PDA

View Full Version : Off my plate Thursday Thread

FlaGator
08-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Once again it will be in the mid 90s but only a small chance of rain this afternoon. At least something changed

TOTD: What food that is commonly served do you absolutely refuse to eat? Personally I will not touch spinach or greens. They look disgusting, more like something you'd throw away rather than eat. I get nauseous just thinking about eating them.

linda22003
08-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Beef liver. I think it's more of a texture thing than a flavor thing. I never had to eat it growing up; my father hated it too and mother couldn't make BOTH of us eat it.

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Same old-same old: highs in the 80s with afternoon storms.

TOTD: Coleslaw - ick! The first time we went to Red Robin I didn't know that all their burgers came with slaw. Luckily, the fries are outstanding. That burger went into a take-home carton for Mr. Snaps. Ditto for relish. One serving can contaminate an entire hot dog. Pancakes. Pancakes spell grinding poverty to me since that's what we ate day in and day out when we ran out of money. We had them with Karo, too. None of that rich people's maple syrup. Bleah.

Rebel Yell
08-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Same old-same old: highs in the 80s with afternoon storms.

TOTD: Coleslaw - ick! The first time we went to Red Robin I didn't know that all their burgers came with slaw. Luckily, the fries are outstanding. That burger went into a take-home carton for Mr. Snaps. Ditto for relish. One serving can contaminate an entire hot dog. Pancakes. Pancakes spell grinding poverty to me since that's what we ate day in and day out when we ran out of money. We had them with Karo, too. None of that rich people's maple syrup. Bleah.

Ditto on the cole slaw. As my wife says, " I don't eat cole slaw. I'm not 60."

RobJohnson
08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Today's high 107. I'm thankful I work indoors.

Today is my Friday. I should have keys to the new house next week. The title company changed their name and when they finally opened my file they could not accept the check with the old name..so I had to exchange checks yesterday...good times! I need to get the keys as I am paying cash for the house with plans on doing a re-fi to get some of the money back in the bank. The house is 2722 square feet with an in law apt and sits on an acre lot with plenty of established trees. Since I found such a good deal on this house, I might take advantage of the market and buy one or two more to rent out.

TOTD: Liver. I was so happy as a kid when my dad was forced to go on a low fat diet and we no longer had to eat that stuff. My parents knew I hated it but insisted I tried it every time. It made me gag... Same with peas and lima beans...

lacarnut
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
TOTD: I could never get past the smell of Sauerkraut. Won't touch brains and eggs or Hoghead cheese with a 10' pole either.
BTW, I love calf liver, spinach, greens, cold slaw, peas and baby lima beans.

I get nauseated two seconds after walking in the door of a Red Lobster restaurant. They use a rancid smelling oil according to my sniffer. .

jendf
08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Green bean casserole

Rebel Yell
08-05-2010, 12:26 PM
TOTD: I could never get past the smell of Sauerkraut. Won't touch brains and eggs or Hoghead cheese with a 10' pole either.
BTW, I love calf liver, spinach, greens, cold slaw, peas and baby lima beans.

I get nauseated two seconds after walking in the door of a Red Lobster restaurant. They use a rancid smelling oil according to my sniffer. .

Scrambled hog brains and eggs are good stuff.

noonwitch
08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
It's really nice here, sunny and about 85. The Tigers are playing, I passed Comerica Park on my lunch hour. I assume they are losing, they have sucked since the all star break.

There are a lot of foods I won't touch-liver, sauerkraut, any canned vegetables. I will eat liver in pate or braunschweiger forms, and actually love it prepared in those ways.

lacarnut
08-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Scrambled hog brains and eggs are good stuff.

My mom used to cook it; my brother and I would not touch it.

Rebel Yell
08-05-2010, 03:26 PM
My mom used to cook it; my brother and I would not touch it.

Tastes just like salmon and eggs.

lacarnut
08-05-2010, 03:42 PM

I like salmon and eggs but not mixed together.

