PDA

View Full Version : New house...trips to HD or Lowes

SarasotaRepub
07-17-2010, 10:15 PM
It never fails. Buy a new house (really new or resale) and you seem to end up at either Lowe's or Home Depot every friggen weekend for some reason.

When I 1st moved down to FL over 10 years ago and bought my first house I was in Home Depot every weekend, usually multiple times.

Now that SLW and I have moved back here...it still never changes. We hit Lowe's today looking for a new kitchen faucet since the Moen that came with the house is fucking falling apart in front of our eyes.

I really hate to admit it...but she has been right on a lot of the stuff she has posted here on CU about the move. I never ran into this much crap when I moved here alone from Jersey and bought the 1st house 7 months later. Don't get me wrong, Sarasota is still a greyt place to live but the people/bidness here have changed...

Anyway, we ended up buying a new faucet...

http://www.trendir.com/archives/kohler-forte-pullout-kitchen-faucet.jpg

It never ends.

Cobra
07-17-2010, 10:25 PM
It never fails. Buy a new house (really new or resale) and you seem to end up at either Lowe's or Home Depot every friggen weekend for some reason.

When I 1st moved down to FL over 10 years ago and bought my first house I was in Home Depot every weekend, usually multiple times.

Now that SLW and I have moved back here...it still never changes. We hit Lowe's today looking for a new kitchen faucet since the Moen that came with the house is fucking falling apart in front of our eyes.

I really hate to admit it...but she has been right on a lot of the stuff she has posted here on CU about the move. I never ran into this much crap when I moved here alone from Jersey and bought the 1st house 7 months later. Don't get me wrong, Sarasota is still a greyt place to live but the people/bidness here have changed...

It never ends.

That's MY faucet! We got the sope dispenser as well.

Some day, I'll use it.

SaintLouieWoman
07-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I can't believe SR admitted that possibly I can be right on a few things. :D

It's so frustrating, as the folks who sold us the house and/or the listing agent lied on about everything. Their seller's disclosure statement has more lies than swiss cheese has holes. But I hesitate, probably foolishly, to go after them too much. The woman had pancreatic cancer, went into remission, but now is again ill. I don't want to cause them more grief, but it still ticks me off.

It's just one thing after the other. The handyman who came highly recommended by one of the HOA commandos told me that there are problems with the main electrical box. Now I have to get an electrician here next week. He said it could be a fire hazard. The home inspector made no mention of it.

Then there's the plumbing. The guy is coming over Tuesday to fix the shower control levers. One is so loose and absolutely no grout. Water could be going into the wall. The other one has problems and I can never get it to stop dripping. Then there's the kitchen faucet, a Moen, that is literally falling apart. The drain thingy in the sink in the master bathroom wouldn't close. He's already fixed that.

There were so many other things that weren't mentioned at all in the inspection. The guy who's doing the repairs said that we should go after the home inspector for not mentioning any of these problems.

Also the garage door doesn't have the safety feature, also not noted, so the door could close on a kid or us or the car and not stop. Again, no mention.

Not sure what to do. Just wanted to unpack, go about our business and not have all the hassle. If it had been a short sale or a foreclosure, I would have expected this. But they got us at the top end, took advantage of our only having a couple days to buy a house.

I'll never again trust the sharks down here. (But there are some exceptions, like the fence company and the 2nd AC company that we got after I threw out the crook).

SaintLouieWoman
07-17-2010, 10:31 PM
That's MY faucet! We got the sope dispenser as well.

Some day, I'll use it.

Our other house had a soap dispenser. Once I got used to it, I really used it and miss it here. There's no hole drilled in the granite and don't want to trust someone to cut into that thing and crack it.

Is yours a Kohler? Hope it's holding up.

lacarnut
07-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Damn, with all those problems I don't think I ever want to move into another house. My well built 50 year old house has had some major remodeling done to it but it was done for updates rather than for repairs. I need to get a new front door.

Nubs
07-17-2010, 11:12 PM
If the house inspector messed up, depending on what the electrician comes up with, you can go after him for the cost to repair the items he missed.

SaintLouieWoman
07-18-2010, 07:31 PM
If the house inspector messed up, depending on what the electrician comes up with, you can go after him for the cost to repair the items he missed.

Do you know the procedures to do this? I'm hoping that I can do it without an attorney, as that would probably cost (I hope) more than the repairs.

lacarnut
07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Do you know the procedures to do this? I'm hoping that I can do it without an attorney, as that would probably cost (I hope) more than the repairs.

