PDA

View Full Version : Voters say take action against sanctuary cities

Gingersnap
07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Voters say take action against sanctuary cities

Survey finds majority opposed
By Joseph Weber - The Washington Times
8:51 p.m., Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A majority of likely voters say the federal government should take legal action against cities that provide safe havens to illegal immigrants and cut federal funds to so-called "sanctuary cities," a Rasmussen Reports survey shows.

The survey, released Tuesday, said 54 percent support legal action against sanctuary cities and 60 percent support withholding federal funds from the jurisdictions.

Critics of sanctuary cities say the Justice Department is acting unfairly by not pursuing such cities for breaking the law while taking legal action against Arizona for instituting state measures against illegal immigration.

"The federal government should be suing San Francisco, which has refused to cooperate with the federal government in enforcing immigration laws," said Corey Stewart, chairman of the Prince William (Va.) County Board of County Supervisors.

In 2007, Mr. Stewart was at the forefront of the issue, driving some of the county's toughest immigration laws.

"Our belief is that President Obama should be suing mayors [of sanctuary cities], not Arizona," said Maryland state Delegate Patrick L. McDonough, Baltimore County Republican. Mr. McDonough said he plans to introduce two immigration laws during the next General Assembly session: one that calls for a state ban on sanctuary cities and another patterned after the Arizona law.

A representative for U.S. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. recently said a "big difference" exists between a state or locality choosing not to use resources to enforce a federal law and a state passing its own immigration policy that "actively interferes with federal law."

Rasmussen found that 56 percent of those surveyed oppose the Justice Department's action against Arizona and that 61 percent favor legislation similar to Arizona's in their own state.

Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, San Francisco and the District of Columbia are among the major U.S. cities that have adopted sanctuary ordinances, which prohibit police officers and other municipal employees from asking people about their immigration status.

Washington Times (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jul/27/voters-say-take-action-against-sanctuary-cities/)

NJCardFan
07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I live in such a city. I've never seen so many out of state license plates with Mexican drivers in all my life.

Gingersnap
07-28-2010, 11:41 AM
We're starting to see a backlash against Denver out here over this issue. With all the new suburban hub centers that have built lately, there's no reason to go into Denver except for sporting events. I must have heard 5 or 6 people this summer say that they are spending their money outside of Denver until something is done about the illegal aliens and the Denver City Council's idiotic stance on the issue.

Satanicus
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Bush had his chance , and did nothing.

Speedy
07-28-2010, 11:46 AM

And what is Barky's excuse?

djones520
07-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Looking looking looking... nope not seeing anyone defend the Bush Administrations stance on illegal immigration.

fettpett
07-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Um...dipshit, Conservatives were against Bush's bullshit immigration stance

lacarnut
07-28-2010, 07:26 PM

The Community Organizer has done nothing also. Hey, I am agreeing with you for a change. However, Obummer was hired to fix the mess and he has made the problem worse.

Holder is a POS for suing AZ; he has not even read the law. I find that offensive. On the other hand, he will not go after public officials for harboring law breakers in sanctuary cities.

Gingersnap
07-28-2010, 08:31 PM

And this means what, exactly? Reagan saw the amnesty fiasco as the worst decision he ever made. Clinton did nothing. Neither Bush did anything. Obama is trying to make this mess easier for the criminals.

As far as I know, there is not some kind of National Political Time Table For Rejection Of Policy. People can reject policies whenever they want to do so. Conservatives have never supported this insanity.

that you confuse conservatives with Republicans is telling.

patriot45
07-28-2010, 08:36 PM

News flash brainboy!!! Bush is not the Prez anymore! You didnt get the meme? Its in the 0's hands now, time for some epic fails!
You are a dick.

Constitutionally Speaking
07-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Yes he did and he was wrong.

The idiot we have in the White House now, didn't learn a damn thing - despite seeing the mistake that Bush made.