PDA

View Full Version : Damage Control After Leak of Afghan War Docs

namvet
07-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Some 90,000 leaked U.S. military records amount to an blow-by-blow account of six years of the Afghanistan war, including unreported incidents of Afghan civilian killings as well as covert operations against Taliban figures, two newspapers and a magazine with access to the documents reported Sunday.

The online whistle-blower organization Wikileaks was expected to post the documents on its website Sunday. The New York Times, London's Guardian newspaper and the German

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/25/papers-leaked-documents-unreported-afghan-deaths-fears-insurgency/
we have a leaker. preofessional???
Wikileaks - that's they're job. leaking classifed or other important docs. no matter who's lives are at risk

http://wikileaks.org/

Kay
07-25-2010, 10:46 PM
I was just reading that article.
Would that not fall under the word TREASON?
If not what exactly would.

namvet
07-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I was just reading that article.
Would that not fall under the word TREASON?
If not what exactly would.

no kiddin !!! and they're doing it openly in public. they claim they're running out of funds. gee wonder why. im sure the terrorists subscribe !!!!

KhrushchevsShoe
07-25-2010, 11:03 PM
http://vulgarmorality.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/young_frankenstein1.jpg

Behold your creation.

Apocalypse
07-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Two things to point out.

One is NYT is part of this groups members.

Piecing Together the Reports, and Deciding What to Publish

July 25, 2010

The articles published today are based on thousands of United States military incident and intelligence reports — records of engagements, mishaps, intelligence on enemy activity and other events from the war in Afghanistan — that were made public on Sunday on the Internet. The New York Times, The Guardian newspaper in London, and the German magazine Der Spiegel were given access to the material several weeks ago. These reports are used by desk officers in the Pentagon and troops in the field when they make operational plans and prepare briefings on the situation in the war zone. Most of the reports are routine, even mundane, but many add insights, texture and context to a war that has been waged for nearly nine years.

Over all these documents amount to a real-time history of the war reported from one important vantage point — that of the soldiers and officers actually doing the fighting and reconstruction.

The documents — some 92,000 individual reports in all — were made available to The Times and the European news organizations by WikiLeaks, an organization devoted to exposing secrets of all kinds, on the condition that the papers not report on the data until July 25, when WikiLeaks said it intended to post the material on the Internet.

Second is, why they have such great access? Who in the Obama admin is handing all this info over to them? And under whos instruction.

KhrushchevsShoe
07-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Because its completely shocking a major international media outlet would be interested in getting leaked information.

obx
07-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Because its completely shocking a major international media outlet would be interested in getting leaked information.

No, it should be shocking that a major media outlet would be interested in giving aid and comfort to the enemy. I have some rope and a tree if anybody needs them.
________
PISSING VOYEUR (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/838/voyeur/videos/1)

djones520
07-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Two things to point out.

One is NYT is part of this groups members.

Second is, why they have such great access? Who in the Obama admin is handing all this info over to them? And under whos instruction.

It's not the Obama admin. I could have gotten all those documents myself and handed them over if I wanted to. Just like that Soldier who handed over 100,000 documents a few weeks back. There is WAY TO MANY people in the military who has access to this stuff that doesn't need it. Hell, I'm sitting right next to a SIPR terminal, and it's only use for me is solely as a back up when the NIPR goes down.

With two major releases like this in such a short time, I would expect a major shit storm to be building in the DoD. I hope so at least. This shit has got to stop.

NJCardFan
07-26-2010, 08:34 AM
What? Civilians were killed during a war? No! :rolleyes:

Odysseus
07-26-2010, 09:46 AM

No, the leak is the shocking part. Someone who had access to this data, i.e., someone with a position of trust within the government, leaked this. The publication isn't shocking. The Times has demonstrated that it is perfectly willing to endanger our lives in pursuit of its agenda (and by "ours," I mean the troops who will be exposed to direct hazard as a result of the disclosure of operation data). It's disgusting, but it's not shocking, unless you're shocked by the contempt that the Times and its ilk has for those of us who protect their right to be treasonous scum.

namvet
07-26-2010, 10:10 AM
No, the leak is the shocking part. Someone who had access to this data, i.e., someone with a position of trust within the government, leaked this. The publication isn't shocking. The Times has demonstrated that it is perfectly willing to endanger our lives in pursuit of its agenda (and by "ours," I mean the troops who will be exposed to direct hazard as a result of the disclosure of operation data). It's disgusting, but it's not shocking, unless you're shocked by the contempt that the Times and its ilk has for those of us who protect their right to be treasonous scum.

