PDA

View Full Version : 5 dogs, 1 skunk... who wins?

Apache
08-06-2010, 09:08 PM
You guessed it :eek:

The aroma of pissed skunk is now wafting throughout the property :mad:

Bubba Dawg
08-06-2010, 09:10 PM
We wer ehousesitting for someone with a remote cabin. Their hounds killed a skunk directly under the house. At about 3 in the morning.

AWFUL.

malloc
08-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Are you going to go with the tomato juice dog bath or the vinegar dog bath to rid the dogs of the smell.

I'd go with tomato juice, because if it doesn't work, then you can always add vodka to leftover tomato juice so at least it's not a complete wash.

Apache
08-06-2010, 09:14 PM
We wer ehousesitting for someone with a remote cabin. Their hounds killed a skunk directly under the house. At about 3 in the morning.

AWFUL.

Three have been sprayed, do you think they care? No! They've got the damn thing pinned under an out-building. It's getting in the house...:eek:

I may have to leave, it reeks....

Apache
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Are you going to go with the tomato juice dog bath or the vinegar dog bath to rid the dogs of the smell.

I'd go with tomato juice, because if it doesn't work, then you can always add vodka to leftover tomato juice so at least it's not a complete wash.

Pressure washer+ ammonia :mad:

Rockntractor
08-06-2010, 09:16 PM

You get kind of used to it but people in enclosed areas that you enter will give you strange looks.

Apache
08-06-2010, 09:19 PM
You get kind of used to it but people in enclosed areas that you enter will give you strange looks.

I thought I was....maybe because it keeps spraying its making it worse... dunno... Headed for town... Later guys

Speedy
08-06-2010, 09:37 PM
My have trapped and killed skunks on my property twice iin the last year. For somr reason, they do not mind the smell. I used the tomato juice method on them.

Gingersnap
08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
If you have Petsmart or something similar, get the de-skunker stuff. Tomato juice does nothing but make a mess. Vinegar just masks it. I've been there. :(

Speedy
08-06-2010, 09:56 PM
If you have Petsmart or something similar, get the de-skunker stuff. Tomato juice does nothing but make a mess. Vinegar just masks it. I've been there. :(

Living out here on the edge of town and having had dogs my whole life, I have had to de-stink dogs at least 10 times. While tomato juice does not completely get rid of the smell, it does lower it to a tolerable level.

Gingersnap
08-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Living out here on the edge of town and having had dogs my whole life, I have had to de-stink dogs at least 10 times. While tomato juice does not completely get rid of the smell, it does lower it to a tolerable level.

I now keep a gallon of de-skunker on hand at all times. The skunks are worst in the spring when they are mating but a mishap can occur anytime. Half the time, my neighbors need it.

PoliCon
08-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Shave 'em down to the skin and deskunk 'em.

Kay
08-06-2010, 11:59 PM
I used to live out in the country in central TX, and had skunks all over the place. Every few months it seemed, a mama skunk would have 4 or 5 babies near the house. My viscious little yorkie used to wake me up at wee hours wanting to go outside...and in a sleep induced coma state I'd fall for it every time. I'd open the door to let her out thinking she needed to tinkle, and she take off chasing a skunk. I hated those 3 AM emergency baths when she'd come back in. :(

Apache
08-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Geez-O-Pete... Not a good day. Two of the out buildings are airing out, FOUR dogs need baths and the stink is reaching a quarter mile...NOW :(

djones520
08-07-2010, 09:56 AM
You'll have to forgive me for finding this hilarious. :D

Apache
08-07-2010, 10:00 AM
You'll have to forgive me for finding this hilarious. :D

Wait til YOU experience it...:p

namvet
08-07-2010, 10:01 AM

sure it was skunk??? democrats have that same smell

djones520
08-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Wait til YOU experience it...:p

I'm no stranger to skunks. Spent many years in the country of Michigan. I've even managed to come within 3 feet of one without getting spraid. :D

Apache
08-07-2010, 10:04 AM

I've got to check Rural King....

Sonnabend
08-07-2010, 10:08 AM
We dont have skunks here :D

Is the smell that bad?

djones520
08-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Is the smell that bad?

Yes.

There is no real way to describe it, but it gets everywhere, and it stays with you. Like Apache says, when the skunk sprays you can smell it up to a quarter mile or more away.

Constitutionally Speaking
08-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Is the smell that bad?

Yes.

Been through it twice with my current pooch and multiple times with others. The wife makes up some mixture that works better than any other remedy I have used - commercially prepared or home remedy.

I'll see if I can't get the recipe when she gets back.

Be advised that NOTHING eliminates it completely except time.

Apache
08-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Is the smell that bad?

I can bottle some for you...:eek:

Sonnabend
08-07-2010, 10:23 AM
I can bottle some for you...

It'd never make it past Customs :D

Kay
08-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Is the smell that bad?

Oh it is the most putrid smell you can ever imagine.

Years ago a mama skunk was crossing the road with a baby in her mouth that didn't even have it's eyes open yet. When she saw our car upon her she dropped the baby and ran off. Naturally we had to bottle feed and raise it. It was a great pet (sent bags were extracted). They are very playful almost like cats. But then after he got about a year old, he got pretty mean and started biting. My dad was so worried that he had rabies or would get rabies and made us get rid of him. We gave him to a nearby zoo.

Gingersnap
08-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Is the smell that bad?

Lord, it's awful and it totally contaminates anything the spray gets on. At least we only have one really killer snake and only a couple that can make you sick.

Apache
08-07-2010, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEENailed him!

Downside, 1 more building needs airing and there's fresh scent all over the property :rolleyes:

Big Guy
08-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Is the smell that bad?

It is the worse than a dead rotting carcas. We had one spring a leak under our house, it took Serv-Pro a week to get the smell down to tolerable.

Apache
08-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes.

Been through it twice with my current pooch and multiple times with others. The wife makes up some mixture that works better than any other remedy I have used - commercially prepared or home remedy.

I'll see if I can't get the recipe when she gets back.

Be advised that NOTHING eliminates it completely except time.

*bump*

Hey CS, you got that remedy?????? Really need it... Thx:D

malloc
08-09-2010, 08:28 PM

Is the smell that bad?

I'll try to describe, but this probably will be too weak for an accurate description.

Take a decomposing corpse, in the purification or near black purification stages. Surround it with crushed garlic, and rotten eggs, then light a tire on fire for good measure. Breathe deeply.

If you are still curious I saw on MythBusters that a synthetic skunk scent is manufactured and used for scientific purposes.

Rockntractor
08-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I've been through it many times, it is bad at first but you get used to it. It's organic.