PDA

View Full Version : BMI...we're back in the middle ages...

marv
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
...of medicine!

The metric is height vs. weight. Maybe it's just another device to implement health care rationing. So how do you rate yourself?

I'm 6'1", 180# give or take, and I have no idea what my BMI might be. But my age - 71 - probably rations me already. I smoke and I drink, and I love the fat with my steaks and ribs!

CueSi
07-19-2010, 02:01 PM
My BMI is 25.6. According to the chart, that's overweight. Very few people would agree with this in person. The "recommended" weight for my age and height is 141. . .I am 147. I already have erratic periods at my current weight, which is not good. So to lose anymore would wreck my reproductive health even further. Plus, I'm 90% sure all branches of the military would take me at my current weight, so . . .screw the BMI/recommended weight at this point.

But many top-flight NFL athletes are overweight, according to the BMI. . .and it does NOT allow for things like age and forgetting that muscle ways ALOT more than fat.

To the OP, your BMI is 24.4 . . .RIGHT on the borderline. ----------->BMI Calculator (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/)

~QC

djones520
07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm 6'2" and 190lbs. Right about 24.6 or so. I'm "borderline overweight" as well. I tell whoever picks that number to go fuck themselves. I'd imagive 27 or 28% would probably be closer to overweight.

marv
07-19-2010, 04:56 PM
...and what these witch doctors didn't to tell you was...

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/risk.htm#limitations

Although BMI can be used for most men and women, it does have some limits:

* It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
* It may underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost muscle.

Anybody else catch the 9 year old gymnast on F&F this morning? She was told by her school that she was OBESE!

Thanx for the link CueSi.

Speedy
07-19-2010, 06:27 PM
I am 5'10" and 175 lbs. With a somewhat athletic build. At 25.1 my measurement has me at the low end of overweight.

warpig
07-19-2010, 07:05 PM
If you are 6'4" you can't weigh more than 200 lbs or you are considered overweight. BS

DU+NU_Reject
07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
...of medicine!

The metric is height vs. weight. Maybe it's just another device to implement health care rationing. So how do you rate yourself?

I'm 6'1", 180# give or take, and I have no idea what my BMI might be. But my age - 71 - probably rations me already. I smoke and I drink, and I love the fat with my steaks and ribs!

It's interesting that you've lived to be 71 :p

Save for the smoking and drinking (and insulin-dependent diabetes), I'm the same way.

DU+NU_Reject
07-19-2010, 09:41 PM
If you are 6'4" you can't weigh more than 200 lbs or you are considered overweight. BS

Truckload of bull...

patriot45
07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I took the bs... I mean BMI test! I'm 5'9 and 215, Yes Rock, I got down to 215!
BUT, I'm big boned! :D

Speedy
07-19-2010, 09:56 PM

REALLY big boned.

Gingersnap
07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
The BMI is a pretty lame screening test. There is no way to distinguish fat from muscle and age is not a factor after the mid-teen years. Clearly, a 70 year old and a 20 year old don't have the same muscle/fat ratio.

A better "test" would be waist size with an age factor. While a 70 year old might have a 34 inch waist (if female), this wouldn't necessarily mean she was fat given her stick-like limbs. A 34 inch waist on a 20 year old female would spell fatness unless she was 6 feet tall or more.

Maybe we should just go back to the old Met Life tables.

Rockntractor
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM

That's 3.1 pounds per inch, maybe we could stretch you out.:cool:

Rockntractor
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
The BMI is a pretty lame screening test. There is no way to distinguish fat from muscle and age is not a factor after the mid-teen years. Clearly, a 70 year old and a 20 year old don't have the same muscle/fat ratio.

A better "test" would be waist size with an age factor. While a 70 year old might have a 34 inch waist (if female), this wouldn't necessarily mean she was fat given her stick-like limbs. A 34 inch waist on a 20 year old female would spell fatness unless she was 6 feet tall or more.

Maybe we should just go back to the old Met Life tables.

Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die.

Odysseus
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Body Mass Indexes don't distinguish between muscle and fat, and muscle weighs more, so a buff person who may weigh more than a person of the same height with a higher body fat percentage comes off with a higher BMI. They're also based on antiquated data, from the fifties, when weightlifting and body building were very rare.

When I was in my late twenties/early thirties, I was a serious gym rat and weighed in at 185, bench-pressed 225 (three sets of ten, followed by incline and decline bench), ran two miles in under fifteen minutes, and had a BMI of 25, and a body fat percentage of 15%, which meant that I was pretty cut up, but no matter, the BMI ruled me as a puffball. At 5'11", I'd have to weigh 170 to be within my BMI. The last time I weighed that was when I graduated from OCS, and I was scrawny.

Jfor
07-19-2010, 10:11 PM
33 years old. 6'1" and 238 lbs. BMI of 31.8 yet I have bodyfat % of 15-18%. Yet the .gov is gonna classify me as obese.

marv
07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die.
Exactly, and I've been doing it my way for a long, long time. Enjoyed every minute!

Tecate
07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Isn't it going to be great having a bunch of government bureaucrats running every aspect of your life? All in the name of saving you from yourself, of course.

Gingersnap
07-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Isn't it going to be great having a bunch of government bureaucrats running every aspect of your life? All in the name of saving you from yourself, of course.

The bonus part is that they will dictate your private habits even when you are too old to qualify for "treatment". Yay!