Rebel Yell
08-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I like salmon and eggs but not mixed together.

Man, get you some scrambled salmon and eggs and put a little cane syrup in it. That's some good eatin' right there.

noonwitch
08-05-2010, 04:15 PM

I had "salmon benedict" for brunch a couple of months ago. It was delicious.

Articulate_Ape
08-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I won't eat beets. If you find a hair on a beet, you have found the best part. That's about it, other than some god awful crap I have yet to be subjected to. I would probably have to be pretty desperate to try brains though.

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 05:02 PM
I won't eat beets. If you find a hair on a beet, you have found the best part. That's about it, other than some god awful crap I have yet to be subjected to. I would probably have to be pretty desperate to try brains though.

I don't eat beets, either, but I don't think of them as a common food. The last time I actually encountered beets on a menu, I was eating at a pretty upscale "bistro". The beets were part of some kind of trend-slave salad. Ick.

lacarnut
08-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Beets are OK but they have to be soaked in vinegar overnight; same deal with cucumbers.

Articulate_Ape
08-05-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't eat beets, either, but I don't think of them as a common food. The last time I actually encountered beets on a menu, I was eating at a pretty upscale "bistro". The beets were part of some kind of trend-slave salad. Ick.

It has nothing to be with them being "common food". I am a commoner,raised a New England yankee. I just can't stand the sickly sweet taste they have. I'd eat 'em if I had to, but I don't like them.

malloc
08-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Beets taste like semi-sweet dirt. Can't stand 'em.

I love the collard/mustard or turnip greens though. God yes! I used to hate brussel sprouts. Now I love them, I don't understand that. However, olives are the eggs of the devil! They are everywhere, and I can't friggin' stand 'em. So gross the smell makes me gag.

PoliCon
08-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Beets are teh AWESUM chilled with sour cream salt and pepper. I'm gonna hafta make some for snack tonight now . . . .

I do not eat organs of any kind. I do not eat dishes that contain organs. I do not eat 'soul food' or anything else that looks like it came out of the garbage can - nor will I eat any food that in any way reminds me of phlegm. I do not eat raw onions, peppers, and only occasionally will I eat raw tomatoes. (they don't agree with me.) But what really needs to be kept off my plate is bones, gristle, and fat. OH - and I LOATH Cheeze doodles.:mad: Other than that . . . . :o I'm easy to please. . . .

Rockntractor
08-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Beets are teh AWESUM chilled with sour cream salt and pepper. I'm gonna hafta make some for snack tonight now . . . .

I do not eat organs of any kind. I do not eat dishes that contain organs. I do not eat 'soul food' or anything else that looks like it came out of the garbage can - nor will I eat any food that in any way reminds me of phlegm. I do not eat raw onions, peppers, and only occasionally will I eat raw tomatoes. (they don't agree with me.) But what really needs to be kept off my plate is bones, gristle, and fat. OH - and I LOATH Cheeze doodles.:mad: Other than that . . . . :o I'm easy to please. . . .
You're a picky little girl!:confused:

Articulate_Ape
08-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Beets taste like semi-sweet dirt. Can't stand 'em.

I love the collard/mustard or turnip greens though. God yes! I used to hate brussel sprouts. Now I love them, I don't understand that. However, olives are the eggs of the devil! They are everywhere, and I can't friggin' stand 'em. So gross the smell makes me gag.

A recent joint study conducted by Harvard and Yale found that males who dislike olives are 89.7% more likely to wear thong-style underwear when the other good parts of their wives' underwear are in the laundry hamper.

The study results... (http://youtu.be/foybsDsn5hk)

malloc
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
A recent joint study conducted by Harvard and Yale found that males who dislike olives are 89.7% more likely to wear thong-style underwear when the other good parts of their wives' underwear are in the laundry hamper.

Who said the thongs belonged to the wife? :eek:

Articulate_Ape
08-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Who said the thongs belonged to the wife? :eek:

Who indeed?

