PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Friday

linda22003
08-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Working at home for a couple of hours this morning, then I'm done for the week. As long as my hours are in, it doesn't matter when I do them. This is a good system.

It's humid and muggy here after wild storms here in the DC area at (of course) commuting time yesterday afternoon.

TOTD: What would you do with a three day weekend? Give me some better ideas than laundry.

bijou
08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
20 degrees C here with a chance of showers.
TOTD: I'd go to an exhibition and treat myself to lunch. The best part about a three day weekend is doing something enjoyable on one day and still having time to get the more prosaic things done.

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 09:25 AM
I would drive down to New Orleans and see Lacarnut.

Gingersnap
08-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Same old monsoon pattern for today.

TOTD: I would do all the prosaic junk on the first day and get it out of the way. After that, I would make a day of it and hit a county fair. It's fair season from now until the first week in September out here. I'd yak with my friends, eat too many corn dogs, and probably buy random stuff that I will donate in 6 months. :D

FlaGator
08-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Hot....

TOTD: Do the laundry and clean the garage.

NJCardFan
08-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Hot and muggy.

This is my Monday so it's off to work for me.

noonwitch
08-06-2010, 10:06 AM
It's another really nice day here-sunny, temps in the upper 70s, kind of cool for August in the D.

TOTD: A three day weekend usually means sleeping in an extra day, and swimming in the morning instead of at night, thus avoiding the screaming children. I love it when I get a chance to go swimming earlier in the day. Or, it means making food to bring to work on Tuesday.

lacarnut
08-06-2010, 10:08 AM

That would be great. We would have a blast.
Thanks

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 10:13 AM
That would be great. We would have a blast.
Thanks

You tow get together and no one would be safe . . . the entire state would have to lock up their farm animals. :p

TOTD: Take a mini. Get on orbitz or some other such site - buy at ticket and go somewhere you've never been - or somewhere you always like to go.

lacarnut
08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
You tow get together and no one would be safe . . . the entire state would have to lock up their farm animals. :p

Don't you have a midget tossing convention to go to?

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Don't you have a midget tossing convention to go to?

nah. But I am going car shopping today. :)

linda22003
08-06-2010, 10:42 AM
nah. But I am going car shopping today. :)

Whatcha gettin'? Pay cash!

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Whatcha gettin'? Pay cash!

Oh I will be. Finally got my settlement from when my car got totaled TWO FUCKING MONTHS AGO - and I only had to start calling up the chain of command and making a huge stink about it . . . . ANYHOW - going used and I will be paying cash.

I've two cars that are on my preferred list - the Pontiac Bonneville because I have always been a fan of driving them - and the Mitsubishi Diamante. If I find anything else that's a good deal - I'll consider it on a case by case basis.

FlaGator
08-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Oh I will be. Finally got my settlement from when my car got totaled TWO FUCKING MONTHS AGO - and I only had to start calling up the chain of command and making a huge stink about it . . . . ANYHOW - going used and I will be paying cash.

I've two cars that are on my preferred list - the Pontiac Bonneville because I have always been a fan of driving them - and the Mitsubishi Diamante. If I find anything else that's a good deal - I'll consider it on a case by case basis.

2 months! Feel lucky. My Porsche was in the shop for 6 months after some chick hit me. The body shop and the insurance company had an ongoing argument about repair costs...

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 10:59 AM

I think you would be more suited to a smart car or a volt.

lacarnut
08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I think you would be more suited to a smart car or a volt.

Plenty of room in them for short farts.:p

lacarnut
08-06-2010, 11:07 AM

I had a Bonneville with the fins on the back; that sucker was a gas guzzler.

RobJohnson
08-06-2010, 12:53 PM

That sounds like a great idea. Stop by and pick me up!

This afternoon I close on the new house. I have some cleaning and painting to do and some new furniture to buy. I have two smaller homes to sell now, but that should not be a problem. They are both paid for so no worries. The new place will be paid off this afternoon when they hand me the keys. No mortgage. :) The market is so bad I ended up spending about 1/3 of what I was planning on spending for a larger house. It's like I hit the lottery with this deal.

Here in Nevada they don't use lawyers for the close. I like that. In Illinois it seemed like you had to have a lawyer for everything. That saves me some cash.

I noticed last night the front yard has five olive trees, with olives on the branch. Interesting.

I will now have a garage again so I can start to paint & repair cars again. I miss that.
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6956/housee.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/i/housee.jpg/)

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/4914/91332657.jpg (http://img72.imageshack.us/i/91332657.jpg/)

Not the best picture due to the light from the window:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7865/36328715.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/36328715.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

TOTD: I have a four day weekend. I'll be working on the new house. (see above)

RobJohnson
08-06-2010, 12:54 PM

Go with the Bonneville, a great dependable car. Parts & labor for a Mitsubishi are freaking expensive.

