PDA

View Full Version : Sen. John Kerry skips town on sails tax

SarasotaRepub
07-23-2010, 07:04 PM
My oh my!!! (http://bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1269698) A Dem not wanting to pay his "fair" share????

Sen. John Kerry (http://bostonherald.com/search/?topic=John+Kerry), who has repeatedly voted to raise taxes while in Congress, dodged a whopping six-figure state tax bill on his new multimillion-dollar yacht by mooring her in Newport, R.I.

Isabel - Kerry’s luxe, 76-foot New Zealand-built Friendship sloop with an Edwardian-style, glossy varnished teak interior, two VIP main cabins and a pilothouse fitted with a wet bar and cold wine storage - was designed by Rhode Island boat designer Ted Fontaine.

But instead of berthing the vessel in Nantucket, where the senator summers with the missus, Teresa Heinz, Isabel’s hailing port is listed as “Newport” on her stern.

Could the reason be that the Ocean State repealed its Boat Sales and Use Tax back in 1993, making the tiny state to the south a haven - like the Cayman Islands, Bermuda and Nassau - for tax-skirting luxury yacht owners?

:rolleyes: How many threads will there be on DU about this??? :D

Hawkgirl
07-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Hypocracy....that's what's for dinner in Congress.

DU+NU_Reject
07-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Hypocracy....that's what's for dinner in Congress.

Hypocrisy ;)

Constitutionally Speaking
07-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Isn't John F. Kerry the same politician who called businesses who use offshore tax havens, unpatriotic???

NJCardFan
07-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Hypocrisy ;)

No, I think Hawkgirl is on to something here. Hypocracy could work as a political ideology. Sort of like Idiocracy.

lacarnut
07-24-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't blame Kerry for avoiding taxes. We all would do it. However, conservatives are not two faced hypocritical assholes like Kerry who is all for soaking the rich as long as it is not him and his Democratic tax dodge cheating buddies like Tiny Tim, cold cash Jefferson and grease-ball Charlie.

JB
07-24-2010, 07:13 PM
...if Kerry berths the Isabel in Massachusetts waters within six months of purchasing the boat, there’s a “presumption of use” and the Heinz-Kerrys would have to walk the plank and pony up to the Bay State. After six months, should the boat change its berth to, say, Nantucket, then it’s up to the state to go after them for the taxes, Bliss addedThe chance of that happening are about the same as Kerry letting me borrow the new toy for the weekend.

Hypocrites indeed. Liberals love OPM.

Good find SR.

DU+NU_Reject
07-25-2010, 11:47 PM
No, I think Hawkgirl is on to something here. Hypocracy could work as a political ideology. Sort of like Idiocracy.

Hypocracy: just like kleptocracy, only with more sugar on top.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/iamjooish/th_evil.gif

I guess it's time to admit I'm a bit pedantic.

NJCardFan
07-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Hypocracy: just like kleptocracy, only with more sugar on top.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/iamjooish/th_evil.gif

I guess it's time to admit I'm a bit pedantic.

Ah, but Branwdo has electrolytes.

PoliCon
07-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Isn't John F. Kerry the same politician who called businesses who use offshore tax havens, unpatriotic???

Yes but what you fail to see is that the key to that accusation is Businesses. He's not a business - he's just someone who inherited his wives money - so it's OK when he does it. Now if he had actually earned the money he's spending that would be a totally different animal . . . . ;)

lacarnut
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes but what you fail to see is that the key to that accusation is Businesses. He's not a business - he's just someone who inherited his wives money - so it's OK when he does it. Now if he had actually earned the money he's spending that would be a totally different animal . . . . ;)

The Heinz family probably has more LLC and trusts set up than you can shake a stick at to protect them from lawsuits and for income tax purposes. That's how the rich operate. If I am not mistaken, that yacht is in the business name.

PoliCon
07-26-2010, 11:03 AM
The Heinz family probably has more LLC and trusts set up than you can shake a stick at to protect them from lawsuits and for income tax purposes. That's how the rich operate. If I am not mistaken, that yacht is in the business name.

Oh I know how they operate and how they hide their income - I did a presentation in my American Presidency class on Bush and Kerry comparing and contrasting their tax burdens and wealth. Kerry who has more income and more wealth paid less in taxes than did Bush. Anyone surprised by this? I hope not.

lacarnut
07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Oh I know how they operate and how they hide their income - I did a presentation in my American Presidency class on Bush and Kerry comparing and contrasting their tax burdens and wealth. Kerry who has more income and more wealth paid less in taxes than did Bush. Anyone surprised by this? I hope not...

Plus he gave a hell of a lot less to charity. Kinda a trademark of cheap scape Democrats like Obama, Kerry and Clinton who are for the little people.:rolleyes: For them, generosity and giving remains at home.

PoliCon
07-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Plus he gave a hell of a lot less to charity. Kinda a trademark of cheap scape Democrats like Obama, Kerry and Clinton who are for the little people.:rolleyes: For them, generosity and giving remains at home.

They are exceedingly generous with other people's money - like all progressives are.