Take him to small claims court. You do not need a lawyer and it is a very simple process. I have done it twice and won both times. Call the city and ask the procedure. In Louisiana, you file with the court, pay a small fee and notify the person of your intentions. If they want to settle out of court, fine. If not, you bring evidence which would include his report and the repair charges. The Judge gives both sides the opportunity to speak and present evidence. Takes about 10 min. once you get in front of the Judge.

SaintLouieWoman
07-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Take him to small claims court. You do not need a lawyer and it is a very simple process. I have done it twice and won both times. Call the city and ask the procedure. In Louisiana, you file with the court, pay a small fee and notify the person of your intentions. If they want to settle out of court, fine. If not, you bring evidence which would include his report and the repair charges. The Judge gives both sides the opportunity to speak and present evidence. Takes about 10 min. once you get in front of the Judge.

Thanks a lot. I'll bet the Small Claims Court has a busy schedule, with as many scammers and incompetent inspectors and workmen. It's weird here; I guess with all the snowbirds and the seniors, anyone can get a business card printed and be a "professional". I've been warned now by a couple reliable companies to be hyper careful, as the scammers really come out, particularly in hurricane season.

lacarnut
07-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll bet the Small Claims Court has a busy schedule, with as many scammers and incompetent inspectors and workmen. It's weird here; I guess with all the snowbirds and the seniors, anyone can get a business card printed and be a "professional". I've been warned now by a couple reliable companies to be hyper careful, as the scammers really come out, particularly in hurricane season.

If the electrical work is going to be expensive, it would be a good idea to not only get a bill from the electrician but a statement from him on how long the problem has existed. The more evidence you have, the better. Heck, take pictures of the bad wiring. I did that when the carpet dummies beat my baseboards up using crowbars.

SaintLouieWoman
07-19-2010, 11:33 AM
If the electrical work is going to be expensive, it would be a good idea to not only get a bill from the electrician but a statement from him on how long the problem has existed. The more evidence you have, the better. Heck, take pictures of the bad wiring. I did that when the carpet dummies beat my baseboards up using crowbars.

Thanks, good idea. I think will also take a picture of the one shower where the round cover thing for the shower control handle moves and there's a hole in the tile. That should have been noticed by the inspector.

marv
07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
When I was a kid, about 12 or 13, I helped my Dad dig, pour, and lay for a stone foundation for a room addition. I helped with carpentry, new wiring and such. Next to working in the insurance industry for a while, it was the best education I've ever had.

If you own a house, you gotta learn to care for it - or break out the checkbook for somebody else's labor costs.

SaintLouieWoman
07-19-2010, 05:02 PM
When I was a kid, about 12 or 13, I helped my Dad dig, pour, and lay for a stone foundation for a room addition. I helped with carpentry, new wiring and such. Next to working in the insurance industry for a while, it was the best education I've ever had.

If you own a house, you gotta learn to care for it - or break out the checkbook for somebody else's labor costs.

We are taking care of it. The problem is the other folks didn't. We bought the place too quickly. I guess that I'm ticked off that before I sold my house in St Louis, I had someone go over the entire place and fix every little thing. The real estate people and the inspectors said it was practically perfect.

Even when I had very little time to complete the packing, I repaired any larger holes from heavy pictures hanging on the walls and then dd the touch up painting.

Besides all the absolute misrepresentations on their disclosure statements. they left holes all over the place. It will be a major job just patching. I've already bought touch up paint for the rooms where I'll maintain their colors.

jendf
07-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Sorry to hear about all your house troubles, SR/SLW.

I bought a short sale home last year so I knew going in there were some issues with it. I'm not an expert handywoman or anything but some of the fix-it jobs the previous owners attempted have made even me laugh out loud.

Thankfully, my dear ol' Dad and a neighborhood Home Depot are close by. :D

All of the necessary fixes have been completed. Now I'm starting on fun stuff like painting and remodeling a bit.

My next big project is to redo my master bedroom closet. Currently, the clothing rack is a piece of construction rebar pipe. Seriously. The previous owners were weirdos.

Hawkgirl
07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I go to both...but lately, I prefer Lowe's.

I may be moving too in a month or so, if the short sale goes through. A couple is going through a divorce, so it may be my chance to get into a beautiful community at a great price.

SaintLouieWoman
07-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I go to both...but lately, I prefer Lowe's.

I may be moving too in a month or so, if the short sale goes through. A couple is going through a divorce, so it may be my chance to get into a beautiful community at a great price.

Wish we had the time to try the short sale route. I guess I'm just grumpy that we managed to pay top dollar for a place that wasn't in as good of shape as we thought.

Good luck on getting the place.

