PDA

View Full Version : Another Democrat, Maxine Waters, faces ethics charges

swirling_vortex
07-31-2010, 09:33 AM
WASHINGTON — Representative Maxine Waters, Democrat of California, will face charges of misusing her office and is expected to contest the claims in a House trial, the second powerful House Democrat to opt for such a public airing in recent days, Congressional officials said Friday.

A House ethics subcommittee has charged Ms. Waters, 71, a 10-term congresswoman, in a case involving communications that she had with the top executive of a bank that her husband owned stock in while it was applying for a federal bailout in 2008, two House officials said.

Charges are expected to be announced next week, several Congressional officials said, speaking only on the condition of anonymity because the proceedings remained confidential. Details of the specific accusations of wrongdoing were not available Friday evening.

The expected trial, coming just after the start of a similar proceeding on Thursday for Representative Charles B. Rangel of New York, would be a modern-day precedent for the House, Congressional officials said. At no time in at least the last two decades have two sitting House members faced a public hearing detailing allegations against them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/31/us/politics/31waters.html?src=mv

"The American people voted to restore integrity and honesty in Washington, D.C., and the Democrats intend to lead the most honest, most open and most ethical Congress in history." --Nancy Pelosi

JB
07-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Rangel and now Waters? Racism outrage in 3, 2, 1...

They need to grab up Frank and Dodd to counterbalance.

lacarnut
07-31-2010, 10:07 AM
It could not happen to a more deserving racist bitch.

NJCardFan
07-31-2010, 10:26 AM
I hope this woman dies of festering boils at some time. She's a race baiter who protects cop killers. She actually wrote a letter to Castro asking him to not extradite Joanne Chesimard who murdered Trooper Werner Foerster in NJ.

In an open letter to Castro, chair of the Congressional Black Caucus Representative Maxine Waters of California later explained that many members of the Caucus (including herself) were against Shakur's extradition but had mistakenly voted for the bill, which was placed on the accelerated suspension calendar, generally reserved for non-controversial legislation.[205] In the letter, Waters explained her opposition, calling COINTELPRO "illegal, clandestine political persecution" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assata_Shakur#Extradition_attempts

Odysseus
07-31-2010, 11:44 AM
It could not happen to a more deserving racist bitch.

Agreed. She actually came out in favor of the Rodney King rioters, despite the massive body count, calling it a "legitimate uprising." I thought that she should have been expelled for encouraging sedition, but financial and other improprieties tend to go hand in hand with a total lack of respect for the authority of the United States.

Apocalypse
07-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Why the very public trials this close to Nov.? One would think the Dims would want this out of the spotlight.

Odysseus
07-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Why the very public trials this close to Nov.? One would think the Dims would want this out of the spotlight.

One of two ideas, I suspect:

They will spin it as proof that they are actually doing something about it. Then the verdicts will be set aside after the elections.
or
They are remembering that Clinton's poll numbers rose during his impeachment trial and expect the same thing to happen here.

Chuck58
07-31-2010, 12:36 PM

I have a hunch. It's just a hunch, but the Rangel, Waters things make me suspicious.

If the Repubs recapture Congress, or even one House, they can at the least stop the anointed one's agenda.

If, though, in the two remaining years of the magic negro's administration, the economy doesn't come back or things don't improve noticeably, the dems will go into 2012 pointing to the Republicans as being the reason. And, considering the American voters short attention span and shorter memory, such finger pointing would have an effect.

PoliCon
07-31-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/31/us/politics/31waters.html?src=mv

"The American people voted to restore integrity and honesty in Washington, D.C., and the Democrats intend to lead the most honest, most open and most ethical Congress in history." --Nancy Pelosi

Now all they need is get that cow Sheila Jackson Lee for a perfect trifecta :) Or can we count Cold Cash Jefferson towards the trifecta?

PoliCon
07-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Rangel and now Waters? Racism outrage in 3, 2, 1...

They need to grab up Frank and Dodd to counterbalance.

Don't forget Cold Cash Jefferson . . . .

PoliCon
07-31-2010, 02:04 PM

true. that aspect does stink . . . .

lacarnut
07-31-2010, 02:46 PM

I am sure they do. However, you have to look into the minds of previous politicians like Clinton, Traficant, etc. that have gotten their hands caught in the cookie jar. They honest to God do not think that they have done anything wrong. That bending a few rules here and there is a minute infraction for all the wonderful things that they have done for the little people.:rolleyes: If that is not insanity, I don't know what is.

swirling_vortex
07-31-2010, 11:38 PM
I have a hunch. It's just a hunch, but the Rangel, Waters things make me suspicious.

If the Repubs recapture Congress, or even one House, they can at the least stop the anointed one's agenda.

If, though, in the two remaining years of the magic negro's administration, the economy doesn't come back or things don't improve noticeably, the dems will go into 2012 pointing to the Republicans as being the reason. And, considering the American voters short attention span and shorter memory, such finger pointing would have an effect.
Another thing the Republican party needs to do is actually be a party of ideas, be the base where conservatives can actually feel comfortable about electing people that will represent them. My fear is that the GOP is banking on being a strictly anti-Democrat platform only and not being a pro-conservative platform. That may work for a short while, but if you don't innovate, then the American people will treat Republicans as nothing more than a counter-balance against a Democratic majority. In other words, they'll view the GOP as throwing in a couple more no votes, but liberal ideas will still be viewed more favorably. That's personally my fear because if it does come true, then conservatism becomes no longer feasible and will be just something that is given lip service to.

lacarnut
08-02-2010, 02:32 PM
The expected trial, coming just after the start of a similar proceeding on Thursday for Representative Charles B. Rangel of New York, would be a modern-day precedent for the House, Congressional officials said. At no time in at least the last two decades have two sitting House members faced a public hearing detailing allegations against them.

Let me splain why these two birds trials are happening now. Democrats know that they will lose the House in Nov. Repubs only need to pick up about 40 seats. They will double or triple that amount. Old Charlie would get expelled for sure. Waters would get censured. The Repubs would turn the 2 separate trial into a circus event. So, the Democrats want to get this over before the election. It is a win win proposition for the Repubs.

Odysseus
08-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Let me splain why these two birds trials are happening now. Democrats know that they will lose the House in Nov. Repubs only need to pick up about 40 seats. They will double or triple that amount. Old Charlie would get expelled for sure. Waters would get censured. The Repubs would turn the 2 separate trial into a circus event. So, the Democrats want to get this over before the election. It is a win win proposition for the Repubs.

Good points. The funny thing is that Rangel is already playing the race card. Does that mean that he considers Pelosi a racist? Or is he blaming this on house Republicans?

AmPat
08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I wonder if Pee-Lousy had this in mind when she was hawking the "drain the swamp" meme?

Odysseus
08-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I wonder if Pee-Lousy had this in mind when she was hawking the "drain the swamp" meme?

I did the math in another thread, and it's obvious that members of the Congressional Black Caucus run afoul of the ethics rules at a higher rate than the rest of the membership. Clearly, Pelosi is indulging in racial profiling of congress. Where is the NAACP? The ACLU? The DOJ?

No Justice! No Peace!

Attica! Attica!

This is Spartaaaaa!!!!! :D