PDA

View Full Version : Fully Fed Friday

linda22003
07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm working at home today and making 17 lbs. of Cincinnati Chili for a neighborhood gathering tonight. What foods do you like to make for a crowd?

FlaGator
07-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Spaghetti

djones520
07-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Don't think I've ever cooked for a group of more then 5 or 6 people. But when I'm planning big dinners I'll do Chili usually.

lacarnut
07-30-2010, 09:11 AM
None. I don't cook for crowds. I like to cook a 5 to 7 pound ham with the bone in using cloves basting with a honey, brown sugar and root beer mixture. That will be din din Sunday with my brother and his wife.

Gingersnap
07-30-2010, 09:41 AM
We'll have a high in the mid-80s today but it will be a little hotter for the weekend before calming down nicely.

TOTD: Ribs, chili, 7-layer dip, mummy dogs (Halloween), tamales, potato salad, and frog eye salad. :)

noonwitch
07-30-2010, 10:45 AM
The weather here is perfect today-sunny, upper 70s/low 80s this afternoon. I'm going to visit a baby (I don't have many babies on my caseload, I have mostly teenagers because I can deal with them) out in the country this afternoon, so it's a good day for that.

TOTD: I have a big family Christmas party every year, because I live about halfway between where my sibs live, so that all the cousins can see each other and exchange gifts. I cook a Detroit-style ham, which is a ham soaked overnight in Vernors and roasted slowly in the oven. I also make side dishes- always a spinach pie, brownies/cookies, something involving pasta, and other people bring their side dishes.

Ham is easy and cheap. I never understand why people spend all that money for Honeybaked Hams. I can buy a 10 lb ham at Meijer for around $15-20-they are usually on sale in October, and I buy it and freeze it until Christmas.