PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

jendf
07-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Have we done one of these threads lately? I looked but couldn't find one.

What are you reading right now? What do you want to read?

Do you have a Kindle? Is it any good?

I guess I'm old-fashioned since I like books with covers and pages and stuff. :p

I'm currently reading Private by James Patterson. I don't know why, but I've been on a Patterson kick as of late. I just finished the first book in his "Women's Murder Club" series, 1st To Die.

JB
07-30-2010, 05:12 PM
What are you reading right now?This thread.
What do you want to read?A different thread.

Jfor
07-30-2010, 05:14 PM
I have Droid X and installed the Kindle app. I love the fact that I can have a ton of books on there. Currently I have been on a Zombie kick. Last two "real" books I read were "Day by Day Armageddon" by J.L. Bourne and the followup, "Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile. J.L. Bourne is active duty military and both his books are great. Especially if you like zombie stuff.

Speedy
07-30-2010, 05:18 PM
If a thread like this gets posted around the end of November, I want everyone to be reading this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/all.jpg

Jfor
07-30-2010, 05:20 PM
If a thread like this gets posted around the end of November, I want everyone to be reading this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/all.jpg

Guarantee you I will read it! Especially if it is released for the kindle!

jendf
07-30-2010, 05:25 PM
I have Droid X and installed the Kindle app. I love the fact that I can have a ton of books on there. Currently I have been on a Zombie kick. Last two "real" books I read were "Day by Day Armageddon" by J.L. Bourne and the followup, "Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile. J.L. Bourne is active duty military and both his books are great. Especially if you like zombie stuff.

Never thought about reading a book about zombies. I checked out the description on Amazon and it does sound intriguing. I might have to try it.

It would certainly be a first for me.

Jfor
07-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Never thought about reading a book about zombies. I checked out the description on Amazon and it does sound intriguing. I might have to try it.

It would certainly be a first for me.

It really is a good book. I think that there is, or used to be a couple of chapters available on google books or something like that. That is actually how I found it.

Gingersnap
07-30-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm reading the The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits by Rosemary Guiley but I'm only on the Bs. Very interesting.

I want the Kindle with wifi. One of my friends has one and it's awesome.

Articulate_Ape
07-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm reading A Time to Die by Wilbur Smith

Jfor
07-30-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm reading the The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits by Rosemary Guiley but I'm only on the Bs. Very interesting.

I want the Kindle with wifi. One of my friends has one and it's awesome.

I wanted a Kindle bad myself. I was was up for an upgrade with Verizon and was able to get the Droid X for 99 bucks and that was a better deal for me than buying a Kindle. Not like I needed another electronic device to carry with me :)

Hawkgirl
07-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Not reading anything at the moment...but a friend of mine has the Nook and she loves...similar to the Kindle, but it's connected with Barnes & Noble.

djones520
07-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Right now I'm in the middle of John Adams by David McCullough and Shadow Steed by Richard A. Knaak.

LibraryLady
07-30-2010, 06:48 PM
My recent reads were:

Unlikely Disciple - LOVED it

The Help - HATED it

Come With Me from Lebanon: An American Family Odyssey

The Year of Living Biblically

Quiet Diplomacy: From Cairo to Tokyo in the Twilight of Imperialism

I'm Proud of You: Life Lessons from My Friend Fred Rogers
(Get this for everyone you know!!)

I don't know if I am back; just couldn't resist a book thread. Everyone, appreciate your vision - I am recovering from optic neuritis and have been unable to read or drive.

SarasotaRepub
07-30-2010, 07:11 PM
My recent reads were:

The Help - HATED it

I don't know if I am back; just couldn't resist a book thread. Everyone, appreciate your vision - I am recovering from optic neuritis and have been unable to read or drive.

Welcome back! :)

I'm just starting to put a dent in Dan Browns The Lost Symbol.

jendf
07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
My recent reads were:

The Help - HATED it

Hey, stranger! :)

I was going back and forth on whether or not to read The Help. It has been featured a lot in my library's e-newsletter.

What didn't you like about it?

patriot45
07-30-2010, 09:46 PM
My recent reads were:

The Help - HATED it

Hi LL! I just reread all the repairman Jack books by F. Paul Wilson, I stopped at By The Sword. I am ready for the next book and need to read the Early Years series about Jack!