Someone who had access to this data, i.e., someone with a position of trust within the government

contradiction in terms. national security is a joke. we haven't had any for years !!!!

swirling_vortex
07-26-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm kind of mixed about this. On one hand, it is good to have whistleblowers because they help to attempt to expose corruption in our governments, corporations, and other organizations that can potentially hurt people. However, what they're doing is still breaking the law and it violates the privacy of those that are involved. The headlines that I read from it aren't really that shocking, I think most people had figured out that Pakistan is two-faced on their foreign policy and that people die in war. What is surprising is that someone was able to get this information out. I know that some areas in the government, USB drives are banned because people can put viruses on them and transport this stuff, so it would have to be somebody close to the system.

PoliCon
07-26-2010, 10:53 AM
The left is going to spin this as a cover up - but I have to ask - is there any indication that wrong doing in any of the cases was covered up? Or is it a matter that these cases were not made PUBLIC?

IMO this would qualify as treason unless there is evidence of a cover up of wrong doing.

namvet
07-26-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm kind of mixed about this. On one hand, it is good to have whistleblowers because they help to attempt to expose corruption in our governments, corporations, and other organizations that can potentially hurt people. However, what they're doing is still breaking the law and it violates the privacy of those that are involved. The headlines that I read from it aren't really that shocking, I think most people had figured out that Pakistan is two-faced on their foreign policy and that people die in war. What is surprising is that someone was able to get this information out. I know that some areas in the government, USB drives are banned because people can put viruses on them and transport this stuff, so it would have to be somebody close to the system.

but a lot of people, including our troops can die before its revealed. just sayin. if they shoot some of these disloyal fucks the others will fall in line. but that's not gonna happen. it seems more convienent to just fire em.

namvet
07-26-2010, 10:58 AM
when i got my security clearance for Nam an officer stuck his finger in my face and said if you lose just one doc your door prize is a life sentence at Lenenworth. it should apply to civilians as well.

namvet
07-26-2010, 12:16 PM
so we're a bunch a baby killers. where have i heard this before??

hDcnBeY_t3c

Apocalypse
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Seems the Government knows who the leaker is, and it was told to them by a well known computer hacker.

The accused leaker is one Pfc. Bradley Manning who is charged with leaking classified US military information – including the video of a US Army helicopter gunning down Iraqi civilians and Reuters journalists in Iraq in 2007 to the website WikiLeaks. Bradley now held in military detention in Kuwait. Bradley, currently faces up to 52 years imprisonment.

He has re-emerged in the spotlight following his decision last month to tell federal agents he had reason to believe an Army private in Iraq was leaking classified information. He said the information was going to WikiLeaks.org, a website based in Sweden that publishes information about governments and corporations submitted by anonymous individuals.

The soldier, Pfc. Bradley Manning, a 22-year-old intelligence analyst who was stationed near Baghdad, is reportedly being held by the Army in Kuwait while the case is investigated.

Lamo said Manning contacted him online after reading a profile of him on wired.com, which first reported Manning's arrest and Lamo's involvement last Sunday. Manning, he said, bragged about leaking classified military information to WikiLeaks, including the so-called "Collateral Murder" video of a U.S. helicopter attack in Baghdad that killed several civilians in 2007. That video appeared on WikiLeaks in April.

Lamo said Manning also claimed to have leaked other materials to the website, including 260,000 U.S. classified diplomatic cables.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/13/2818601/famous-hacker-suddenly-finds-himself.html#ixzz0uo49OxI4

Odysseus
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
but a lot of people, including our troops can die before its revealed. just sayin. if they shoot some of these disloyal fucks the others will fall in line. but that's not gonna happen. it seems more convienent to just fire em.

