PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a coffee name?



bijou
07-30-2010, 12:51 PM
When Shefali Kulkarni, a reporting fellow at the Village Voice in New York City, is asked for her name while ordering coffee at Starbucks, she tells the barista a little fib. She uses "Sheila," her "coffee name."

"I was in line at Starbucks, and they asked for my name," Kulkarni says. "And spelling 'Shefali' just took forever. And I think at one point, somebody in the line in the back of the line was saying, hurry up like, let's go. And it's when it dawned on me. I'm like, 'You know what? Forget this. I'm just going to use a fake name. I can't take this anymore.' So the next time I ordered coffee, the first thing that came to mind was Sheila."


Kulkarni says the name stuck. Then, on a return trip to Starbucks, she noticed that most of the names written on the drinks were like Tom, Sue and Joe other "American" names, she says.

"I noticed the people that were waiting for the drinks didn't really I mean, maybe this is totally racial profiling, but they came across as not Toms or Sues or Joes," she says. "And at one point, this woman picked up a coffee and she said, 'Oh, this is just my coffee name,' and it shook me up. I was like, oh, my God, I'm not the only one."
link (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128828538)

I can appreciate the convenience of this, but I can't understand why anyone would get at all exercised about it. Perhaps I am not sufficiently upscale in my outlook. :D

Articulate_Ape
07-30-2010, 12:57 PM
I think Mike Hunt would make an excellent coffee name.

FlaGator
07-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Amanda Huggenkiss?

Gingersnap
07-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I guess I don't understand why anyone would need a "coffee name". Why does the cashier need your name at all? This is a one minute retail transaction, not eHarmony. What am I missing? :confused:

Articulate_Ape
07-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I guess I don't understand why anyone would need a "coffee name". Why does the cashier need your name at all? This is a one minute retail transaction, not eHarmony. What am I missing? :confused:

I guess they think it is more friendly than assigning you a number for your order.

obx
07-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Dick Hurtz. I use to write this on the attendance sheet when we would have substitute teachers. I loved it when they said, "Whose Dick Hurtz?"
________
Subaru 1000 (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Subaru_1000)

asdf2231
07-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Geezus H Christ on a pogo stick.

Yeah getting the Barista to yell out a pretty fucked up racial perjorative would be an absolute fucking har dee har. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
07-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Just for fun I would like to use "Uppity N****r." I would like to see some clerk yell that out in public.

If I went to this uppity place in the first place, mine would be fuck me. That ought to kill the name game.

Speedy
07-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Geezus H Christ on a pogo stick.

Yeah getting the Barista to yell out a pretty fucked up racial perjorative would be an absolute fucking har dee har. :rolleyes:

Just think of all the swooning pantywaists dropping their coffees or choking on them.

Jeez, it is just a joke. Nothing more, like the one about the mule, the farmers daughter and African American gentleman.

Constitutionally Speaking
07-30-2010, 02:37 PM
I think Mike Hunt would make an excellent coffee name.


Don't laugh, the next Governor of Michigan might well be Mike Cox! :D

asdf2231
07-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Just think of all the swooning pantywaists dropping their coffees or choking on them.

Jeez, it is just a joke. Nothing more, like the one about the mule, the farmers daughter and African American gentleman.


Adios Muchacho.

FlaGator
07-30-2010, 02:42 PM
deleted, off topic, racist nonsense.

Do you just want to see have far you can go before I delete your posts?

Speedy
07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Do you just want to see have far you can go before I delete your posts?

Not really. I thought that was kind of tame, but I will take your warning to heart and tone it down.

FlaGator
07-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Not really. I thought that was kind of tame, but I will take your warning to heart and tone it down.

I do not like deleting posts. Please just think about the content of what you write and the context you are posting in before you click the submit button and we won't have these issues. 90 percent of your stuff is great, but that remaining 10 percent is just way over the top.