Big Guy
07-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Currently reading The Art of War(Sun Tzu) for the second time.

Recently finished Beyond the Band of Brothers and Masters of Chaos.

Don't reallly know what I'm reading next.

I like to turn pages, no digital books for me.

jendf
08-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Finished Private. Pretty good. I'm kind of starting to get back into Patterson's stuff, I guess. I used to hate it.

Now I'm reading Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin. Chick lit for the win!

warpig
08-06-2010, 07:06 PM
"Propaganda" by Edward Bernays

Written in 1928 by one of the men who helped organize the PR effort for WWI. It is a good look ito how Madison Ave. tries and is sucessful at manipulating public opnion.

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Gibbons decline and fall of the roman empire, Calvin's institutes volume 1, JPS tanakh.

Articulate_Ape
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
JPS tanakh.

Kudos.

malloc
08-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Currently I'm reading:

Fiction: War of the Flowers by Tad Williams. I'm having trouble getting into this book, in the beginning the main character's wife loses a baby, she leaves him, and then his mother dies of cancer. Too much sadness, especially considering my wife and I recently went through the same thing. So I put this one down for a while.

Non-Fiction: Data Structures + Algorithms = Programs. I'm reading it for the 3rd time in preparation for a software product I'm about to put together, and hopefully build a business around. This book was given to me by our software architect and he swears by, and now so do I. It is hands down the best book to get you really thinking about software internals, even if you are working in a much higher level language.

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Kudos.
The most beautiful English translation of the Jewish scripture ever!

Articulate_Ape
08-06-2010, 07:20 PM
The most beautiful English translation of the Jewish scripture ever!

It's fascinating to see the subtle and not so subtle differences from the "old testament", no?

Gingersnap
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Now I'm reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's better than people said it was and people raved about this book. :)

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
It's fascinating to see the subtle and not so subtle differences from the "old testament", no?

I don't think Christian translations put the effort into bringing out the poetic beauty of Hebrew scripture. The closest I have come is The New Jerusalem translation done by Jesuit scholars, both old and new are well done.

Articulate_Ape
08-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't think Christian translations put the effort into bringing out the poetic beauty of Hebrew scripture. The closest I have come is The New Jerusalem translation done by Jesuit scholars, both old and new are well done.

Yes.

RobJohnson
08-07-2010, 04:03 AM
I have a few new books but have not read one in almost a year it seems like.

NJCardFan
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
I just finished reading Setting the Record Straight: American History in Black & White by David Burton. A great book and a real eye opener.

Big Guy
08-07-2010, 12:45 PM
I think I'm going to read "The Road To Surfdom" next. Any book that would get you locked up in a Commie country sounds like good reading to me.

fettpett
08-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Right now I'm in the middle of John Adams by David McCullough and Shadow Steed by Richard A. Knaak.

You can actually read something by Knaak? more power to you...i started reading Stromrage, haven't been able to keep reading it, also heard a lot of bad things about his writing style...though maybe his own creations are better than his WoW ones.

I'm currently reading A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin 3rd in the Fire and Ice series

and the Warcraft comics.

you can use the e-reader software on your laptop, I use Mobipocket reader for ebooks and ComicRack for comics.

RobJohnson
08-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I have a lot of reading to do, work related stuff. I have 12 hours of CE due by October for my state license. Most of it can be done online. Then next Spring I have 21 hours of CE for my national certification. Good times!

Troll
08-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I think I'm going to read "The Road To Surfdom" next. Any book that would get you locked up in a Commie country sounds like good reading to me.

I'm reading that now. Little slow at times, but very interesting and highly relevant.

I'm reading World War Z also.

I plan on reading Democracy in America when I wrap those up.

warpig
08-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Anybody ever read anything by Antony C. Sutton? I've got "The Best Enemy Money Can Buy" and it is interesting from the standpoint that he lists documentation for his claims. I am just wondering is he's a conspiricy nut or what? In the book he shows how he thinks the US and other countries helped arm and sustain the USSR during the Cold War.

PoliCon
08-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Dresden files - Death Mask by Jim Butcher. Good stuff.

Shannon
08-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Have we done one of these threads lately? I looked but couldn't find one.

What are you reading right now? What do you want to read?

Do you have a Kindle? Is it any good?