Nah. Firings involve all sorts of HR issues. Shooting is much more economical. And appropriate.

Apocalypse
07-26-2010, 12:39 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/Dispel_Illusions/1-3.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/Dispel_Illusions/2.jpg

Charge Sheet (redacted) – Manning ~ PDF
http://www.bradleymanning.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Charge-Sheet-redacted-Manning.pdf

Odysseus
07-26-2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.bradleymanning.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Charge-Sheet-redacted-Manning.pdf

And, of course, the usual suspects are trying to set up a defense fund and calling him a hero. Facebook has a page supporting this treasonous little lowlife. Some people just aren't worth defending.

Zathras
07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Seems the Government knows who the leaker is, and it was told to them by a well known computer hacker.

The accused leaker is one Pfc. Bradley Manning who is charged with leaking classified US military information – including the video of a US Army helicopter gunning down Iraqi civilians and Reuters journalists in Iraq in 2007 to the website WikiLeaks. Bradley now held in military detention in Kuwait. Bradley, currently faces up to 52 years imprisonment.

Actually, reading the list of charges you posted, it's up to 68 years imprisonment and up to $2 million in fines. But the one charge that should be there, but isn't:

ARTICLE 104. AIDING THE ENEMY

Any person who–

(1) aids, or attempts to aid, the enemy with arms, ammunition, supplies, money, or other things; or

(2) without proper authority, knowingly harbors or protects or gives intelligence to or communicates or corresponds with or holds any intercourse with the enemy, either directly or indirectly;

shall suffer death or such other punishment as a court-martial or military commission may direct.

Sure sounds like what this piece of shit did would fall under part 2 of Article 104 to me.

Apocalypse
07-26-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't think he's been through court yet, so the list of charges against him I'm sure is not done yet.

Hawkgirl
07-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Why would he risk jail time for this? He's either a hardcore lib or someone's pawn.

Constitutionally Speaking
07-26-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't see why this is not treason.

Apocalypse
07-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Maybe because of one of the requirements of Treason. "Enemy".

Last I checked, we were not at war with Sweden, or its organization based there of wikileaks.

SarasotaRepub
07-27-2010, 07:18 AM
I was reading this morning that the guy who runs WikiLeaks loves to "crush bastards".

Funny thing though, those "bastards" like to "crush" back. :eek: :D I don't think I'd be selling this clown any life insurance...

djones520
07-27-2010, 07:26 AM
I was reading this morning that the guy who runs WikiLeaks loves to "crush bastards".

Funny thing though, those "bastards" like to "crush" back. :eek: :D I don't think I'd be selling this clown any life insurance...

Is he still on the run? Last I heard the government was hunting his ass down and he went into hiding.

Odysseus
07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Is he still on the run? Last I heard the government was hunting his ass down and he went into hiding.

Maybe we can add a couple of Mohammed drawings to the leaked files. That way, if we don't get him, the Muslims will. :D

PoliCon
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Maybe because of one of the requirements of Treason. "Enemy".

Last I checked, we were not at war with Sweden, or its organization based there of wikileaks.

a fine point that is . . . .

namvet
07-27-2010, 11:27 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/bg072710dAPR20100727014538.jpg

I think it was jane fonda again

marinejcksn
07-27-2010, 03:41 PM
I hope this douche spends the rest of his life in the Brig.

PoliCon
07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm sure barry or some other leftist would commute his sentence given half a chance . . . .

Apocalypse
07-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm sure barry or some other leftist would commute his sentence given half a chance . . . .

I don't think so in this situation. This is an embarrassment to him and their ability to prevent leaks.

One thing I've been wondering about. They have had this guy in prison for some time now. But why keep him in a Kuwait prison, not bring him back to the states to face charges?

Nubs
07-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Just heard that WikiLeaks took the information to the Whitehouse to give them a heads up they were going to publish the info. The Whitehouse was silent.

