PDA

View Full Version : Notebooks

Rockntractor
08-05-2010, 11:55 PM
If you were in the market for a new or used laptop right now, what kind would you buy?

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 12:00 AM
depends - what's the budget?

Cheap? A Toshiba Satellite.

Money no object? Alienware.

Gingersnap
08-06-2010, 12:01 AM
HP. I've got one of their laptops and a notebook and it's fine for our uses. Both get used every day but Sunday and we haven't had any issues or complaints. Now, neither of us use them for gaming so I couldn't speak to that.

Kay
08-06-2010, 12:03 AM
I have a Sony Vaio laptop with the 18 inch wide-screen and blueray dvd player built
in. I wouldn't take for it. This is my favorite computing devise ever. I added a wireless
mouse and keyboard to it. It's easy to transport with me all over the house or when
traveling, but still big enough to use like a desktop.

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 12:03 AM
I got my first Dell business laptop a year ago and am very happy with it. I am most impressed with how the case still looks great after a year of being on in the truck every day. it resists scratches better than any I have had.

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 12:06 AM
I have a Sony Vaio laptop with the 18 inch wide-screen and blueray dvd player built
in. I wouldn't take for it. This is my favorite computing devise ever. I added a wireless
mouse and keyboard to it. It's easy to transport with me all over the house or when
traveling, but still big enough to use like a desktop.
Is yours able to have two internal hard drives? I like the looks of their wide screens for desktop replacements.

fettpett
08-06-2010, 02:39 PM
My wife has had 2 Toshiba Satalites, and I have one. only problem we had was the keyboard on the old one started coming apart, but that was due to a book being dropped on it and a little girl that wanted to play with the keys

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
My wife has had 2 Toshiba Satalites, and I have one. only problem we had was the keyboard on the old one started coming apart, but that was due to a book being dropped on it and a little girl that wanted to play with the keys

You can get new keyboards on ebay for laptops.

djones520
08-06-2010, 03:12 PM
I own two HP's and a Toshiba. I'd recommend either. I only buy full laptops though, not notebooks. I want a machine that can play a game or two when I'm deployed/tdy.

hampshirebrit
08-06-2010, 03:25 PM
MacBook Air, if money was no object. Until then, I'd stick with what I have ... MacBook Pro.

Speedy
08-06-2010, 03:32 PM
A very good for the money machine is emachines. I have had two and they were great.

m00
08-06-2010, 04:56 PM
If you are looking for a good gaming laptop (aka desktop replacement) get a clevo.

you can pick them up at http://www.xoticpc.com/ or http://www.sagernotebook.com/

Trust me.

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 05:28 PM
A very good for the money machine is emachines. I have had two and they were great.

Are they laptops or notebooks?

hampshirebrit
08-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Are they laptops or notebooks?

Lapbooks and notetops.

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Lapbooks and notetops.

Zackly!:D

fettpett
08-06-2010, 08:30 PM
You can get new keyboards on ebay for laptops.

yeah, but I wont work on notebooks other than RAM, HDD, Optical drives...too much of a pain in the ass

Kay
08-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Is yours able to have two internal hard drives? I like the looks of their wide screens for desktop replacements.

Well, now I'm not an IT guru, so I'm not sure if I'm saying this right. I'm not sure if I have two separate internal hard drives, or if it's just one that is partitioned off into two. But I do have two - a C: and a D:

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, now I'm not an IT guru, so I'm not sure if I'm saying this right. I'm not sure if I have two separate internal hard drives, or if it's just one that is partitioned off into two. But I do have two - a C: and a D:

Normally even if they are capable they only install one and you have to add the other. Yours is probably partitioned. I would like one that is dual drive capable because I could install an SSD drive for the operating system and programs and use the other drive for storage, much faster that way.

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 11:12 PM
yeah, but I wont work on notebooks other than RAM, HDD, Optical drives...too much of a pain in the ass

It isn't that bad. I change out the processors on them.