I guess I'm old-fashioned since I like books with covers and pages and stuff. :p

I'm currently reading Private by James Patterson. I don't know why, but I've been on a Patterson kick as of late. I just finished the first book in his "Women's Murder Club" series, 1st To Die.

I am so over Patterson. I used to read the Cross books but can't even do that anymore. I got about halfway through 1st to Die. Horrible.

linda22003
08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I just finished Ben McIntyre's highly entertaining "Operation Mincemeat", the real story of "The Man Who Never Was". The Brits managed to fool the Nazis as to where the European invasion would take place by using a corpse and a briefcase of falsified information... and it worked. :)

FlaGator
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Righ now it is The Christian Atheist (http://christianatheist.com/)by Craig Groeschel. The next one I haven't decided on just yet.

jendf
08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
I am so over Patterson. I used to read the Cross books but can't even do that anymore. I got about halfway through 1st to Die. Horrible.

So are you reading anyone new?

jendf
08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Righ now it is The Christian Atheist (http://christianatheist.com/)by Craig Groeschel. The next one I haven't decided on just yet.

I've browsed through that one at the bookstore before. How are you liking it?

FlaGator
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
I've browsed through that one at the bookstore before. How are you liking it?

It's very good. Pick it up, I think you like it. It reads very quickly and doesn't use a lot of theological jargon.

obx
08-10-2010, 01:32 PM
"Greek Fire, Poison Arrows & Scorpion Bombs- Biological and Chemical Warfare in the Ancient World" by Adrienne Mayor. Very good. My wife found it for me in a thrift store.
________
Ultimate fighters (http://ultimatefighters.org/)

djones520
08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Finished "John Adams" about a week ago. Read "The Dragon Crown" by Richard Knaak, and just picked up "Rise of Nagash" last night from a free book wrack.

noonwitch
08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Now I'm reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's better than people said it was and people raved about this book. :)

I've heard really good things about it, it's on my list.

I'm currently reading The Prophetic Imagination by Walter Brueggeman. I just started it, though. I finished the Eric Metaxas bio of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, which was a very good read. Metaxas has a great writing style, and his sarcasm about the nazis and Hitler is amusing. The book reads as easily as a novel, yet the author manages to fit all the necessary details in.

jendf
09-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I picked up The Wild Zone by Joy Fielding from the library's new book shelf. Never read her before. Based on what I've read so far (about 90 pages into it), Ms. Fielding really, really hates men. All of the male characters are either evil, chauvinist, abusive, dumb, or a combination of all of those. Still, it has good pacing and I expect to have it read by the end of the week.

Gingersnap
09-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Right now I'm about 100 pages into Under the Dome by King. So far, so good. ;)

Bubba Dawg
09-09-2010, 07:13 PM
I just got Shock Troops of the Confederacy: The Sharpshooter Battalions of the Army of Northern Virginia. by Fred L. Ray.

I plan to read it on vacation which starts tomorrow afternoon!!!!!

http://www.cfspress.com/sharpshooters/

http://www.cfspress.com/sharpshooters/Cover/ShockTroops-Cover.jpg

patriot45
09-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Ughhhh! Want me to tell you the ending!?

:D

Shannon
09-10-2010, 07:49 AM

I refuse fo read it until I get an opinion on it from someone other than DS. He still likes all of King's books. Lately I prefer his son's books to his. I didn't even read Dumas Key.

noonwitch
09-10-2010, 08:36 AM
I refuse fo read it until I get an opinion on it from someone other than DS. He still likes all of King's books. Lately I prefer his son's books to his. I didn't even read Dumas Key.

I haven't read a King book in years. I'm not even sure what the last one I read was. Maybe Gerald's Game.

Ginger is totally right about The Passage, though. I started reading it when I got back from my weekend visit to Grandpa, and I can't put it down except to go to work. It's a long book, and I'm almost halfway through it.

Shannon
09-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I haven't read a King book in years. I'm not even sure what the last one I read was. Maybe Gerald's Game.

Ginger is totally right about The Passage, though. I started reading it when I got back from my weekend visit to Grandpa, and I can't put it down except to go to work. It's a long book, and I'm almost halfway through it.

Alright. I've heard of this book and was told it was great before. I will pick it up tomorrow.

Gingersnap
09-10-2010, 09:40 AM

Nobody read Duma Key as far as I can tell. King has always been erratic. So far, this one looks like vintage-style King.

Shannon
09-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Nobody read Duma Key as far as I can tell.

