PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Says E-Book Sales Outpace Hardcovers

Gingersnap
07-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Amazon Says E-Book Sales Outpace Hardcovers

By GEOFFREY A. FOWLER And JEFFREY A. TRACHTENBERG
Amazon.com Inc. said it reached a milestone, selling more e-books than hardbacks over the past three months.

But publishers said it is still too early to gauge for the entire industry whether the growth of e-books is cannibalizing sales of paperback books, a huge and crucial market.

Rex Crum talks to Dan Gallagher about Amazon.com's upbeat news for the e-reader market. The company is expected to report a double-digit gain in sales when it reports quarterly earnings after the bell Thursday.

In a statement Monday, Amazon's chief executive, Jeff Bezos, also countered the perception that sales of the company's Kindle e-reading device had suffered due to competition from other devices, such as Apple Inc.'s iPad.

He said the growth rate of Kindle device sales had "reached a tipping point," having tripled since the company lowered its price to $189 from $259 last month, following a similar move by competitor Barnes & Noble Inc. to cut the price on its Nook e-reader.

Amazon said Kindle device sales accelerated each month in the second quarter—both on a sequential month-over-month basis and on a year-over-year basis. But the statistics that Amazon shared were all relative—it didn't share actual sales figures. The company has never said how many Kindle devices or e-books it has sold.

Barnes & Noble, the nation's largest bookstore chain retailer, also has "seen a big uptick" since it cut the price of its Nook e-reader, a spokeswoman said.

Sony Corp., too, said that its sales of e-books were growing steadily, while second-quarter sales of its e-reading devices were about triple the level a year earlier.

Amazon painted a picture of accelerating growth in sales of e-books, which can be read on the Kindle and through software on a host of other devices, including Apple's iPad and iPhone. The figures don't include free e-books.

Over the past month, the Seattle retailer sold 180 Kindle books for every 100 hardcover books it sold, it said.

Interesting.

WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703720504575377472723652734.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLETopStories)

fettpett
07-22-2010, 06:03 PM
no surprise. while having a tangible book is always nice, think of how much easier it is to have one item to take on a plane while on buisness and read several books instead of taking or buying a bunch of books while traveling. Thats the reason my aunt got one.

plus it's cheaper than a paperback. they need to count the sales of e-books either on their own (best seller lists) or with paperbacks, or just combine hardcover/paperback/ebooks all as one lists

djones520
07-22-2010, 06:10 PM
no surprise. while having a tangible book is always nice, think of how much easier it is to have one item to take on a plane while on buisness and read several books instead of taking or buying a bunch of books while traveling. Thats the reason my aunt got one.

plus it's cheaper than a paperback. they need to count the sales of e-books either on their own (best seller lists) or with paperbacks, or just combine hardcover/paperback/ebooks all as one lists

I can't stand them. I've tried reading one, but can never get more then a couple dozen pages into it. I need to have a book in my hands if I'm reading a book.

malloc
07-22-2010, 06:13 PM
I can't stand them. I've tried reading one, but can never get more then a couple dozen pages into it. I need to have a book in my hands if I'm reading a book.

Some people are like this, and I used to be this way, but I'm a convert now. Mostly because of technical documentation. As a system's architect I have to read a lot of documentation, and documentation in hardcopy is always outdated or just plain wrong these days. The latest API's, manuals and tutorials are on the net. Slowly but surely I learned to accept that the laptop is now a platform for reading, and not my comfy chair in the corner with the lamp.

NJCardFan
07-23-2010, 12:35 AM

The downloads, yes but Kindles sell for near $400. Not so cheap.

fettpett
07-23-2010, 07:01 AM
The downloads, yes but Kindles sell for near $400. Not so cheap.

Kindles are by far not the only e-reader on the market, most of the programs you can download and read them on your computer anyway.