PDA

View Full Version : Cold temperatures cause death, damage in South America

Gingersnap
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Cold temperatures cause death, damage in South America

By the CNN Wire Staff
July 20, 2010 1:59 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- An intense cold front in southern Latin America continues to blanket the region, causing deaths, school and highway closures, and other woes.

A total of 18 people have died in Bolivia as a direct or indirect consequence of low temperatures, the Peruvian state-run Andina news agency reported. The deaths were spread out throughout the country.

On Monday, Bolivian officials said temperatures in the major city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra would reach 3 C (37 F), the lowest in 29 years, and in other regions the mercury dropped below freezing, Andina reported.

As a precaution, Bolivian authorities canceled school from Monday to Wednesday, the official Bolivian news agency ABI reported.

Police in Paraguay reported eight deaths from hypothermia and two from carbon monoxide poisoning from the use of heating devices. The government opened shelters for the poor, who are picked up at night by military trucks.

Paraguayan authorities also estimated that 1,000 cattle died because of the cold.

In Uruguay, local media reported two weather-related fatalities.

The cold front hit the region on Saturday and was responsible for eight deaths in Argentina over the weekend.

An area of low pressure in the southern hemisphere jet stream pushed deeper north allowing for cold Antarctic air to pool over Chile and Argentina. Below-normal temperatures are expected over the next 48 hours across the region.

Argentina reported Monday that nine of its provinces were feeling temperatures below freezing.

The intense cold will remain in the area at least through Tuesday, Argentina's official news agency, Telam, reported.

Similarly, in Peru, the country's southern Amazon region was experiencing the coldest weather in three years, Andina reported, citing the National Meteorological and Hydrological Service.

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/07/19/latin.america.weather/index.html?hpt=T2)

lacarnut
07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
That damn global warming must be responsible for it.

FlaGator
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
The dead people are obviously taken their AGW denials a bit too far.

DU+NU_Reject
07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/07/19/latin.america.weather/index.html?hpt=T2)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/iamjooish/th_icon_eek.gif

DU+NU_Reject
07-20-2010, 07:09 PM
The dead people are obviously taken their AGW denials a bit too far.

Granted, it's been one of coldest years on record in the north, to be sure. I was personally curious how it would effect the Southern Hemisphere... I guess I got my answer:the entire planet's a little cooler this year.

Rockntractor
07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Does anybody seriously think this will stop cap and trade?

DU+NU_Reject
07-21-2010, 07:45 AM
Does anybody seriously think this will stop cap and trade?

SO YOU AND I WISH! :mad:

The Night Owl
07-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Granted, it's been one of coldest years on record in the north, to be sure. I was personally curious how it would effect the Southern Hemisphere... I guess I got my answer:the entire planet's a little cooler this year.

You guessed wrongly...

Jan.-June warmest first half of year on record
2010 tops 1998 temps; question now is whether 12 months will break 2005 record for warmest year

msnbc.com
updated 7/15/2010 5:53:10 PM ET
Share Print Font: +-Global land and ocean surface temperatures in the first half of 2010 were the warmest January-June on record, the federal climate service reported Thursday.

January-June temperatures averaged 57.5 degrees Fahrenheit — 1.22 degrees F above the 20th Century average, according to the National Climatic Data Center. Its records go back to 1880.

That broke the previous record of 1.19 degrees F above average set in 1998.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38263788

Articulate_Ape
07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
You guessed wrongly...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38263788

Ah, veritable paragons of trustworthiness at this point.

The Night Owl
07-26-2010, 12:16 PM
That damn global warming must be responsible for it.

If a bout of unusually cold weather in one region causes you to believe that global warming is not happening then why doesn't a bout of unusually warm weather in one region cause you to reverse your position?

The Night Owl
07-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Ah, veritable paragons of trustworthiness at this point.

NOAA: June, April to June, and Year-to-Date Global Temperatures are Warmest on Record
July 15, 2010

Last month’s combined global land and ocean surface temperature made it the warmest June on record and the warmest on record averaged for any April-June and January-June periods, according to NOAA. Worldwide average land surface temperature was the warmest on record for June and the April-June period, and the second warmest on record for the year-to-date (January-June) period, behind 2007.

The monthly analysis from NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center, which is based on records going back to 1880, is part of the suite of climate services NOAA provides government, business and community leaders so they can make informed decisions.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20100715_globalstats.html

Articulate_Ape
07-26-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20100715_globalstats.html

Ah, veritable paragons of trustworthiness at this point. I hear Bernie Madoff has started a new mutual fund. You should get in on it before it's too late.

The Night Owl
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Ah, veritable paragons of trustworthiness at this point. I hear Bernie Madoff has started a new mutual fund. You should get in on it before it's too late.

Ah, right. I had almost forgotten just how big the conspiracy really is.

:rolleyes:

So, who would you accept as a reliable source for global temperature data? DU+NU_Reject?

Articulate_Ape
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Ah, right. I had almost forgotten just how big the conspiracy really is.

:rolleyes:

So, who would you accept as a reliable source for global temperature data? DU+NU_Reject?

At this point? Empirical evidence. Climate science has marginalized itself by allowing itself to be politicized. I wouldn't trust them with my lunch.

The Night Owl
07-26-2010, 12:38 PM
At this point? Empirical evidence. Climate science has marginalized itself by allowing itself to be politicized. I wouldn't trust them with my lunch.

Temperature data is available to the public. Feel free to plot your own graphs and present them.

Articulate_Ape
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Temperature data is available to the public. Feel free to plot your own graphs and present them.

Data obtained/recorded by whom? Someone who will lose their job or funding if the findings aren't those desired by the folks with the checkbook? Sorry, TNO, but these "scientists" have forfeited their credibility except to their fellow parishioners and the preachers awaiting the filled offering plates.

The Night Owl
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Data obtained/recorded by whom?

Evil scientists with a dark purpose!

Articulate_Ape
07-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Evil scientists with a dark purpose!

Not dark, just human. It is called self-preservation. They are the ones who accepted the unholy union with the political class and now they are trapped in its insidious grip. They have become unwitting accomplices in a political agenda and now their professional and financial futures hang in the balance. I suspect that if the public's declining belief in the AGW canard continues, you will find climatologists, et al, defecting in droves as the politicians lose their grip on them. When this whole thing is an amusing and embarrassing footnote in history, I hope that science will have learned a valuable lesson in dangers of dancing with the devil.

The Night Owl
07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Not dark, just human. It is called self-preservation. They are the ones who accepted the unholy union with the political class and now they are trapped in its insidious grip. They have become unwitting accomplices in a political agenda and now their professional and financial futures hang in the balance. I suspect that if the public's declining belief in the AGW canard continues, you will find climatologists, et al, defecting in droves as the politicians lose their grip on them. When this whole thing is an amusing and embarrassing footnote in history, I hope that science will have learned a valuable lesson in dangers of dancing with the devil.

Drivel. Scientists who study climate are more than intelligent enough to get high paying consulting jobs or engineering jobs in the private sector. There is no reason in the world for them to engage in the type of fraud you believe they're engaging in. To put it in other words, where the fuck is Michael Mann's yacht?

Articulate_Ape
07-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Drivel. Scientists who study climate are more than intelligent enough to get high paying consulting jobs or engineering jobs in the private sector. There is no reason in the world for them to engage in the type of fraud you believe they're engaging in. To put it in other words, where the fuck is Michael Mann's yacht?

John Kerry's got it.

The Night Owl
07-26-2010, 01:53 PM
John Kerry's got it.

LOL! Good one.