Roddy Campbelll writes here, if you'd asked people in 1900 what would happen if temperatures rose by one degree, you'd have got the same prognosis you hear from the "bedwetters" today: "hunger, war, migration, desertification and water shortages in 2010... Pretty grim, wouldn’t you think?" Yet here we are, and life expectancy is higher than ever. The fear of science and technological innovation runs so deep with some people, that self-flagellation is always preferred.

More at the link. ;)

The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/16/climate_peace/)

O'Malley
07-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Too bad the standard solution for climate change is to de-modernize and go back to messing around in the mud!

Gingersnap
07-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Too bad the standard solution for climate change is to de-modernize and go back to messing around in the mud!

I'm actually okay with hipsters and politicians doing this themselves. Also, most of Hollywood. Let's see Pamela Anderson get a new boob job using empty coconut shells and really sharp sticks. :p

O'Malley
07-16-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm actually okay with hipsters and politicians doing this themselves. Also, most of Hollywood. Let's see Pamela Anderson get a new boob job using empty coconut shells and really sharp sticks. :p

She can stay just a has-been skank for my money. Would not want her to swerve into a new reality show themed around mud, coconut shells, and sharp sticks, and re-invent herself.

Gingersnap
07-16-2010, 11:28 AM
She can stay just a has-been skank for my money. Would not want her to swerve into a new reality show themed around mud, coconut shells, and sharp sticks, and re-invent herself.

I can see the YouTube parody already.

PoliCon
07-16-2010, 12:58 PM

I agree - they can do what they want. The problem is that they want to force the rest of us along for the ride because as we all know - or should know - progressives know better than we do how we should live our lives. :rolleyes: