PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

Big Guy
07-30-2010, 09:25 PM
I have a small process service and law enforcement consulting business that brings in about $5,000 a month. I operate out of my home with very little over head. My Krav Maga instructor has approached me with an idea to merge and start a personal protection academy. I would be The majority owner with 60%.
He currently has around 30 students at $75.00 a month each.

We would need a building with about 3500 to 5000 square feet to operate this.

There are some pretty business savvy people here so, what do you think?

Gingersnap
07-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Let's talk about what's in it for him first. ;)

Jfor
07-30-2010, 09:34 PM
I have a small process service and law enforcement consulting business that brings in about $5,000 a month. I operate out of my home with very little over head. My Krav Maga instructor has approached me with an idea to merge and start a personal protection academy. I would be The majority owner with 60%.
He currently has around 30 students at $75.00 a month each.

We would need a building with about 3500 to 5000 square feet to operate this.

There are some pretty business savvy people here so, what do you think?

I wish there was a Krav Maga instructor in Huntsville, AL. It sounds like it might be a good deal possibly.

Big Guy
07-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Let's talk about what's in it for him first. ;)

He gets more access to the local Law Enforcement community (through me). I forgot to mention that I also teach and certify Police in the use of Chemical agents (Pepper Spray), Specialty Impact Munitions (Rubber Bullets and bean Bags) and Diversionary Devises (Flash Bang Grenades). I am also a Taser instructor.

Big Guy
07-30-2010, 09:36 PM
I wish there was a Krav Maga instructor in Huntsville, AL. It sounds like it might be a good deal possibly.

There may be, just look around. There is a school in Nashville, just a few hours drive.

SarasotaRepub
07-30-2010, 09:38 PM
He gets more access to the local Law Enforcement community (through me). I forgot to mention that I also teach and certify Police in the use of Chemical agents (Pepper Spray), Specialty Impact Munitions (Rubber Bullets and bean Bags) and Diversionary Devises (Flash Bang Grenades). I am also a Taser instructor.

Oh dear god, you should join DU and slip that info in...their heads would explode!!! :cool::D

Big Guy
07-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Oh dear god, you should join DU and slip that info in...their heads would explode!!! :cool::D

That would be fun, wouldnt it? :D

Articulate_Ape
07-30-2010, 09:45 PM
At first glance, I would say that liability insurance might be an added expense that your consulting business probably pays relatively little on now. Assuming your business is doing well, sans overhead, are you sure that you want to take on that added cost? Running a MA school also leaves you slave to the dedication of the teacher(s) to the enterprise. Krav Maga instructors aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

Just my first read.

Big Guy
07-30-2010, 09:49 PM
At first glance, I would say that liability insurance might be an added expense that your consulting business probably pays relatively little on now. Assuming your business is doing well, sans overhead, are you sure that you want to take on that added cost? Running a MA school also leaves you slave to the dedication of the teacher(s) to the enterprise. Krav Maga instructors aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

Just my first read.

This is true, he is the only one within 50 miles. He recently got out of the Army (5th Special Forces Group) and he also teaches at a local community College.

Jfor
07-30-2010, 10:45 PM
There may be, just look around. There is a school in Nashville, just a few hours drive.

There's not. Closest one I found from Krav Maga's website is Nashville lol... Maybe one day we will get somebody down here. In the meantime, I am gonna order a book and maybe search for some videos online.

Big Guy
07-30-2010, 10:56 PM
There's not. Closest one I found from Krav Maga's website is Nashville lol... Maybe one day we will get somebody down here. In the meantime, I am gonna order a book and maybe search for some videos online.

You would be better off driving to Nashville one day a week. But if that isnt possible, do what you can. Krav hurts and I like it. :D

Jfor
07-30-2010, 11:21 PM
You would be better off driving to Nashville one day a week. But if that isnt possible, do what you can. Krav hurts and I like it. :D

I wish I was able to do that :( It has been something that has interested me for a while. Just kept waiting for it to come to Alabama.

Big Guy
07-30-2010, 11:28 PM
I wish I was able to do that :( It has been something that has interested me for a while. Just kept waiting for it to come to Alabama.

Krav is expanding, I bet someone from The Arsenal is qualified just hasnt started a school.