RobJohnson
08-06-2010, 12:56 PM
2 months! Feel lucky. My Porsche was in the shop for 6 months after some chick hit me. The body shop and the insurance company had an ongoing argument about repair costs...

An argument about repair costs? What would be the hold up, they fix it, you pay the bill and the insurance company owes you the liquid damages (repair costs)

Six months in a shop, it should of been totaled...

Gingersnap
08-06-2010, 01:05 PM
That sounds like a great idea. Stop by and pick me up!

This afternoon I close on the new house. I have some cleaning and painting to do and some new furniture to buy. I have two smaller homes to sell now, but that should not be a problem. They are both paid for so no worries. The new place will be paid off this afternoon when they hand me the keys. No mortgage. :) The market is so bad I ended up spending about 1/3 of what I was planning on spending for a larger house. It's like I hit the lottery with this deal.

Here in Nevada they don't use lawyers for the close. I like that. In Illinois it seemed like you had to have a lawyer for everything. That saves me some cash.

I noticed last night the front yard has five olive trees, with olives on the branch. Interesting.

It looks fabulous! You'll have to keep us posted with the new furniture. :)

RobJohnson
08-06-2010, 01:16 PM
It looks fabulous! You'll have to keep us posted with the new furniture. :)

Thanks. House is zoned multi-family and has an in law apartment attached....house is about 50 feet longer then what shows in the picture..

A few months ago I seen some furniture that looked like new & was dirt cheap at a local consignment shop....sure wish I would of bought it now.

Back yard needs Rockntractor's Kubota:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/386/backlzf.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/backlzf.jpg/)

Kitchen in the apt:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2339/aptkitchen.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/aptkitchen.jpg/)

The house is about six miles from the CA border (so I'm told LOL) and there is a nice mountain breeze. I will also be six miles from work. Now I walk to work..so much for that!

Gingersnap
08-06-2010, 01:18 PM
The house is about six miles from the CA border (so I'm told LOL) and there is a nice mountain breeze. I will also be six miles from work. Now I walk to work..so much for that!

Get a bike. If you're more or less on flat ground, 6 miles is nothing on a bike.

RobJohnson
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Get a bike. If you're more or less on flat ground, 6 miles is nothing on a bike.

It is flat but my gut is not!

Yeah, its all blacktop between the house and work...that is a good idea...I have a couple bikes (with flats)

Scooters are popular here you dont even need plates or insurance to drive them on the roads.

The new house has plenty of room for guests, so if anyone wants a Nevada vacation (I'm close to Death Valley & Vegas) you are welcome to stay a few nights.

lacarnut
08-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks. House is zoned multi-family and has an in law apartment attached....house is about 50 feet longer then what shows in the picture..

A few months ago I seen some furniture that looked like new & was dirt cheap at a local consignment shop....sure wish I would of bought it now.

You new house looks great. The LR with the exposed beams and stone fireplace is impressive. Congrats.

If you decide to buy new, the Internet is a great place to look. I bought my rattan LR and BR furniture from there.

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I had a Bonneville with the fins on the back; that sucker was a gas guzzler.
The last generation wasn't - especially when it comes to highway miles - which is what I mostly drive.

lacarnut
08-06-2010, 01:49 PM
The last generation wasn't - especially when it comes to highway miles - which is what I mostly drive.

Mine was a hand me down from my dad to my brother to me ....70's version.

RobJohnson
08-06-2010, 02:05 PM
You new house looks great. The LR with the exposed beams and stone fireplace is impressive. Congrats.

Thanks.

I have been looking online at furniture. That's a good way to save money and I have friends that wont mind the assembly. :p

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
It is flat but my gut is not!

Yeah, its all blacktop between the house and work...that is a good idea...I have a couple bikes (with flats)

Scooters are popular here you dont even need plates or insurance to drive them on the roads.

The new house has plenty of room for guests, so if anyone wants a Nevada vacation (I'm close to Death Valley & Vegas) you are welcome to stay a few nights.

Do the bike. You'll feel much better for having done it and she's right - 6 miles is easy on a bike.

noonwitch
08-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Bonnevilles are nice cars. I'm a Ford person, myself, but we had some Bonnevilles as state cars back when I was a delinquency worker and they worked well for the job-I could pack a whole lot of teenager crap into the trunk whenever I had to move a kid. Also, they have enough leg room for us taller people.

RobJohnson
08-07-2010, 02:21 AM
The final close on the house was pushed into next week.

It's hard to record the deed when part of the town has a power outage. :D

Kay
08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I love your new house Rob. :)

RobJohnson
08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I love your new house Rob. :)

Thanks!

SarasotaRepub
08-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Nice house Rob! I'll tell SLW to take a look. :)

RobJohnson
08-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Nice house Rob! I'll tell SLW to take a look. :)

Thank you.

I put hours into the search and even after having a couple offers rejected or ignored due to an agent that was not the greatest, I changed relators and things fell into place with this deal.