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I guess I don't care if men wear thongs (as long I don't have to wash them). Also, pigs and horses love beets. There's the makings of a meme here if anybody cared enough.

Rockntractor
08-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I guess I don't care if men wear thongs (as long I don't have to wash them). Also, pigs and horses love beets. There's the makings of a meme here if anybody cared enough.

Do you like turnips and parsnips?

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Do you like turnips and parsnips?

Turnips - oh, the childhood trauma there. My folks had a "you scoop it - you eat it" rule. More than once I was tricked into thinking mashed turnips were mashed potatoes. I still shudder at the horror.

Parsnips have a place in some soups and in some Fall roasted veggie preparations but that's it.

Rockntractor
08-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Turnips - oh, the childhood trauma there. My folks had a "you scoop it - you eat it" rule. More than once I was tricked into thinking mashed turnips were mashed potatoes. I still shudder at the horror.

Parsnips have a place in some soups and in some Fall roasted veggie preparations but that's it.

Steam them and drench them with butter.

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Steam them and drench them with butter.

Dude, you could say that about bats or cutworms - they're still awful. :(

Rockntractor
08-05-2010, 10:04 PM

They say bats are pretty good.
http://www.tienchiu.com/wp-content/gallery/laos-random-photos/roastedbat.jpg

Kay
08-05-2010, 10:23 PM
About the only thing I won't eat is oysters.
Those slimey little snotwad looking blobs.

patriot45
08-05-2010, 10:25 PM

That is a chefs secret! Drown it in sauce, garlic or wine and it is haute cuisne!:D

patriot45
08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
About the only thing I won't eat is oysters.
Those slimey little snotwad looking blobs.

Oh c'mon! Oysters are the bomb! Raw, steamed or any recipe like oyster rockerfellers!
And don't get me started on clams! :D

Kay
08-05-2010, 10:59 PM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/10/14/633911363372699140-oysters.jpg

patriot45
08-05-2010, 11:03 PM

I can deal with that! What about the first guy to pick up a crab and said dont that look tasty!!! :D

patriot45
08-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Hey Kay! Thats why they made hot sauce! :D

malloc
08-05-2010, 11:10 PM
The oyster goes in the shot glass. Peppered vodka goes into the shot glass. The tapatio or tobasco goes into the shot glass, then you enjoy the shot! Now that's how you eat oysters!

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 11:20 PM
The oyster goes in the shot glass. Peppered vodka goes into the shot glass. The tapatio or tobasco goes into the shot glass, then you enjoy the shot! Now that's how you eat oysters!

Now you're talking. I avoid oysters outside of shot glass applications these days.

Smoked clams? Well, that's a whole lot of different.

PoliCon
08-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Smoked clams? Well, that's a whole lot of different. Now see - I prefer the pink bearded clam myself. ;)

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Now see - I prefer the pink bearded clam myself. ;)

Really.

PoliCon
08-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Really.

Oh you had to know someone was gonna go there. :p

malloc
08-05-2010, 11:47 PM

Way too hard to fit in a shot glass and they react explosively when doused with vodka and tobasco.

RobJohnson
08-06-2010, 10:45 AM

How thick of beard?

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Way too hard to fit in a shot glass and they react explosively when doused with vodka and tobasco.

Yea I can see that about the tobasco . . . .

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 10:47 AM
How thick of beard?

I generally shave 'em before I eat em. ;)

RobJohnson
08-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I generally shave 'em before I eat em. ;)

Same here. A freshly shaved clam is always better.

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Same here. A freshly shaved clam is always better.

and they wiggle more when you eat 'em. ;)

RobJohnson
08-06-2010, 02:08 PM
and they wiggle more when you eat 'em. ;)

Clams seem to be more moist the same day of the shave. :p

Kay
08-06-2010, 11:14 PM

That sounds like a good way to ruin a perfectly good shot of vodka.

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
That sounds like a good way to ruin a perfectly good shot of vodka.

It also sounds like a good way to taste the same oyster twice.