PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find real unbiased political news?

jacksonhumer
07-29-2010, 11:27 PM
I have my own political beliefs, and am definitely decided about the US presidential election. But, I'm sick of all the spin!

Fox is way too right wing, and MSNBC is way too left wing. Is there no balance?

I'm not even convinced that the BBC or PBS are truely unbiased. Is there really an unbiased place to go for news?

Please, only answer if you truly believe that your source for news is unbiased. Also, maybe talk about how they covered a certain story for a brief example.

Thanks!

Rockntractor
07-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I have my own political beliefs, and am definitely decided about the US presidential election. But, I'm sick of all the spin!

I'm not even convinced that the BBC or PBS are truely unbiased. Is there really an unbiased place to go for news?

Please, only answer if you truly believe that your source for news is unbiased. Also, maybe talk about how they covered a certain story for a brief example.

Thanks!
Fox is balanced and has no connection to any side. Go back to DU and get the news you deserve!

Rockntractor
07-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Read this.
http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showpost.php?p=294420&postcount=11

NJCardFan
07-29-2010, 11:38 PM

Thanks!

As I said in another thread, Fox News has more liberals as commentators and guests than all other networks, the 3 majors included, has conservatives on COMBINED. This is indisputable. Bil O'Reilly has frigging Medea Benjamin on for fucks sake. How often does Keith Olbermann have Ted Nugent or Wayne LaPierre or Andrew Brietbart on? Never?

Bleda
07-30-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm not even convinced that the BBC or PBS are truely unbiased.

In what world is the BBC even remotely unbiased? :confused:

Anyway, my advice for you is, don't count on any news outlet for unbiased information. Just take the "raw' news and make up your opinion of that. Read blogs and see what they have to say about some issues, and decide whether it makes sense, or is backed by the facts.

Satanicus
07-30-2010, 06:41 AM
the CSM.

lacarnut
07-30-2010, 07:02 AM
O'Reilly is about as middle of the road as you are going to get. His audiences dwarf all the left wing networks. He has a mix of conservative and liberal guests; this has earned him a number 1 rating. In other words, he garners audiences from all types of political persuasion.

ToryBlue
07-30-2010, 07:56 AM
The BBC and the Canadian CBC are both left wing. Most newspapers have a bias and not just in their editorials, they slant the news and how it's reported, to suit their agendas. I would love to know of any national newspapers, U.S. or Canadian that are completely unbiased.

Molon Labe
07-30-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks!

Jackson

There is NO unbiased news source, neither television nor print. Everything has some bias. You have to decide what you think is most important in the media source you choose. TV news is mostly opinion journalism at it's worst, with a tilt toward some opinion that speaks to the right or left, but is really about entertainment.

Recommend you read this:

Amusing Ourselves to Death (http://www.amazon.com/Amusing-Ourselves-Death-Discourse-ebook/dp/B0023ZLLH6/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1277694512&sr=1-1)

Postman makes the assertion that television’s primary agenda, and the common denominator that almost all television programing falls to, is ENTERTAINMENT[/ (http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/41963.Neil_Postman)

Our politics, religion, news, athletics, education and commerce have been transformed into congenial adjuncts of show business, largely without protest or even much popular notice. The result is that we are a people on the verge of amusing ourselves to death.

Most of our daily news is inert, consisting of information that gives us something to talk about but cannot lead to any meaningful action

Television is altering the meaning of 'being informed' by creating a species of information that might properly be called disinformation. Disinformation does not mean false information. It means misleading information - misplaced, irrelevant, fragmented or superficial information - information that creates the illusion of knowing something, but which in fact leads one away from knowing.

Another book that is helpful, although not as profound as the one above, called How to Watch TV News.

I think one of the biggest problems in public information on news and current events is relying on TV news and newspapers. None of those mediums can do justice to complicated subjects like health care, the GWOT, or the economy. You have to read extensively on those subjects and the best way to do so is to read a book on the subject.

I tend to believe the best news sources on the net are the ones that speak toward abuse of the system. Where there isn't much influence by the elites in the federal government or big market media. Yet those are still biased in some ways. Just in ways I can relate to. Just my opinion.

Anyway, my advice for you is, don't count on any news outlet for unbiased information. Just take the "raw' news and make up your opinion of that. Read blogs and see what they have to say about some issues, and decide whether it makes sense, or is backed by the facts.

That is good advice.

FlaGator
07-30-2010, 08:43 AM
There is no unbiased news. All new organizations pander to one side or the other in order to maintain ratings or subscriptions. To truly go middle of the road and report unbiasedly is a death sentence to news reporting because all that will be accomplished will be to piss of both sides to the point where neither watch.

