PDA

View Full Version : Well, the coup díetat is over, and they won. (Chris Hedges)

SarasotaRepub
08-04-2010, 08:21 PM
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8869989)

kpete http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/donor.gif (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-03-10 10:37 AM
Original message Well, the coup díetat is over, and they won. (Chris Hedges)

Chris Hedges: "We have to stop believing that we can effect change through established political or social organizations or electoral politics, and I think that still remains a huge hurdle for us people who in the end, through accommodation of fear and very clever advertising, are herded like sheep into a dysfunctional system, which is how so many people who should have known better voted for Obama. The environmental crisis that we're about to face will be even more catastrophic than the economic, and we have to, on a personal level, reconsider how we relate to the society at large and to the ecosystem. We have both personal and social decisions to make. At this point most people are not willing to make those choices or take those steps."

Well, the coup díetat is over, and they won. We lost. And now we have to learn to cope with it. It is very clear that the engines of corporatism and globalization are going to kill the ecosystem, no matter how many dead zones are created in the Gulf of Mexico or protests organized. We are going to have to make some very serious decisions about acts that dispute a system that in theological terms is a system of death and exploitation. And yet even then, itís probably too late. If you read closely the science on global warming, itís disrupting, even if we stop emissions, global warming will accelerate because of what has already been emitted. I think we have to begin to prepare for collapse, and if you want to survive, thatís going to mean access to a local food source. So, in the end Iím with Camus, I donít think weíre going to fool ourselves into thinking we can make a change. Itís all hijacked, the political system, financial system ... hijacked military complex, itís hijacked, even all of our social and educational systems. Iíve taught at places like Princeton and they all function like corporations. Weíve allowed these corporations to snuff out all voices of sanity and decency and why we listen to this garbage and why we watch it. ... Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow are as bad as the right wing; they are all playing the same wing, nobody is addressing the institutional methods that are strangling us. I donít care if itís from the left or right, it all acts as diversion to keep us in a state of self-delusion.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/live_chat_chris_hed... (http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/live_chat_chris_hedges_on_global_warming_20100721) /

disclaimer: I am a liberal. I read everything.(As long as it fits my moonbat agenda.) I digest and use what I want as fuel to fight another day.( As long as I can somehow blame Bu$h or the ReThugs.) I am not anti-Obama, anti-America, or anti-kittens. I just like to be fed, (But I'd like if someone, anyone else but me has to pay the bill.) kpete

kpete also wants a condo in Boca...a nice one. :D

m00
08-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I like how he had to add the caveat that he isn't anti-Obama, because God-forbid someone might infer such a thing. I also like he listed that he isn't anti-Obama before he listed that he isn't anti-America. Priorities?

SarasotaRepub
08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
I like how he had to add the caveat that he isn't anti-Obama, because God-forbid someone might infer such a thing. I also like he listed that he isn't anti-Obama before he listed that he isn't anti-America. Priorities?

Das Skinner frowns on Anti-Obama. :D

Gingersnap
08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
"Blah, blah.....in theological terms...blah...." WTF?

How does anything in that article relate to theology?

The problem with this guy and his intellectual brethren is that he's in love with Romanticism and a more flawed view of the world and mankind you'd be hard put to find. These people believe that the pony ride was over the minute two savage tribes called a truce and did a little non-violent trading. They hate "the system". They are convinced that human beings naturally come into the world riding unicorns and shedding Skittles and it's the oppressor-educational-corporatist-military-industrial complex that turned everybody into capitalist zombies.

If I could kill one historical figure in the hope of changing humanity, I'd double-tap Rousseau. :mad: