PDA

View Full Version : An Inventive Thursday Thread

FlaGator
07-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Something a little different for the weather today. Hot with no afternoon thunder storms.

TOTD: What invention or discovery would you most like to see in your life time? I would like to live to see teleportation. It would be great to just be beamed to work or a restaurant or the mall or anywhere you needed to go. Watching Star Trek I was always more impressed with the transporter than with the warp drive. The food replicators were pretty high on my list of cool inventions but nothing beat the transporter.

namvet
07-22-2010, 10:29 AM
100 today. heat warning issued

TOTD:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2qatjfd.jpg

Gingersnap
07-22-2010, 10:42 AM
We'll hit the high 80s out here with late day T-storms. There may be such a thing as too much patty pan squash.

TOTD: I'd like to see a device that combined the features of a cell phone and an iPad. Sort of an all-in-one mobile device. Maybe they already make one and I just don't know about it.

FlaGator
07-22-2010, 11:42 AM
We'll hit the high 80s out here with late day T-storms. There may be such a thing as too much patty pan squash.

TOTD: I'd like to see a device that combined the features of a cell phone and an iPad. Sort of an all-in-one mobile device. Maybe they already make one and I just don't know about it.

iPad with Skype

Hawkgirl
07-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Hot and steamy....Tropical Depression headed right for us...

TOTD: jetson type commutes.

malloc
07-22-2010, 07:03 PM

They are coming out. I'm definitely getting one of these.

http://www.brighthand.com/assets/13166.jpg

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16811&news=Google+Android+OS+Dell+Streak+ATT+Mini+5

Combine this large Android OS tablet with cellphone capabilities with a bluetooth headset, and you have basically a net app tablet that doubles as a phone. I suppose you can hold this huge thing up to the side of your head if you wanted to, but the bluetooth would be more comfortable. What's most impressive is the HDMI output, so you can hook it up to your bigscreen T.V. to watch web videos, or do presentations and what not.

Weather: Hot, in the afternoon, monsoons which makes it humid.

TOTD: There are two things I'd like to see invented in my lifetime. The first is a quantum state communication machine. Basically instant communication regardless of distance. The second would be a space-plane. Basically a runway take-off/land vehicle capable of space flight.

Wei Wu Wei
07-22-2010, 07:28 PM
A way to download more information faster into my own brain. Like being able to read entire books in minutes. I'll never be able to read as many books as I'd like to.

malloc
07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
A way to download more information faster into my own brain. Like being able to read entire books in minutes. I'll never be able to read as many books as I'd like to.

God yes! That would be fantastic, you'd just have to watch out for pop up ads. You ever hear a jingle you can't get out of your head? It would be like that, but on steroids.

Rockntractor
07-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm all for a holodeck, as long as it is self cleaning!

Articulate_Ape
07-22-2010, 08:10 PM
A little cooler here today, high 70's.

TOTD: Easy answer: a time machine. It would settle a whole lot of current disputes.

Rockntractor
07-22-2010, 08:10 PM

You should really be wishing for comprehension skills.

Gingersnap
07-22-2010, 09:11 PM

Try Evelyn Woods Speed Reading Dynamics (http://www.ewrd.com/ewrd/index.asp). It's pointless for technical information but for what you read, it would probably work fine. ;)

marv
07-22-2010, 10:16 PM
TOTD: A device to create static interference with hand held communication devices inside an auto when the ignition is on.

patriot45
07-22-2010, 10:19 PM
TOTD: A dissolvable wieght to toss my bait way out there so after it dissolves it would freeline!

Rockntractor
07-22-2010, 10:21 PM
TOTD: A dissolvable wieght to toss my bait way out there so after it dissolves it would freeline!

Use an ice cube.

patriot45
07-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Use an ice cube.

Are they heavy? How do you keep it on the line! Don't think I haven't thought of this! It would go over big for the surfcaster guys!!!

Rockntractor
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Are they heavy? How do you keep it on the line! Don't think I haven't thought of this! It would go over big for the surfcaster guys!!!

Make a mold shaped like a spool to freeze them in. Water is somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 pounds a gallon.

patriot45
07-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Make a mold shaped like a spool to freeze them in. Water is somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 pounds a gallon.

But will it dissolve in water!?!

Rockntractor
07-22-2010, 10:27 PM
You could take a regular ice cube tray and freeze a treble hook in each cube, it would be easy enough to tie them then.

patriot45
07-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I was thinking more like a sugar mold around lead!

Rockntractor
07-22-2010, 10:29 PM
But will it dissolve in water!?!
An Ice cube dissolve in water in Florida! Dude!

malloc
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Ya'll are going about this all wrong.

Attach a few ounces of sodium or potassium to your line. It's got good sectional density and uh, I guess you could say that it dissolves in water.

patriot45
07-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Ya'll are going about this all wrong.

Attach a few ounces of sodium or potassium to your line. It's got good sectional density and uh, I guess you could say that it dissolves in water.

My wife just asked me why I couldn't tie it to a bottle rocket and let fly!... women :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
07-22-2010, 10:39 PM
My wife just asked me why I couldn't tie it to a bottle rocket and let fly!... women :rolleyes:

And they wonder why their eyes get all black and shit!:rolleyes:

patriot45
07-22-2010, 10:42 PM
And they wonder why their eyes get all black and shit!:rolleyes:

Wait a minute! Hold my beer and let me try this!!

Gingersnap
07-22-2010, 10:50 PM

Like you haven't already tried this sometime during your teen years.

malloc
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I have two options that don't involve elementary water activated explosives or ice.

The first would be your basic water weight. The weight goes through the line so the line can move freely through the weight, up to some point you knot towards the end of your line. Second the weight is a light plastic shell filled with water. If you use the same water from the source you are fishing in, this should give you pretty close to neutral ballast while the line is underwater since the weight will have essentially the same density as the surrounding water.

The second options involves finding out whatever the hell they make gelcaps out of.

Rockntractor
07-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I have two options that don't involve elementary water activated explosives or ice.

The first would be your basic water weight. The weight goes through the line so the line can move freely through the weight, up to some point you knot towards the end of your line. Second the weight is a light plastic shell filled with water. If you use the same water from the source you are fishing in, this should give you pretty close to neutral ballast while the line is underwater since the weight will have essentially the same density as the surrounding water.

The second options involves finding out whatever the hell they make gelcaps out of.

Gelatin.

patriot45
07-22-2010, 11:06 PM

That seems too much like science! I'd rather have some more uses of explosives! :D

I'm wondering about a radio controlled boat or sub to run the bait out there.... but how to drop it off unless you blow them up!:D

Rockntractor
07-22-2010, 11:10 PM
That seems too much like science! I'd rather have some more uses of explosives! :D

I'm wondering about a radio controlled boat or sub to run the bait out there.... but how to drop it off unless you blow them up!:D

Just use a crank telephone instead of radio.:D

Gingersnap
07-22-2010, 11:25 PM

Try pole fishing. I do it and you can really get into the structure for bass. Those graphite telescoping rods are awesome. I save spin casting for crappie, walleyes, bluegill, and swiper.

patriot45
07-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Try pole fishing. I do it and you can really get into the structure for bass. Those graphite telescoping rods are awesome. I save spin casting for crappie, walleyes, bluegill, and swiper.

Okay, I gotta get me one of those telescoping, graphite exploding rods!

Gingersnap
07-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Okay, I gotta get me one of those telescoping, graphite exploding rods!

Okay, they don't explode. Well, not without thermite anyway.

PoliCon
07-23-2010, 01:16 AM

You mean like the hand held Global communicator from Earth Final Conflict? I'd much rather see holosuites. :)

Gingersnap
07-23-2010, 01:17 AM
You mean like the hand held Global communicator from Earth Final Conflict? I'd much rather see holosuites. :)

Too addictive.

Rockntractor
07-23-2010, 01:18 AM

They wouldn't have to go through that much trouble for you, maybe a holoshoebox.