PDA

View Full Version : Elevator snub at Florida assisted living facility results in strangulation

bijou
08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
DADE CITY As soon as the elevator doors shut, Fred Shipley, 69, wheeled around and clamped his hands around the neck of a fellow resident at the Edwinola Assisted Living Facility, authorities said.

Howard Soesman, 62, had cut in front of him in line for the elevator, Shipley later told Dade City police.

The two men, both residents of the facility at 14235 Edwinola Way, had been waiting for the elevator about noon Monday, according to the police report.

When it came, Soesman went in first, followed by Shipley and an employee.

Shipley told police he just "snapped."

His only regret, the report noted, was not "killing him." ...
http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00133/fred_shipley_133624d.jpg

link (http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/elevator-snub-leads-to-choking-at-pasco-elderly-home/1112804)

Remind me not to retire to Florida in case I ever need care. :D

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Dude looks pretty tough to me. I guess "assisted living" doesn't also include "assisted attempted murder". Who knew?

JB
08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Aye Carumba! Look at the flappers on that guy.

noonwitch
08-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Dude looks pretty tough to me. I guess "assisted living" doesn't also include "assisted attempted murder". Who knew?

He looks like the evil cousin of Rudy, the guy I was rooting for in the first season of "Survivor".

Apache
08-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Some of those living in nursing homes are... Well children, to put it bluntly. This is just another example of it.

Calypso Jones
08-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Obviously something wrong with the 69 year old..right? But how bout the 62 year old. And aren't these guys just a bit young to be in a home?

m00
08-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Obviously something wrong with the 69 year old..right? But how bout the 62 year old. And aren't these guys just a bit young to be in a home?

Not if you have early onset Alzheimer's or dementia.

PoliCon
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Not if you have early onset Alzheimer's or dementia.

oh - as is the case far too often - your family just can't be bothered with you . . . .

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
oh - as is the case far too often - your family just can't be bothered with you . . . .

How many families can be bothered with a strangler? :confused:

Rockntractor
08-05-2010, 09:41 PM

Yeah, no shit, I keep pushing the old line higher every year. I think old is now like 80 or something.:confused:

lurkalot
08-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Tomorrow morning...let a stranger come in and move you out of your home....you can pack everything you want..as long as it fits in a dresser and a single width closet... your clothes must be considered "Appropriate"
any money you have will now be kept in a "safe place" locked up so it isn't stolen by the stranger who will now be coming into your single room smaller than a studio apartment which you will share with a stranger as well. Oh and if you are lucky, the bathroom will only be shared by FOUR..shower is down the hall, not to worry when the stranger comes in three times a week at her convenience to shower you, she will throw a blanket over you before she walks you down the hall in front of everyone else...strangers, friends, visitors, people touring...
meals are three times a day...the menu rotates every four weeks....no seconds if your doctor decides you are too fat..no bacon if he/she decides you have high blood pressure....no caffiene in your drinks..EVER...
you will get your medications of your doctor's chosing..WHEN its convenient for the nurse.
oh and you can't leave unless you leave with a "responsible party"...meaning someone who won't let you drink alcohol, eat unhealthy or otherwise violate your health dictates...so you can sit here in the bingo game offered daily and wait and see if someone comes to take you for a drive.
have you pooped today? how many times have you peed? why didn't you eat? let me brush your teeth now for you....its bedtime..no t.v. you will keep roommate awake...besides breakfast is at seven so we get you up at five because we have a lot of people to get up so you best go to sleep now....

and that's just a TINY Part of life when your family or doctor or the law decides you need "assistance"
is it any wonder our elders get angry? upset? Miserable? want to die?

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 11:07 PM
....and that's just a TINY Part of life when your family or doctor or the law decides you need "assistance".

Is it any wonder our elders get angry? upset? Miserable? want to die?

All true. My Mom went in and out of nursing homes for years due to "rehab". I did construction/fire safety inspections of these places for three years. My MIL was in one for 2 months.

Unless you have a "golden key" policy that puts you into a facility that is more like a resort than a warehouse, there is nothing good to say about them. Yes, some of the staff are kind and smart but most are unemployable in other settings. Residents are neglected, demeaned, and taken of advantage of everyday. It's horrifying.

If you hated your roommates in college when you were active and mostly drunk, how much will you like bunking with a complete stranger when you are 70 or 80? If TV and ice cream socials bore you now, how much worse later when you can't escape? :(

PoliCon
08-05-2010, 11:18 PM
How many families can be bothered with a strangler? :confused:

Our family has always taken care of our own. When I was a kid we had my grandmother living with us - my great aunt living with us - cousins living with us - etc. Not all at the same time of course - but when there was a need, we took em in.

Rockntractor
08-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Our family has always taken care of our own. When I was a kid we had my grandmother living with us - my great aunt living with us - cousins living with us - etc. Not all at the same time of course - but when there was a need, we took em in.
I'll bet it was hard for you to keep from being stepped on.

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 11:23 PM
My personal "elder care" plan involves vodka and wolves.