PDA

View Full Version : A green replacement for packing peanuts

Gingersnap
07-29-2010, 01:31 PM
A green replacement for packing peanuts
Mushrooms comprise the new green packaging.
By Katy Rank LevWed, Jul 28 2010 at 8:10 PM EST
Read more: GREEN BUSINESS, GREEN SHOPPING, SHIPPING

http://i26.tinypic.com/bfnp08.jpg
REPLACING PEANUTS: Foam packaging might be on its way out. Mushroom-based materials use a fraction of the energy required to produce traditional packaging. (Photo:Photogirl7/Flickr)

Your days of picking packing peanuts out of the carpet could be numbered. According to e!ScienceNews, a product called Mycobond is sweeping the shipping industry. The main ingredients? Inedible agricultural waste and mushroom roots. According to the article, the fungus-based material takes “just one-eighth the energy and one-10th the carbon dioxide of traditional foam packing material.” And the best part? You can add these shipping supplies to the compost bin once your package arrives safe and sound.

A New York-based company, Ecovative Designs, is producing the new packing technology. Founders Gavin McIntyre and Even Bayer emphasize that they don’t “manufacture” their materials — they grow them. According to the article, the product is not dependent on petroleum and so will have a much more stable supply cost. The founders received a National Science Foundation grant to hone their sterilization process (necessary to get their mushroom roots growing free from “competing” fungi).

This would be great! :)

MNN (http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/a-green-replacement-for-packing-peanuts)

PoliCon
07-29-2010, 02:23 PM
BAH! More enviroweenie wasting of tax dollars.

Nubs
07-29-2010, 02:34 PM
Wait till you open a box full of them that have been sititng in the back of a hot shipping van for a day or two.

PoliCon
07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Wait till you open a box full of them that have been sititng in the back of a hot shipping van for a day or two.

If someone shipped me crap packed in mushrooms I'd have a case for a lawsuit.

Gingersnap
07-29-2010, 04:40 PM
BAH! More enviroweenie wasting of tax dollars.

No tax dollars - this is a private company. You can put the packing right into the compost. :)

m00
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
No tax dollars - this is a private company. You can put the packing right into the compost. :)

I bet it will be outlawed when some kid figures out how to use it to get him high.

PoliCon
07-29-2010, 05:05 PM
No tax dollars?

The founders received a National Science Foundation grant to hone their sterilization process

Articulate_Ape
07-29-2010, 05:07 PM
How is this any improvement on corn starch packing peanuts?

PoliCon
07-29-2010, 05:11 PM
How is this any improvement on corn starch packing peanuts?

corn is too expensive now thanks to the government.

Gingersnap
07-29-2010, 05:15 PM
No tax dollars?

Well, my mistake but this is actually the kind of useful grant that I would support. They used the money to refine a sterilization technique that will have implications beyond the packing peanut level, I'm sure.

What's not to like here? I'm sure the end product doesn't look or smell like 2 pounds of mushrooms that have been marinating on a loading dock for a week.

Articulate_Ape
07-29-2010, 05:16 PM
corn is too expensive now thanks to the government.

True. That's why I use dead squirrels.