PDA

View Full Version : GOP seizes on immigration memo

warpig
07-30-2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/40475.html

Republicans are seizing on an internal memo they say is further evidence the Obama administration wants to bypass a gridlocked Congress and use its executive powers to grant “back-door amnesty” to thousands of illegal immigrants.

But administration officials tried to downplay the significance of the draft memo Friday, reiterating that they have no plans to grant permanent residency to the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants living in the U.S.

Written by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officials to the agency’s director, the memo discusses ways the administration – facing the reality that immigration reform is all but dead this year – could grant illegal immigrants permanent status, including indefinitely delaying deportation or issuing green cards.

Mike Honcho
07-31-2010, 01:14 AM
I saw a Harry Reid video the other day and he touched on the illegals. He said they "need to get right" with the law. I took that to mean they (Dems) want them legalized NOT deported.

Rockntractor
07-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Undocumented Democrats.

Mike Honcho
07-31-2010, 01:23 AM
Undocumented Democrats.

Yes they are

warpig
07-31-2010, 01:54 AM
This administration is setting up to do an end run around Congress to legalize these people. Again with ignoring the will of the people.

NJCardFan
07-31-2010, 01:59 AM
Undocumented Democrats.

More undocumented Democrats:
http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/10d-16/congressional-cemetary-tombstones.jpg

Satanicus
07-31-2010, 07:24 AM
This administration is setting up to do an end run around Congress .

Just like Bush did with the tax cuts.

djones520
07-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Just like Bush did with the tax cuts.

And your reasoning for that is???

Satanicus
07-31-2010, 07:44 AM
And your reasoning for that is???

The tax cuts were passed by reconciliation.

djones520
07-31-2010, 07:57 AM

And that by passes Congress how?

Satanicus
07-31-2010, 08:11 AM
And that by passes Congress how?

Ask the GOP , they kept repeating the same thing about reconciliation , saying it was 'end run around congress'

djones520
07-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Ask the GOP , they kept repeating the same thing about reconciliation , saying it was 'end run around congress'

Well there is a big differance between the Health Care bill and Tax Cuts.

Satanicus
07-31-2010, 08:16 AM
Well there is a big differance between the Health Care bill and Tax Cuts.

But the process is EXACTLY the same.

The GOP called it an 'end run around congress'

And ...there is a big difference, you are right , the tax cuts cost 2.5 trillion dollars , and the HC bill is 1 trillion , and is mostly paid for by offsets.

lacarnut
07-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Most legislation is passed by reconciliation. After both sides pass their version of a bill, they come together to form one bill which is called a reconciliation bill which is then sent to the President. The name Stupidicus suits you well.

Satanicus
07-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Most legislation is passed by reconciliation. After both sides pass their version of a bill, they come together to form one bill which is called a reconciliation bill which is then sent to the President. The name Stupidicus suits you well.

OMG , oh no you didn't.

The term you are looking for is when a bill gets reconciled in committee , when two bills get merged by the house and senate

The term reconciliation is when a bill is passed by 51 votes in the senate.

djones520
07-31-2010, 08:37 AM
But the process is EXACTLY the same.

The GOP called it an 'end run around congress'

And ...there is a big difference, you are right , the tax cuts cost 2.5 trillion dollars , and the HC bill is 1 trillion , and is mostly paid for by offsets.

Tax cuts didn't cost a penny dumb ass. You have this problem with understanding the concept. You lose money when you SPEND it.

And the tax cuts led to increased revenue. It's been shown to you time and again. Federal revenue increased with the passed tax cuts.

Satanicus
07-31-2010, 08:42 AM
And the tax cuts led to increased revenue. It's been shown to you time and again. Federal revenue increased with the passed tax cuts.

Yep, revenue DID increase , but the cuts NEVER even came close to generating enough revenue to offset the cost of the cuts.

Studies by the Congressional Budget Office, the Joint Committee on Taxation, and the Administration itself show that tax cuts do not come anywhere close to paying for themselves over the long term. CBO and Joint Tax Committee studies find that, if financed by government borrowing, tax cuts are more likely to harm than to help the economy over the long run, and consequently would cost more than conventional estimates indicate, rather than less. http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=165

djones520
07-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Yep, revenue DID increase , but the cuts NEVER even came close to generating enough revenue to offset the cost of the cuts.

Studies by the Congressional Budget Office, the Joint Committee on Taxation, and the Administration itself show that tax cuts do not come anywhere close to paying for themselves over the long term. CBO and Joint Tax Committee studies find that, if financed by government borrowing, tax cuts are more likely to harm than to help the economy over the long run, and consequently would cost more than conventional estimates indicate, rather than less. http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=165

And as has been explained to you before, you DON'T SPEND MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE. I know it's hard concept for you to understand. We know your IQ is only about 70. But thats the truth of the matter.

Satanicus
07-31-2010, 08:50 AM
And as has been explained to you before, you DON'T SPEND MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE. I know it's hard concept for you to understand. We know your IQ is only about 70. But thats the truth of the matter.

But Reagan and both Bushs spent like crazy , and there was never any kind of revolt by the party.

Do you agree with the statement below ?

When a tax cut isn't offset by cutting spending , it ends up on the national debt.

djones520
07-31-2010, 08:51 AM
And you still have not explained how using executive powers to bypass congress is the same as a reconciliation vote.

I won't hold my breath though. I know you'll never be able too.

Satanicus
07-31-2010, 10:16 AM
And you still have not explained how using executive powers to bypass congress is the same as a reconciliation vote.

I won't hold my breath though. I know you'll never be able too.

An executive order , that goes around congress , Bush is guilty of that many many times , and the GOP supported it.

Happy now ?

Now , since I have you trapped in a question , I predict you DON'T answer it , Give it a try , I double dare you...

When a tax cut isn't offset by cutting spending , it ends up on the national debt.

warpig
07-31-2010, 11:13 AM

Which is what is pissing us off about the Congress period, both sides of the asile. Here's a song that really describes you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-vXEJrU9i0

Satanicus
07-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Which is what is pissing us off about the Congress period, both sides of the asile. Here's a song that really describes you

Well , maybe you can explain it to Djones520 , because he thinks massive tax cuts that ARE NOT offset by spending cuts doesn't add to the debt. Boehners office will tell you the same thing.

Of course he also believes that losing 1000 jobs a month is worse than losing 700,000 jobs a month.

asdf2231
07-31-2010, 11:53 AM
But Reagan and both Bushs spent like crazy , and there was never any kind of revolt by the party.

Do you agree with the statement below ?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r36/jgm1976/shark_derp_durr_hurr.jpg.