"and that's the way it is."

namvet
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Where can I find real unbiased political news?

another planet

swirling_vortex
07-30-2010, 10:19 AM

Thanks!
There is no totally balanced news. I don't know much about Fox because I usually don't watch the news on TV. I usually get my information in whatever comes up in my Google News feed and from the articles that are posted here. The best thing to do is to simply used multiple sources and form your own objective analysis of the situation.

NJCardFan
07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
O'Reilly is about as middle of the road as you are going to get. His audiences dwarf all the left wing networks. He has a mix of conservative and liberal guests; this has earned him a number 1 rating. In other words, he garners audiences from all types of political persuasion.

And he really puts on some loons. I mean Medea Benjamin(Code Pink)? This woman is straight off her cookie. He also had on the ACORN leadership and was extremely fair to them. Say what you want about Bill O but when he says the spin stops here, he means it.

Constitutionally Speaking
07-30-2010, 02:26 PM

Thanks!

Well, you are correct, PBS and the BBC are absolutely NOT unbiased - in fact they are amongst the most biased.

I would quibble with you that Fox is WAY too right wing - they are slightly conservative but other than Beck and Hannity they are pretty much middle of the road/slight conservative. Shep Smith is a flaming liberal. Other than social issues, O'Reilly is a populist type liberal.

But, if I were you, I would NEVER trust any one source. Watch all that you can, realizing that each party DOES bring bias to the story - get both sides and YOU decide what is true or not.

coachie
07-30-2010, 04:08 PM
There's no such thing as unbiased reporting, just keep searching for what you want to hear and you'll find it somewhere, no matter how far right or left. Believe what you want, this is America, it is whatever you want it to be.

3rd-try
07-30-2010, 10:29 PM
I take in Fox and NPR daily. I can say that Fox is far more likely to present both sides of the issue. This may be due to the less lopsided political mix employed there. NPR tends to down play or totally dismiss the Republican side of an issue.

Big Guy
07-30-2010, 10:38 PM

Thanks!

Hmmmmmm, completely unbiased,.......Hmmmmmmm. Try ESPN. :D

Wei Wu Wei
08-01-2010, 12:22 PM
You're not going to.

Fox is obviously just a ridiculous spectacle, a parody of itself. While Fox is the spearhead of this, there's no doubt that all cable news and network news in America is nothing more than an enormous WWE-style drama full of flash and flaire, lacking substance, and only the dullest of the stupid believe that it's real. However, you don't have to believe in it for it to work.

PBS is good, BBC is garbage but granted they do more interested and in depth investigative reporting than any American station. Al Jazeera English is also extremely good when it comes to quality of journalism (they actually report stories as they are happening without a filter (although on middle east issues there is a bias) ).

Ever notice how you almost never see blood on the news, while almost every other story no doubt contributed to blood-shed?

It's garbage, a fantasy.

Your best bet is to accept American news as just entertainment, like celebrity news in terms of substance.

You're not going to find unbiased political news anywhere, your best bet is to find *QUALITY* news outlets that challenge your own worldviews or that can force you to think about issues in new ways.

Wei Wu Wei
08-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I take in Fox and NPR daily. I can say that Fox is far more likely to present both sides of the issue. This may be due to the less lopsided political mix employed there. NPR tends to down play or totally dismiss the Republican side of an issue.

this is a big problem today. People seem to believe that quality of reporting is an issue of "fairness" (which presupposes that every issue has TWO sides to it) and that a good news station is one that brings in people who disagree with each other, even if nothing of substance is said by either one. CNN has mastered this art of appearing substantial because they are "fair", fox still claims to be fair and balanced because they bring on a goofy liberal guy to shout at for 10 minutes.

Most of the work you'll have to do yourself, always examine the underlying assumptions behind every position or argument.

hampshirebrit
08-01-2010, 01:23 PM
In what world is the BBC even remotely unbiased? :confused:

Not in the UK, that's for sure. Bunch of EU loving lefttards, the Beeb.

hampshirebrit
08-01-2010, 01:26 PM
You're not going to.

Fox is obviously just a ridiculous spectacle, a parody of itself. While Fox is the spearhead of this, there's no doubt that all cable news and network news in America is nothing more than an enormous WWE-style drama full of flash and flaire, lacking substance, and only the dullest of the stupid believe that it's real. However, you don't have to believe in it for it to work.

PBS is good, BBC is garbage but granted they do more interested and in depth investigative reporting than any American station. Al Jazeera English is also extremely good when it comes to quality of journalism (they actually report stories as they are happening without a filter (although on middle east issues there is a bias) ).

Ever notice how you almost never see blood on the news, while almost every other story no doubt contributed to blood-shed?

It's garbage, a fantasy.

Your best bet is to accept American news as just entertainment, like celebrity news in terms of substance.

You're not going to find unbiased political news anywhere, your best bet is to find *QUALITY* news outlets that challenge your own worldviews or that can force you to think about issues in new ways.

I'm inclined to agree with much of this post, especially the news-ertainment aspects, and the advice about finding quality outlets.