Tecate
07-19-2010, 11:48 PM
The bonus part is that they will dictate your private habits even when you are too old to qualify for "treatment". Yay!
In the coming years, we are all about to be fitted with our very own personalized electronic straight jacket. You won't be allowed to make a single move without the government's hot breath on the back of your neck. It will be a nightmare that most people probably can't even comprehend.

Rockntractor
07-19-2010, 11:51 PM
In the coming years, we are all about to be fitted with our very own personalized electronic straight jacket. You won't be allowed to make a single move without the government's hot breath on the back of your neck. It will be a nightmare that most people probably can't even comprehend.
This can still be prevented this November, tell your friends.

Tecate
07-20-2010, 12:15 AM
This can still be prevented this November, tell your friends.
Outside of the cyber world I don't know anyone in real life who actually wanted this, but I hear you.

CueSi
07-20-2010, 03:56 AM
And this is how the BMI can be abused, folks . . . VIA Red Eye:

Mass. Parents Angry Over Kids Sent Home With 'Fat Reports'

Published July 17, 2010
NewsCore

EXCERPT:

Massachusetts parents are angry and dismayed over a public school policy that sees students getting sent home with “fat letters,” myFOXboston.com reported late Friday.

Many schools across the state began sending Body Mass Index (BMI) reports and letters home with students in order to flag possible obesity issues to parents.

"To have a piece of paper like this come home in their backpack with them is very, very concerning to me," said mother Lori-Ann Sumner, whose nine-year-old daughter Shelby -- an active gymnast and athlete -- was characterized as “borderline overweight.”

"Her BMI was 19.43, which brought her to 84.38 percent, and 85th percentile is considered overweight,” said social worker Sumner, who is worried that children and parents will take the information in the wrong way.

Linky and stuff... (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/17/mass-parents-angry-kids-sent-home-fat-reports/)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~QC

noonwitch
07-20-2010, 08:39 AM

At least the government will know ahead of time what size of electronic straight jacket you will need!

Gingersnap
07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
At least the government will know ahead of time what size of electronic straight jacket you will need!

LOL! Now that's funny!

On a more serious note, I expect we will see rates of bulimia and anorexia just skyrocket. :(

marv
07-20-2010, 10:09 AM
It's interesting that you've lived to be 71 :p

Save for the smoking and drinking (and insulin-dependent diabetes), I'm the same way.
Grandpa smoked and drank all his life, and died of old age at 90 in 1936...

http://users.mo-net.com/mcruzan/07.jpg

Dad smoked and drank all his life, and died of old age at 91 in 1986...

http://users.mo-net.com/mcruzan/01.jpg

...it's a family tradition!

Odysseus
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
LOL! Now that's funny!

On a more serious note, I expect we will see rates of bulimia and anorexia just skyrocket. :(

In which case, we will have a new crisis, requiring social workers, medical intervention and even more government spending! And, more scrawny, photogenic waifs for the fashion industry to promote (and for Roman Polanski to hit on). It's a win-win for the left.

CueSi
07-21-2010, 11:34 AM

It seems, so are wierd suits. :p

~QC

marv
07-21-2010, 12:22 PM
It seems, so are wierd suits. :p

~QC

Grandpa's pic was taken in 1919 when Dad (in uniform) returned from occupation duty in Germany. Dad's suit was okay in the seventies when everything was wierd!

BTW, I'm wearing one of my serial numbered imported Harris tweed sport coats. Nothin' weird or cheap about that! :p

Zafod
07-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Mine is 34.7

I am 6'1" and 263 lbs.

course I also train for powerlifting and scottish athletics so my lean body mass is way above everage.

CueSi
07-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Grandpa's pic was taken in 1919 when Dad (in uniform) returned from occupation duty in Germany. Dad's suit was okay in the seventies when everything was wierd!

BTW, I'm wearing one of my serial numbered imported Harris tweed sport coats. Nothin' weird or cheap about that! :p

If you're trying to tell me, you're weird, and you have money, the proper word is "eccentric". . . my bosses are (self-MADE) millionaires, and they are eccentric. :p

~QC

DU+NU_Reject
07-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Yeah, I guess it's a question of "how much".

Both of my maternal grandmother's sisters - dead in their 60s and 70s, (both from cancer, IIRC)

Dad's grandfather -dead at 57 (also from cancer, but I'm of the impression he was left a wreck of a man by his wife -whom not to much of my family is fond of- and because they were both a part of a denomination that had forbidden divorce, he had no way out of that marriage.)

Great grandfather on mother's side -died a year before I was born, (damn shame too -I'm told he was one of the most out-going guys in my family) He had blacklung, though, and I think that's what killed him.

So yeah, I suppose so.

There's also David, smokes and is still upbeat to this day (I think in his late 70s, currently.)

DU+NU_Reject
07-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Additionally, it isn't that never drink, either... sometimes if I'm visiting my folks and they (usually dad) have some 100-150 proof Wild Turkey lying about, I can take a few sips of that and then I have a nice guffaw.

I actually do a lot of things stupid for a diabetic, besides that even. :cool:

Odysseus
07-23-2010, 10:52 AM
If you're trying to tell me, you're weird, and you have money, the proper word is "eccentric". . . my bosses are (self-MADE) millionaires, and they are eccentric. :p

~QC

Wealthy sex-shop owners aren't eccentric, they're kinky. :D