PDA

View Full Version : New Things Sunday

djones520
08-08-2010, 05:19 AM
In the interests of helping people branch out to try new things in life, I thought today we could discuss hobbies that we thought we wouldn't enjoy but ended up liking.

For me it was gardening/yard work. I saw it as mostly a chore when I was a kid, but about my mid-teen years I actually began to enjoy the work. We had a 10 acre plot of land, about 5 acres of it was open grass, the rest forest. We'd keep the two acres in front and behind the house mowed constantly, and once a year we'd mow the other 3 acres. We also had a pretty good flower garden in front of the house, and a couple food plots behind the house. Strawberries, peppers, onions, various other things, even tried some pumpkins and water melons.

Way back in the forest, in an open grassy area, we laid a plot of wild corn down to help draw some deer in. That didn't take off as well, but it was still a fun venture trying to get the tiller back there and doing all the work.

Today I still enjoy keeping my lawn up, though gardening is a bit more difficult with all the rules on base.

So how about the rest of you. What were some hobbies that you have today that you looked at with disdain originally?

hampshirebrit
08-08-2010, 05:58 AM
Cooking is my New Thing. Never really was into it before three or so years ago.

Teh Bijou has given me a lot of advice and inspiration along the way.

bijou
08-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Cooking is my New Thing. Never really was into it before three or so years ago.

Teh Bijou has given me a lot of advice and inspiration along the way.

My pleasure. :) BTW have you seen the Wing Yip online store
http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/allsubcategories.php

all your oriental food needs satisfied.

Bubba Dawg
08-08-2010, 08:26 AM
I grew up on a farm and for years my family had a restaurant.

For many years I've always said that you could not give me, under any circumstances, a farm or a restaurant. I hated the hours on both.

But I now really enjoy cooking, and have recently started puttering around with a garden. This year I planted late because of circumstances so not much came of it, but next year I'll give it a better shot.

SaintLouieWoman
08-08-2010, 10:47 AM
I've volunteered at the St Louis Zoo for exactly 20 years. It kept me semi-sane during all the pressure filled years of selling office equipment. My involvement in elephant research at the zoo and being an elie midwife (went to the zoo after hours and watched for signs of immnent elie labor so I could call the curator, who would call the vet) were very enjoyable.

Also enjoyed the pet therapy thing once a month, taking the greyhounds to a local nursing home (the home for 3+ years of my mom).

Moving to Florida has involved major disruptions to my long established activities. It probably was a good thing, despite all my initial bitching.

Instead of elies, I now volunteer at Mote Marine Research and explain all things dolphin, manatee and sea turtle to visitors. I've found that the institution itself is less rigid and the volunteers more pleasant.

I've always just done container gardening, but nothing serious. Now our house has hedges everywhere, fairly formal. I decided to volunteer at Marie Selby Botanical Garden here. Again, it's been a good change. I'm learning more about the plants in Florida and workng in the "mansion", explaining some of the art exhibited to visitors and enjoying the Sarasota Bay view out the windows.

Sometimes it's good to get out of a rut.

Bubba Dawg
08-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I've volunteered at the St Louis Zoo for exactly 20 years. It kept me semi-sane during all the pressure filled years of selling office equipment. My involvement in elephant research at the zoo and being an elie midwife (went to the zoo after hours and watched for signs of immnent elie labor so I could call the curator, who would call the vet) were very enjoyable.

Also enjoyed the pet therapy thing once a month, taking the greyhounds to a local nursing home (the home for 3+ years of my mom).

Moving to Florida has involved major disruptions to my long established activities. It probably was a good thing, despite all my initial bitching.

Instead of elies, I now volunteer at Mote Marine Research and explain all things dolphin, manatee and sea turtle to visitors. I've found that the institution itself is less rigid and the volunteers more pleasant.

I've always just done container gardening, but nothing serious. Now our house has hedges everywhere, fairly formal. I decided to volunteer at Marie Selby Botanical Garden here. Again, it's been a good change. I'm learning more about the plants in Florida and workng in the "mansion", explaining some of the art exhibited to visitors and enjoying the Sarasota Bay view out the windows.

Sometimes it's good to get out of a rut.

Nice.

Now that you are in Florida, have you put together your Hurricane Preparedness kit? :D

SaintLouieWoman
08-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Nice.