I still have "funny money" from sales awards that I can use at Lowe's. I used to get "points" with 1 point equalling $1 that are loaded on a Mastercard that can only be used in certain places, like Macy's, Dillard's, Restoration Hardware, Lowe's, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn. I've blown a lot of funny money over the years at Lowe's and Crate and Barrel. At my previous house got 3 rooms with Pergo brand top of the line Pergo, along with the installation, the rest of the house carpeted---all at Lowe's---plus a washer and dryer, refrigerator, separate freezer, dishwasher. Sales might be tough at times, but the perks are greyt.

So far here I've used it for the king mattress and box springs at Macy's, misc stuff at Lowe's, lots of household stuff at Bed Bath and Beyond and a cool little contemporary desk that I ordered online at Crate & Barrel. We'll have to make a trip to the Tampa area to visit the store there, as there are no Crate & Barrel's in Sarasota.

I'm going to really miss earning those points, but the job was in STL and I'm here.

RobJohnson
07-21-2010, 01:56 AM

It never ends.

I've had the same one for almost a year now with no problems. Good choice!

SaintLouieWoman
07-21-2010, 06:12 PM
I've had the same one for almost a year now with no problems. Good choice!
Had it installed yesterday. Good thing that we removed the old one and didn't bother to try fixing it. The plumbing was leaking below the sink. We got it fixed just in time, before too much mildew formed.

Ya gotta love those incompetent home inspectors, just another think he overlooked. :mad::rolleyes:

RobJohnson
07-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Had it installed yesterday. Good thing that we removed the old one and didn't bother to try fixing it. The plumbing was leaking below the sink. We got it fixed just in time, before too much mildew formed.

Ya gotta love those incompetent home inspectors, just another think he overlooked. :mad::rolleyes:

You would think a home inspector would spot more of the little things. Maybe they are just looking for big major stuff?

I've looked at a few houses since May and it's amazing what I see that others miss. It also amazes me that little things that are no big deal are often called "structual damage" when it's simply normal settling that is not going to hurt anything. I use the property owner's (and agents) fears to my advantage.

Thursday morning I signed yet another offer on a property. This one was for $100 over the listing price. It's a huge house with an in law apartment. It sits on over an acre in a very nice neighborhood that is free of HOAs and is right outside of the city limits resulting in lower property taxes. I should know Friday.

I was tired of the lazy agent that I was dealing with and found one that seems to be doing a better job. She is far from perfect but a lot better then then last agent.

SaintLouieWoman
07-23-2010, 10:51 AM
You would think a home inspector would spot more of the little things. Maybe they are just looking for big major stuff?

I've looked at a few houses since May and it's amazing what I see that others miss. It also amazes me that little things that are no big deal are often called "structual damage" when it's simply normal settling that is not going to hurt anything. I use the property owner's (and agents) fears to my advantage.

Thursday morning I signed yet another offer on a property. This one was for $100 over the listing price. It's a huge house with an in law apartment. It sits on over an acre in a very nice neighborhood that is free of HOAs and is right outside of the city limits resulting in lower property taxes. I should know Friday.

I was tired of the lazy agent that I was dealing with and found one that seems to be doing a better job. She is far from perfect but a lot better then then last agent.

Good luck, hope you get it. Be careful if the neighborhood is free of HOAs. There's a small subdivision sandwiched in between our subdivision and another one that also has a HOA. The area without the HOA looks terrible. There are strangely painted homes, try bright orange two toned, lime green, general junk all over. We got a card in the mail from a realtor trying to sell a home in that little subdivision. The place which is well kept and a nice looking house is selling for about $75-100k less than a comparable one in our subdivision. Those HOA commandos sometimes are valuable.

Also be careful of the inspectors. I hope your area has a separate inspection system from those provided by the realtors. The previous owners here wouldn't have gotten away with the stuff in STL County than they did here.

The insurance broker said one of his friends no longer will work as an inspector, as the local realtors were putting enormous pressures on them to not report problems with the houses. I have no respect at all, none, for the local agents here. They're more than a part of the problems here.

RobJohnson
07-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Good luck, hope you get it. Be careful if the neighborhood is free of HOAs. There's a small subdivision sandwiched in between our subdivision and another one that also has a HOA. The area without the HOA looks terrible. There are strangely painted homes, try bright orange two toned, lime green, general junk all over. We got a card in the mail from a realtor trying to sell a home in that little subdivision. The place which is well kept and a nice looking house is selling for about $75-100k less than a comparable one in our subdivision. Those HOA commandos sometimes are valuable.

Also be careful of the inspectors. I hope your area has a separate inspection system from those provided by the realtors. The previous owners here wouldn't have gotten away with the stuff in STL County than they did here.

The insurance broker said one of his friends no longer will work as an inspector, as the local realtors were putting enormous pressures on them to not report problems with the houses. I have no respect at all, none, for the local agents here. They're more than a part of the problems here.