Oh shut up. Clearly I didn't care enough about it to spell it correctly, Linda.:p

jendf
09-10-2010, 09:53 AM

I'm intrigued by that one now. I may be have to check the library for it. Thanks!

Gingersnap
09-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm intrigued by that one now. I may be have to check the library for it. Thanks!

It's excellent. This is the first in a trilogy so we have more to savor in the future. :)

jendf
09-29-2010, 04:44 PM
So Wild Zone was hands down one of the most retarded books I've read in a long time. How is it possible that Joy Fielding has so many published books?

I started realizing about half way into it that nothing was going to happen but, like a schmuck, I kept reading and the ending just left me asking out loud, "WTF?"

Seriously, I want my wasted time back that I spent reading it.

The upside is I have two (hopefully better) books on hold for me at the library: Naked Heat by Richard Castle (tie-in to my favorite TV show) and Postcard Killers (James Patterson's latest).

At the moment, I'm working through a short story anthology called Thriller 2. Some pretty good stories in there. A couple have really stuck with me long after reading. I love it when that happens.

Gingersnap
09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm reading Under the Dome (still) because I was distracted by The Living Dead 2 by John Joseph Adams (ed).

bijou
09-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I've just finished The Whisperer (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7654665-the-whisperer) by Donato Carissi it was excellent.

jendf
09-29-2010, 05:08 PM
I've just finished The Whisperer (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7654665-the-whisperer) by Donato Carissi it was excellent.

Ooh, that sounds like a good one. Thanks!

FeebMaster
09-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I just finished Dave Mustaine's autobiography. It's a miracle that guy is still alive.

Dresden files - Death Mask by Jim Butcher. Good stuff.

Good call. I love those.

Troll
09-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Badass by Ben Thompson - I needed a bit of light reading on the way to Europe and back.

If you can get past the author's juvenile writing style (lots of pulling spinal columns out of urethrae, etc), there's actually some really good information in it.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ajs7kj.jpg

Anything with screaming Vikings on it gets my attention.

When I'm done with this one, I'll get back to Democracy in America.

RobJohnson
09-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Today a customer handed me an obituary to read.

Her husband passed away on her birthday.

He was 38.

The rest of my day was shot, I felt so bad for her. :mad:

Death is part of my job, but the seeing the young ones leave early is still hard on me.

Hawkgirl
09-29-2010, 10:26 PM
lucky by Alice Sebold....just into the first 5 pages...I'm hooked.

noonwitch
09-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I just finished Dave Mustaine's autobiography. It's a miracle that guy is still alive.

Good call. I love those.

Is he still really bitter at Metallica for firing him?

FeebMaster
09-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Is he still really bitter at Metallica for firing him?

Not as much. He seems to have more of a 'meh that's life' attitude about it now that he's found Jesus.

There was an entertaining anecdote of him writing some song for a movie though:

The movie rolls along, and I'm watching it less for entertainment than inspiration - an odd sensation to be sure.

"Right here," someone says. "This is where we need you."

I lean forward in my seat. Talk about a long, strange, remarkable trip. How on earth did I get here?

Suddenly my attention is diverted. Music floods the screening room, overwhelming the dialogue on-screen - or maybe it just seems that way to me, because I recognize it instantly. They call it a "placeholder" in the movie business, music that will never make it onto the score or soundtrack but is intended to merely fill a spot, to give the actual composer an idea of what is needed. It serves as both inspiration and guidance.

Or, in my case, annoyance.

I turn to my assistant manager, Isaac. Neither of us says a word. But I can tell we're thinking the same thing:

Metallica? Are you fucking kidding me?!

Isaac has worked with me for a few years now, long enough to know that nothing is more likely to trigger a Mustaine meltdown than an unexpected dose of Metallica. And this is about as unexpected as it could be.

Hear that, Dave? That's what we're after! Something that sounds like Metallica but isn't Metallica. Can you do that? Please?

I let my head hang for a moment, and then I smile. And Isaac smiles. And then we begin to laugh. Sometimes the world is too perverse to be met with anything other than a sense of humor. I realize at this very moment that it'll never end.

It will never... fucking... end.

Someday they'll be lowering my casket into the ground, and they'll be ready to play me off one last time ("A Tout le Monde" would be great), and someone will have left a Metallica disc in the CD player.