PDA

View Full Version : Star Gazing: Great planet views this month

Molon Labe
07-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Anybody into Astronomy?

Check out the clear skies at dusk (Between 8:45 and 10) tonight and you can See Venus, Mars and Saturn in a diagonal line in the West.

Mars and Saturn are pretty faint right now.... and getting very close to each other.... but you can make them out because they will be to the left and up diagonally from Venus. And it will be the first stars you can make out next to Venus as the sky goes from dusk to dark.

Pretty good naked eye view, but a pair of binocs works good and at least a 3" scope even better.

Jupiter will be up around 1230am

I used to be love this with camping, but with work and family and work and family...it's hard to make time. Now with the internet and modern telescopes you can see some pretty awesome things especially if you live off the grid rurally where theres no lights

Constitutionally Speaking
07-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Anybody into Astronomy?

Check out the clear skies at dusk (Between 8:45 and 10) tonight and you can See Venus, Mars and Saturn in a diagonal line in the West.

Mars and Saturn are pretty faint right now.... and getting very close to each other.... but you can make them out because they will be to the left and up diagonally from Venus. And it will be the first stars you can make out next to Venus as the sky goes from dusk to dark.

Pretty good naked eye view, but a pair of binocs works good and at least a 3" scope even better.

Jupiter will be up around 1230am

I used to be love this with camping, but with work and family and work and family...it's hard to make time. Now with the internet and modern telescopes you can see some pretty awesome things especially if you live off the grid rurally where theres no lights

Hopefully the cloud cover we have now will clear out.

djones520
07-24-2010, 12:25 PM

Wouldn't count on it.

Molon Labe
07-24-2010, 12:42 PM

it's hazy here every evening with isolated thunderstorms bring sporadic cloud cover all evening, and we are pushin 100 degrees today... so it's made it difficult the last few weeks.

Oh and the full moon puts a damper on things too. Give it two weeks and the milky way will be back in view.

Here's a cool site to see where the inner planets are at the current time.

http://www.lightandmatter.com/planetfinder/en/

Molon Labe
07-24-2010, 09:19 PM
So right about now Venus is low in the South. Mars and Saturn are about 15 degrees to the left in the sky right now.

Saturn is pretty dim, so I pulled out the Binocs. It's about two finger widths left of Mars and slightly up. (using dominant eye method)

Skies are about 80% clear here, but the humidity and haze make for rough viewing.

Molon Labe
09-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Pretty cool evening viewing for the next few weeks of Jupiter and Venus.

Venus is really bright, but lower in the sky than it was during mid summer. Right after dusk you can spot both Venus and Jupiter.

What's cool about Jupiter right now is that it is about as bright and close to the Earth as it's going to get. On Sep 21 the sun earth and Juipiter will be right in line with one another. So Jupiter will mirror the sun, rising in the east just as the sun sets in the west. Jupiter will be visible all night long.

With a pair of really good binoculars like 10x42 and better, you can make out about 4 of Jupiter's moons. I'm going to be purchasing either a 6" or 8" telescope in the next year. You can get a really good "go to" scope for less than a grand now. A pretty decent one for around $500

Calypso Jones
09-19-2010, 03:38 PM
the Droid has a great free application...is that the correct term....where you can point it up in the sky and it will ID the stars, constellations, planets. fun feature.

Molon Labe
09-19-2010, 05:15 PM
the Droid has a great free application...is that the correct term....where you can point it up in the sky and it will ID the stars, constellations, planets. fun feature.

I wish I had something like that. It's easier to locate planets now with the internet and those applications for phones.

Rockntractor
09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
I still haven't finished my terraforming machine.

Molon Labe
01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok.....about 6pm tonight step outside and look high in the sky in the vicinity of West or SW depending on where you live. That's Jupiter. It'll be the brightest thing in the sky other than the crescent moon.

And on January 10, the moon will be moving closer and above Jupiter in the W. It'll be one of the best views this year.

If you have a good pair of high resolution Binos and little artificial light, then you can make out about 3 or 4 moons. You will probably see the moons better once our moon moves back into the new moon phase.

And then when you get up for work and have nothing better to do...check out the sky about 630 am.
The brightest thing in the sky is Venus. Saturn is in the sky too in the morning before dawn, but it's harder to locate without a chart. It should be the only other star in the skyup and to Venus right as dawn approaches

Wish more people were interested in amateur astronomy. Those new "go to" scopes are pretty cheap now days. It's not that dificult anymore.

Gingersnap
01-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Very cool! I'll check it out if it's clear.

noonwitch
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM

It's supposed to snow this evening, so I would expect the cloud cover to thicken.

Molon Labe
02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
This will be a great month for spotting Jupiter and Venus. They will almost converge around March 12th in the West during Twilight in the evening. You can see them moving closer to each other each night.

Mars rises right in the East at about the same time.

If you have a Droid or IPhone. Google has a cool AP called Google Sky Map that lets you use the phone as a celestial GPS.