PDA

View Full Version : Car Shopping Saturday . . . .

PoliCon
08-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Weather: Right now it's 66 and it's gonna top out at 81 and be sunny all day. :)

TOTD: Car Shopping.

I'm in the market for a used car. Trouble is - there isn't anything worth buying in my area. BUT - I did find a car that I am very interested in, but it's over 200 miles away . . . . I'm debating a road trip. I've used Autotrader.com, cars.com, and getauto.com . . . . Any suggestions on other sources? Am I being too picky? I mean is it too much to ask for to get a car I like at a good price with good mileage and in good condition? Any suggestions on sleep type cars to look at? By sleeper I mean car that has good features, quality, and reliability but is not one of the sought after used cars so I can get it at a good price?

namvet
08-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Weather: Right now it's 66 and it's gonna top out at 81 and be sunny all day. :)

I'm in the market for a used car. Trouble is - there isn't anything worth buying in my area. BUT - I did find a car that I am very interested in, but it's over 200 miles away . . . . I'm debating a road trip. I've used Autotrader.com, cars.com, and getauto.com . . . . Any suggestions on other sources? Am I being too picky? I mean is it too much to ask for to get a car I like at a good price with good mileage and in good condition? Any suggestions on sleep type cars to look at? By sleeper I mean car that has good features, quality, and reliability but is not one of the sought after used cars so I can get it at a good price?

get the VIN number and run it thru carfax

lacarnut
08-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Try carmax; they sell quality cars & have thousands for sale nationwide. Edmunds is another source you might try. On price, I would use NADA or Kelly Blue Book value. Most dealers will jack up the price a thousand or two on a $10k vehicle. I think carmax offers a limited (30 to 90 day) warranty. However, their prices may not be negotiable.

You gonna have to go out of town to get the car you want.

Rockntractor
08-07-2010, 11:08 AM

A smart car, it's you!:D

lacarnut
08-07-2010, 11:16 AM

He could hold off and purchase a China-mobile on sale at Walleymart for under 10 grand. A death trap like the Smart Car to die for.

RobJohnson
08-07-2010, 12:25 PM
87F | Current: Sunny
Wind: SE at 8 mph
Humidity: 12%

It's already 87 outside and the high is predicted to be 99.

TOTD: Have you looked on Craig's list for a car? I helped some friends find a used mini van in Las Vegas, it turned out to be a great vehicle at a great price. Don't put too much faith in Carfax unless the car was a total (and sometimes not even then) accidents usually are not recorded. If it was a total it would have a rebuilt title so no need for Carfax.

Big Guy
08-07-2010, 12:50 PM
See if you can find one of these. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVIwropRMME

PoliCon
08-07-2010, 02:14 PM
get the VIN number and run it thru carfax

Actually - NADA has a better service than does Carfax - cheaper too. No worries though. I know to check.

PoliCon
08-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Try carmax; they sell quality cars & have thousands for sale nationwide. Edmunds is another source you might try. On price, I would use NADA or Kelly Blue Book value. Most dealers will jack up the price a thousand or two on a $10k vehicle. I think carmax offers a limited (30 to 90 day) warranty. However, their prices may not be negotiable.

You gonna have to go out of town to get the car you want.

I check the NADA for every car I've had any kind of interest in . . . . Carmax has nothing close to me so . . . thanks though.

PoliCon
08-07-2010, 02:16 PM

Every time I see one of those POS - I wanna squish it. :rolleyes:

BadCat
08-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Look for a used Hyundai Sonata.
If you get it from a Hyundai dealer, they will usually throw in the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Plus you'll have the enjoyment of knowing that no American labor union pukes worked on it.

lacarnut
08-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Look for a used Hyundai Sonata.
If you get it from a Hyundai dealer, they will usually throw in the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Plus you'll have the enjoyment of knowing that no American labor union pukes worked on it.

My brother just bought a used Hyundai SUV. Hyundai has come a long way on their reliability and fit issues. Great vehicle for the price with a great warranty.

PoliCon
08-08-2010, 07:29 PM
HOOPLA! I have a deal to purchase a car. :) I'm getting an 03 Mistubishi Diamante LS with medium miles - no rust - no chips - no issues - power everything - leather - moonroof - engine PURRS - and it's only costing me $4000. I love a good sleeper. :)

MountainMan
08-08-2010, 08:34 PM
HOOPLA! I have a deal to purchase a car. :) I'm getting an 03 Mistubishi Diamante LS with medium miles - no rust - no chips - no issues - power everything - leather - moonroof - engine PURRS - and it's only costing me $4000. I love a good sleeper. :)

Did the seller throw in the wooden blocks for the pedals and a couple of phone books for the seat?

PoliCon
08-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Did the seller throw in the wooden blocks for the pedals and a couple of phone books for the seat?

no - but there is plenty of room in the trunk for a dead body or two . . . . :p

Rockntractor
08-08-2010, 09:24 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/red-dwarf-back-to-earth-3.jpg?t=1281317038

Rockntractor
08-08-2010, 09:31 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/smart-car-monster-thumb.jpg?t=1281317435

Rockntractor
08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/peel.jpg?t=1281317928

RobJohnson
08-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Glad you found a good deal. Sounds like a great car.

PoliCon
08-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Glad you found a good deal. Sounds like a great car.

http://www.cars.com/mitsubishi/diamante/2003/specs/?acode=USB30MIC021C0

http://cdn.getauto.com/photos/0/160460/1c/6MMAP67P83T014775-1c.jpg

it is. ESPECIALLY for the price. :cool:

RobJohnson
08-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow looks great!

PoliCon
08-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Wow looks great!

Yup. Until recently their styling was very German. Oh that pic isn't the one I'm buying - mine is green.