Odysseus
07-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Why would he risk jail time for this? He's either a hardcore lib or someone's pawn.
Or a 22-year-old who didn't think through what would happen.

I don't think so in this situation. This is an embarrassment to him and their ability to prevent leaks.

One thing I've been wondering about. They have had this guy in prison for some time now. But why keep him in a Kuwait prison, not bring him back to the states to face charges?
Arifjan is the theater headquarters. They can try him there just as easily as here.

Just heard that WikiLeaks took the information to the Whitehouse to give them a heads up they were going to publish the info. The Whitehouse was silent.
Meaning that they didn't ask them not to publish, or that they had no public comment?

Nubs
07-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Meaning that they didn't ask them not to publish, or that they had no public comment?

The Whitehouse did not request that the information not be published. This is from the interview with the head of WikiLeaks. The interview will be shown on Judge Napalitano's show on Satursaty morning.

Lager
07-28-2010, 07:44 PM
ABC News is reporting that the leaked documents contain names and identify some Afghan sources who have provided information and assistance in the fight against Al Qaida and the Taliban. In some cases exposing some of their plans and identifying leaders. These sources may now have to fear for their lives and the safety of their families could be in serious jeopardy. The founder of WikiLeaks when questioned, acted if that was a small price to pay for possibly ending the war sooner, rather than later.

Way to go Asshole

nightflight
07-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Oh c'mon, people, this is no big deal. All we are talking about is the release of thousands of top secret documents, which could put ours and our allies military personel in even more danger.

Its not like Chelsea Clinton's wedding plans.

SarasotaRepub
07-29-2010, 07:24 AM

I'd have him shot, then put in the Brig. :mad::D

Odysseus
07-29-2010, 01:12 PM
The Whitehouse did not request that the information not be published. This is from the interview with the head of WikiLeaks. The interview will be shown on Judge Napalitano's show on Satursaty morning.
I guess that it wasn't important enough for Obama to ask him not to publish it. It's not like the Chicago bid for the Olympics, or firing a general. Those things have to be done immediately, but you can't interupt the man's golf game for this.

ABC News is reporting that the leaked documents contain names and identify some Afghan sources who have provided information and assistance in the fight against Al Qaida and the Taliban. In some cases exposing some of their plans and identifying leaders. These sources may now have to fear for their lives and the safety of their families could be in serious jeopardy. The founder of WikiLeaks when questioned, acted if that was a small price to pay for possibly ending the war sooner, rather than later.

Way to go Asshole
Yeah, because the founder of Wikileaks wants to "stop the killing." By getting our allies and their families killed. What an idiot. We definitely need to put a predator drone on him.

Molon Labe
07-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Way to go Asshole

That's the biggest problem. Is that names were named. That affects future operations and the people (citizens) involved in Afghanistan. Exposing deception is one thing, but when you name Afghanis at the price of them being killed, then you have gone too far.

PoliCon
07-29-2010, 01:51 PM
That's the biggest problem. Is that names were named. That affects future operations and the people (citizens) involved in Afghanistan. Exposing deception is one thing, but when you name Afghanis at the price of them being killed, then you have gone too far.

You forget that with the left the ends always justify the means. They would willingly destroy the world if they thought it would gain them their preferred policy goals. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
07-29-2010, 04:00 PM
The troopie who leaked these documents and the web-weasel who published them are not interested in the lives of victims of totalitarian violence. They only care about attacking the nation that protects people from totalitarians.

You forget that with the left the ends always justify the means. They would willingly destroy the world if they thought it would gain them their preferred policy goals. :rolleyes:
Leftists don't understand that they will destroy the world. I suspect that right up until the Visigoths sacked the city, there were Romans who believed that they were spending too much on the legions and that Rome would never fall because it never had. Leftists believe that America can be defeated, capitalism destroyed and human inequality abolished, but that somehow they will remain on top of the heap and their lifestyles will not suffer. It's magical realism. They want something to be true, so it is.

PoliCon
07-29-2010, 05:03 PM
They want something to be true, so it is.The narrative is more important than the facts.