PDA

View Full Version : Emma Thompson: having it all is a 'revolting concept'

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Emma Thompson: having it all is a 'revolting concept'

Emma Thompson has dismissed the idea that women can have it all as a "revolting concept".

By Laura Roberts
Published: 7:03AM BST 03 Aug 2010

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uf61dh.jpg
Emma Thompson says having it all is a 'revolting concept' Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The actress said only women who employed professional help could be both a mother and have a full-time career.

Thompson, 51, who has a daughter Gaia, 10, said she was not prepared to hire outside help to look after her child. The couple also adopted a 16 year-old Rwandan refugee seven years ago called Tindyebwa Agaba.

Thompson told the American edition of Good Housekeeping that ideal of perfectly balancing work and home life was "false".

She said: "I don't want your readers ever to think they have to have it all."

The Oscar-winning actress claimed was possible to have a good career and excel at motherhood but not necessarily at the same time.

Maggie Gyllenhaal, who was being interviewed alongside Thompson and who stars with her in the sequel of Nanny McPhee, said the older actress had inspired her to put her own husband, Peter Sarsgaard, first more often.

Gyllenhaal, who has a three year-old daughter called Romana, claimed that behaving as a "classical" wife "feels really right to me".

You go girl! The idea that a woman can have a hard-charging career involving travel and late nights (as most hard-charging men do) and be a really hands-on parent available 24/7 to attend children is ridiculous. No one can do all that. Either you settle for what amounts to a McJob when the kids are still living at home or you hand off the kid-related stuff to a home-based Dad or paid help.

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/7923430/Emma-Thompson-having-it-all-is-a-revolting-concept.html)

noonwitch
08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I give Emma kudos for finding a hot-looking man, after KB dumped her for HBC. He might even be a hot-looking younger man. Either way, he's definitely better looking than KB (not that I really have anything against him, he makes great movies).

Anyone see "Away We Go" on HBO recently? Maggie Gyllenhal has a hilarious role as the type of new-age hippie everyone here despises.

linda22003
08-05-2010, 12:09 PM
They didn't get married until daughter Gaia was four years old. I suppose we applaud that, too? :p

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
They didn't get married until daughter Gaia was four years old. I suppose we applaud that, too? :p

No, why would we? Are you saying that people can't wise up to reality? I've known plenty of shack-ups who pointlessly avoided marriage until they realized that they had to think about someone other than themselves like their kids.

Having kids outside of wedlock is wrong and puts a huge burden on children since the parents can break it off at any moment and take up with a new shack-up lover anytime. But women who do shack-up and have kids (or get married normally) are kidding themselves if they think that they can handle a high powered career and the 24/7 after-school special with equal skill and success.

I've watched this play out many times. Something, often more than one thing, always suffers.

linda22003
08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Well, since we think she's so wise and all.... :p

Gingersnap
08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Well, since we think she's so wise and all.... :p

These things are relative - she's an actress, after all. It's just refreshing to see a celebutard saying something that most of 'The View' would find horrifying.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I give Emma kudos for finding a hot-looking man, after KB dumped her for HBC. He might even be a hot-looking younger man. Either way, he's definitely better looking than KB (not that I really have anything against him, he makes great movies).

Anyone see "Away We Go" on HBO recently? Maggie Gyllenhal has a hilarious role as the type of new-age hippie everyone here despises.

Who is KB, and HBC and did he/she leave he/she for HBO???