PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake City. . .

CueSi
07-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Anyone live there... anyone have a religious attachment to it? I'm visiting there in a couple weeks and just want some input . . . I'm already going to go to a craft fair, Temple Square, the gardens @ University of Utah . . . anyone have anything else?

~QC

NJCardFan
07-26-2010, 04:38 PM
The only thing I can tell you is that it's hard to get lost. The city is set up in a symmetrical grid. here are no weird streets and such and it's pretty easy to navigate.

marv
07-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Been through there a couple of times on the way to Ogden. Loved the place.

CueSi
07-26-2010, 07:08 PM
The only thing I can tell you is that it's hard to get lost. The city is set up in a symmetrical grid. here are no weird streets and such and it's pretty easy to navigate.

I live in Miami, which is notoriously disorganized and cluttered - - With a clean and organized city, I honestly wouldn't know how to navigate it. It sounds really intimidating, TBH. :p

~QC

lurkalot
07-26-2010, 07:42 PM
I live a few hours from Salt Lake. Its relatively easy to navigate. All streets navigate from the Temple and are notoriously named...so you have south, east, west, north Temple streets...thats the part that gets a bit confusing. Kids would love the Lagoon...the Temple is beautiful...great restaurants in the downtown "old" part of the city...and just on the edge of the city..incredible scenery...
Salt Flats where they do the racing and testing are just on the edge of the city...
It is a beautiful place to spend a few days...

CueSi
07-26-2010, 08:13 PM
I live a few hours from Salt Lake. Its relatively easy to navigate. All streets navigate from the Temple and are notoriously named...so you have south, east, west, north Temple streets...thats the part that gets a bit confusing. Kids would love the Lagoon...the Temple is beautiful...great restaurants in the downtown "old" part of the city...and just on the edge of the city..incredible scenery...
Salt Flats where they do the racing and testing are just on the edge of the city...
It is a beautiful place to spend a few days...

That's what I'm told. I'm not an L.A. Person, Aspen's too expensive, Denver is meh. . .Texas just strikes me as WAAYYY too hot -- I got friends/places to stay in all those places , but I figure SLC is off the beaten path. . .and their decadence is light. Too much decadence would bring me back to my old ways.

~QC

Gingersnap
07-26-2010, 08:43 PM
You're looking to avoid decadence and Aspen made your short list? :eek:

CueSi
07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
You're looking to avoid decadence and Aspen made your short list? :eek:

My ex-b/f has his condo there...but, notice it did NOT make the final cut. :p

~QC

Kay
07-26-2010, 09:37 PM
You'll really like it there. It's a nice clean city to visit and the Utah mountains are so
beautiful. I did like you, and took off one time specifically to Salt Lake City to spend
a week, just to visit the area. They had a nice zoo there too. The Temple is very
interesting to visit if you like historical places.

namvet
07-26-2010, 09:59 PM
me and a pal stopped there over night on our way home on leave. we got snot slingin, commode huggin drunk. does that count???

CueSi
07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
You'll really like it there. It's a nice clean city to visit and the Utah mountains are so
beautiful. I did like you, and took off one time specifically to Salt Lake City to spend
a week, just to visit the area. They had a nice zoo there too. The Temple is very
interesting to visit if you like historical places.

You have to understand, I haven't seen mountains since I was 10, when I was in my aunt's house in Jamaica. I'm an ex-history major, my host/companion has a BA in history, so I'm not just doing The Temple, I'm doing their genealogical center too.

me and a pal stopped there over night on our way home on leave. we got snot slingin, commode huggin drunk. does that count???

Yes, it does... I hope to get f'n drunk as hell at least TWICE while I'm up there. I'm told the LDS somehow know how to party. Won't believe it till I see it. :p

~QC

RobJohnson
07-27-2010, 02:15 AM
I've never been there but it does sound like an interesting place to visit.

SaintLouieWoman
07-27-2010, 08:18 AM
You have to understand, I haven't seen mountains since I was 10, when I was in my aunt's house in Jamaica. I'm an ex-history major, my host/companion has a BA in history, so I'm not just doing The Temple, I'm doing their genealogical center too.

Yes, it does... I hope to get f'n drunk as hell at least TWICE while I'm up there. I'm told the LDS somehow know how to party. Won't believe it till I see it. :p

~QC

Will you be able to travel much outside the city? I've been to Kenab, Utah twice with the greyhounds. Zion National Park is gorgeous, but would be quite a ride. I've never seen such natural, unspoiled beauty as in that state.

And somehow they do indeed know how to party. The contingent from SLC at the greyhound meetngs was the biggest group of partiers, way more than the folks attending from Vegas or LA. They somehow get inventive sneaking in that booze.. :D

CueSi
07-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Will you be able to travel much outside the city? I've been to Kenab, Utah twice with the greyhounds. Zion National Park is gorgeous, but would be quite a ride. I've never seen such natural, unspoiled beauty as in that state.

And somehow they do indeed know how to party. The contingent from SLC at the greyhound meetngs was the biggest group of partiers, way more than the folks attending from Vegas or LA. They somehow get inventive sneaking in that booze.. :D

We're staying inside the city. . .

I'm going to a club in SLC that's supposedly one of the best alternative clubs - - I'll wait to see how that compares to the places I've been in Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa.

~QC