PDA

View Full Version : Is Chelsea Clinton Setting a Bad Example?

Gingersnap
07-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Is Chelsea Clinton Setting a Bad Example?
By BRETT ARENDS

I'm constantly amazed at how much some money people blow on the Great White Wedding.

But Chelsea Clinton's forthcoming extravaganza takes the cake. The $11,000 cake, reportedly.

So in honor of this weekend's crazy Gilded Age circus, here are seven financial messages for would-be brides, grooms—and their parents.

1. Yes, the wedding-industrial complex marches on. The Age of Austerity? Ha. If you thought the recession was going to kill the GWW, think again. "We're in a recession-resistant industry," says Carley Roney, editor-in-chief of Knot Inc.'s TheKnot, the weddings website. The company's data suggest that the price of the median wedding, which dropped from $19,000 to $17,500 from 2008 to 2009, has now stabilized this year. Revenues rose 16% in the first quarter of 2010.

2. Spending a fortune on a wedding is a choice, not a necessity. Chelsea's wedding is likely to cost $2 million to $3 million, says Ms. Roney. But first daughter Jenna Bush managed to hold a somewhat quieter affair for a lot less when she got married two years ago. She invited about 200 guests and held the wedding on her parents' ranch in Texas. It was hardly cheap, but at $100,000, the tab wasn't even in the same ballpark.

3. Spend what you can afford. Sure, the Clintons are spending a lot, but they are rich. Their net worth was estimated at $35 million not long ago. Chelsea is their only child. And Bill gets paid about $250,000 a speech. After taxes, that's about $160,000. So he could clear a $3 million tab for Chelsea's big day with 19 speeches. Even at one speech a day, that's three weeks' work. The average family maybe earns $3,000 in three weeks. Yet they spend about $17,500 on a wedding.

More good advice at the link.

WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704532204575397690042132652.html?K EYWORDS=chelsea+clinton)

Articulate_Ape
07-30-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm beginning to get the impression that Bill Clinton no longer feels our pain.

lacarnut
07-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Once politicians get a taste of DC life, none of them feel our pain.

linda22003
07-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Why is this an issue? I might not spend my money the same way, but it's THEIR money. Some people would think my father spent too much almost 25 years ago - a $10,000 wedding for about 55 guests, in 1986.

FlaGator
07-30-2010, 01:00 PM

You base that the assumption that he acutally did feel our pain.

lacarnut
07-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Why is this an issue? I might not spend my money the same way, but it's THEIR money. Some people would think my father spent too much almost 25 years ago - a $10,000 wedding for about 55 guests, in 1986.

Normally it would not be an issue. However, when politicians like the Clintons/Democraps get on their high horse about bashing the rich it kinda smacks of hypocrisy.

JB
07-30-2010, 05:27 PM
What's a shame is that the reception will be mostly Dems. Dems hate spending their own money. I'll be shocked if she gets one card that has more than $50 in it.

Hawkgirl
07-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Don't forget she's a Hedge Fund manager...I'm sure she's bringing home some serious dough as well.

PoliCon
07-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Don't forget she's a Hedge Fund manager...I'm sure she's bringing home some serious dough as well.

ooohhhh so that's how they made the invitations list. . . . I'll bet Hillary will be getting some money out of this as well . . . .

NJCardFan
07-31-2010, 12:16 AM

OK. Fair enough and I don't agree with you per se but wasn't it Bill Clinton who said that he didn't want to cut taxes because the people wouldn't spend their money right?

Gingersnap
07-31-2010, 12:24 AM
OK. Fair enough and I don't agree with you per se but wasn't it Bill Clinton who said that he didn't want to cut taxes because the people wouldn't spend their money right?

I'm with Linda on this. While I think ostentatious weddings are tacky, it's their money and I'm guessing they aren't putting it on plastic.

The point of the article is that normal people who can't draw on parents who are millionaires shouldn't emulate this kind of thing. The so-called "average" price of a typical wedding is absurd. People shouldn't spend this kind of money for a party unless they can cash it out.

Nobody thinks the Clintons are role models. Nobody sane, anyway.

NJCardFan
07-31-2010, 01:27 AM
I'm with Linda on this. While I think ostentatious weddings are tacky, it's their money and I'm guessing they aren't putting it on plastic.

The point of the article is that normal people who can't draw on parents who are millionaires shouldn't emulate this kind of thing. The so-called "average" price of a typical wedding is absurd. People shouldn't spend this kind of money for a party unless they can cash it out.

Nobody thinks the Clintons are role models. Nobody sane, anyway.

But it smacks of hypocrisy. An $11K cake? Really? My entire wedding, both of them combined in fact, didn't total $11K.