One home inspector in this area is the husband of a popular real estate agent. Can you say conflict??? :D

I ended up getting a very good deal on a very large house that has an in law apartment. Both the apartment & house have new kitchens. It sits on a one acre lot in a very nice part of town. No traffic and no barking dogs. It seemed like everything I looked at had loud barking dogs on all sides...

I will move my mom into apartment. There is no way I could live with my mom and it will be bad enough with a wall between us, LOL. This also has plenty of room for out of town guests during the winter months, I don't have that now. It even has room to park a couple of RV's for our snow bird friends in Reno.

We will close quickly. This was such a good deal I decided to just pay cash for now & will finance later to get the cash back in the bank.

I found the place online, I have spent hours and hours looking...the day after we looked at it, the bank dropped 10k off the asking price so I knew we needed to move fast.

I took a contractor with to look at it, he simply seen a couple minor issues that I had already noticed and had some great ideas.

lacarnut
07-23-2010, 04:25 PM
I ended up getting a very good deal on a very large house that has an in law apartment. Both the apartment & house have new kitchens.
I will move my mom into apartment. .

Sounds like you got a good deal on the house, and your mom will be thrilled to be staying with you. The good Lord will bless you for that. I could never stand the thought of putting my parents in a nursing home. Those are some terrible places.

Hawkgirl
07-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Wish we had the time to try the short sale route. I guess I'm just grumpy that we managed to pay top dollar for a place that wasn't in as good of shape as we thought.

Good luck on getting the place.

Thanks, 4 weeks have passed and no news yet. The bank did 1 drive by BPO so far.

The thought of moving is overwhelming though...so if I don't get it...at least I won't have to move. I absolutely HATE moving.

Rob, congrats on the house...did you move in yet?

Hawkgirl
07-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal on the house, and your mom will be thrilled to be staying with you. The good Lord will bless you for that. I could never stand the thought of putting my parents in a nursing home. Those are some terrible places.

I agree...I wouldn't do that to my parents either. If medically necessary, I'd pay a nurse or nurse assistant to watch them if I'm at work.

SarasotaRepub
07-23-2010, 09:17 PM
One home inspector in this area is the husband of a popular real estate agent. Can you say conflict??? :D

I ended up getting a very good deal on a very large house that has an in law apartment. Both the apartment & house have new kitchens. It sits on a one acre lot in a very nice part of town. No traffic and no barking dogs. It seemed like everything I looked at had loud barking dogs on all sides...

I will move my mom into apartment. There is no way I could live with my mom and it will be bad enough with a wall between us, LOL. This also has plenty of room for out of town guests during the winter months, I don't have that now. It even has room to park a couple of RV's for our snow bird friends in Reno.

We will close quickly. This was such a good deal I decided to just pay cash for now & will finance later to get the cash back in the bank.

I found the place online, I have spent hours and hours looking...the day after we looked at it, the bank dropped 10k off the asking price so I knew we needed to move fast.

I took a contractor with to look at it, he simply seen a couple minor issues that I had already noticed and had some great ideas.

Good job Rob, Congrats! :)

SaintLouieWoman
07-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks, 4 weeks have passed and no news yet. The bank did 1 drive by BPO so far.

The thought of moving is overwhelming though...so if I don't get it...at least I won't have to move. I absolutely HATE moving.

Hope you get it. The 4 weeks plus wait wouldn't have worked for us. With my having to be out of the house about 2 1/2 weeks after the house was sold, it didn't leave us much time to find something here. I think many of the better priced homes had been snapped up before that April 30th buying deadline for the government goodies. It worked in our favor selling the house in St Louis (sold in 4 days), but not down here. I wasn't a first time buyer, so no gov't money there. And I had the other home for 4 1/2 years when the requirement for the "moving up" home was 5 years. Drat.

And Rob, congrats on the house. Glad you got a greyt deal.

lacarnut
07-24-2010, 12:07 AM
I agree...I wouldn't do that to my parents either. If medically necessary, I'd pay a nurse or nurse assistant to watch them if I'm at work.

We had sitters for many, many years.

Hope you get the house.

I have got the moving fever also. Just waiting for my Aunt's inheritance and some other investments to shake out before the end of the year.

RobJohnson
07-24-2010, 07:53 PM

I'll find out next week when I close.

I also hate moving, but since I thinned out so much stuff when I moved to Nevada the hardest part is going to buy enough furnature for a 2622 sq foot home...

RobJohnson
07-24-2010, 07:56 PM

Thanks.

My mom asked me if she could live in the main part of the house so she could have company all winter. I told her that was fine but she better not be late with the rent check. :D

Right now I just live two blocks from work, the new house is 6 miles. That will be a change.