JB
07-31-2010, 09:21 AM
But it smacks of hypocrisy. An $11K cake? Really? My entire wedding, both of them combined in fact, didn't total $11K.Making an argument via hypocrisy is plausible but I don't have any problem with them spending $11k on a cake either.

If I got questioned on how I spent my discretionary income, I would tell you to go F yourself. I think any of us would. That was the point.

Phillygirl
07-31-2010, 09:36 AM
I think it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on one day, but it's their money, they get to spend it as they like. I hope the marriage lasts. I can't wait to see the dress. I love Vera Wang's dresses.

JB
07-31-2010, 09:48 AM
I think it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on one day, but it's their money, they get to spend it as they like. I hope the marriage lasts. I can't wait to see the dress. I love Vera Wang's dresses.You said Wang.

djones520
07-31-2010, 09:50 AM
You said Wang.

ROFL.

NJCardFan
07-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Making an argument via hypocrisy is plausible but I don't have any problem with them spending $11k on a cake either.

If I got questioned on how I spent my discretionary income, I would tell you to go F yourself. I think any of us would. That was the point.

Yes but I was never president and I never said that more of your income should be seized because I didn't believe that you wouldn't spend it right.

Phillygirl
07-31-2010, 12:23 PM
You said Wang.

You're in a wedding dress thread. Dude, man up.

JB
07-31-2010, 07:58 PM
You're in a wedding dress thread. Dude, man up.Now, now, the thread wasn't about that. Nice try though.

And what the heck are you doing? You login for one post and then bail. Pull up a chair. We have some real mo-mo's running around the place right now. You'd have fun.

obx
08-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Did Janet Reno give the bride away?
________
Ford cyclone engine specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine)

Phillygirl
08-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Now, now, the thread wasn't about that. Nice try though.

And what the heck are you doing? You login for one post and then bail. Pull up a chair. We have some real mo-mo's running around the place right now. You'd have fun.

We're talking about veils, cakes, gowns, and party favors. Face it. It's a thread for women, gays, and metros.

As for the mo-mo's...ssdd. If they're libs with any brains they don't get to stick around. Kicking retarded puppies isn't my thing...except for sometimes on Thursdays. Maybe I'll see you then.

Odysseus
08-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Did Janet Reno give the bride away?

I'm guessing that she didn't try very hard to catch the bouquet, either. :D

bijou
08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
$11k cake? Unless it looked like Chelsea I'm not impressed.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/curbly_uploads_production/photos/0000/0004/6246/image002.jpg

http://curbly.com/diy-maven/posts/3414-brides-look-a-like-wedding-cake

:D

jediab
08-02-2010, 10:52 AM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/curbly_uploads_production/photos/0000/0004/6246/image002.jpg

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Eat my shorts!"

That cake is really amazing.

Odysseus
08-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Moments later, an awkward silence ensued after the best man cut the cake with wild slashes of the knife while repeatedly screaming "You bitch! I loved you!" at it.

Jumpy
08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
I have no problem with it. They are spending money that they have. Lots of people are making money from the wedding, and will turn around and spend that. Sounds all good to me.

noonwitch
08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
It seems a little pricey to me, but I'm a cheapskate about some things. My sister had a beautiful wedding dress that cost about $350. My maid of honor dress for that wedding cost more, after the alterations. I think my sister's entire wedding cost less than $10,000. She had an open bar, and my dad paid the bar tab at the end of the evening. He won't tell us what it was, he said we'd be embarrassed about how much we drank that night if we knew. :rolleyes:

Lager
08-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Because of the connections made during their respective tenures in the government, the Clintons know without a doubt that they will never be wanting for money. Therefore it's perfectlly logical to blow as much as they want on this wedding.

Odysseus
08-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Because of the connections made during their respective tenures in the government, the Clintons know without a doubt that they will never be wanting for money. Therefore it's perfectlly logical to blow as much as they want on this wedding.

I don't know that the Clintons believe that they will never be wanting for money. The grasping way that they chase each buck indicates some serious fear of poverty, especially for Hillary. Bill seems to be trying to buy respect. Look at all of the scandals of theirs that involved personal gain, they're all on Hillary's side (the cattle futures deal, her brother's pay-for-pardons scam, Whitewater), while Bill's have been for campaign contributions, rather than personal cash transactions (the various fundraising scandals, including the Lincoln Bedroom overnights, the Buddhist temple deal, the Chinese government's contributions to the DNC, etc.,), which shored him up within the party. A gaudy, gauche wedding is typical of arrivistes who are trying to prove that they can conspicuously spend, rather than show taste and good judgement.