Now that you are in Florida, have you put together your Hurricane Preparedness kit? :D

We've got a couple of cases of water and some larger jugs stocked up in the closet. I've been getting some additional canned foods and we have a spare tank for the gas grill.

The most important thing, we had a garage door rated up to 165 mph installed and waiting for hurricane accordion shutters for the 3rd bath that leads outside and the front door.

Of coure the home inspector said our home was 100% hurricane proof, said it in the inspection before we bought the house. He said a bunch of other stuff, too, that wasn't right.

Someone said we can go against his errors and omission insurance as a home inspector. I need to try to find out how to proceed without incurring attorney fees higher than the "damages". The garage door and other protection is running us $2800, not a good thing.

hampshirebrit
08-08-2010, 01:42 PM

That has to be one of the coolest Things to Do. :)

hampshirebrit
08-08-2010, 01:46 PM
My pleasure. :) BTW have you seen the Wing Yip online store
http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/allsubcategories.php

all your oriental food needs satisfied.

Wow, great link!!

See what I mean, folks? Our Bijou is something of a chef/gourmet. :D

Bubba Dawg
08-08-2010, 02:21 PM
We've got a couple of cases of water and some larger jugs stocked up in the closet. I've been getting some additional canned foods and we have a spare tank for the gas grill.

The most important thing, we had a garage door rated up to 165 mph installed and waiting for hurricane accordion shutters for the 3rd bath that leads outside and the front door.

Of coure the home inspector said our home was 100% hurricane proof, said it in the inspection before we bought the house. He said a bunch of other stuff, too, that wasn't right.

Someone said we can go against his errors and omission insurance as a home inspector. I need to try to find out how to proceed without incurring attorney fees higher than the "damages". The garage door and other protection is running us $2800, not a good thing.

generator?

Better have a chain saw, some tarps, and ladder in case a tree falls on your house.....oh wait....I think you already know about that.....:D

RobJohnson
08-08-2010, 02:28 PM

I would just start in small claims, his insurance company will respond to the suit, if he has insurance.

They might just settle right away out of court.

Or you could get an lawyer and the lawyer could ask for his fees in the suit.

I'm glad you are starting to like Florida. It will be so much better for you this winter.

lacarnut
08-08-2010, 02:46 PM
generator?

:D

I need to get a stand alone natural gas generator. Gasoline ones are a pain in the butt plus you have to worry about the thieves.

Bubba Dawg
08-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I need to get a stand alone natural gas generator. Gasoline ones are a pain in the butt plus you have to worry about the thieves.

We have a gas generator to run the well if we lose power due to ice. Some friends have a system installed in their house that runs on propane and automatically kicks in if the power fails. It doesn't run everything in the house but runs their well and lights. Their power went off during an NFL playoff game and they didn't miss a play.

lacarnut
08-08-2010, 03:02 PM
He said a bunch of other stuff, too, that wasn't right.

The limit for filing with small claims court was $3,000 in LA but that was a long time ago. That amount has probably increased. Call the Home Inspector and tell him that you plan to sue. Like Rob says, he might have insurance or he might want to settle out of court. If not, the sooner you file suit the better as there may be a statute of limitations. If he does not want to co-operate, tell him you are also going to report him to B.B.B. You do not need a lawyer for small claims. The city agency that handles those suits will give you a list of steps you must follow and guiding you thru the procees is quite simple. I did it twice and it was like falling off a log; it was so easy.

PoliCon
08-08-2010, 05:15 PM
TOTD: to be quite honest - I try my best not to try new things. I'm too OCD. :( When I pick up a hobby I pour TONS of energy and time into it to the exclusion of other things and I can't afford to do that - especially not right now.

SaintLouieWoman
08-08-2010, 06:41 PM
generator?

Better have a chain saw, some tarps, and ladder in case a tree falls on your house.....oh wait....I think you already know about that.....:D

SR has a chain saw, but it's fairly small. We have ladders, which we brought from St Louis. We don't have a tarp.

We did have the live oaks trimmed that were over the house and the remainder of the tree was cut to allow the wind to go through without taking down the tree. I hope it works.

We do need a generator, but unfortunately we don't have natural gas here. We have battery powered lanterns and a propane lantern that SR got yesterday. We're also stocked up on dog food.

SaintLouieWoman
08-08-2010, 06:45 PM
The limit for filing with small claims court was $3,000 in LA but that was a long time ago. That amount has probably increased. Call the Home Inspector and tell him that you plan to sue. Like Rob says, he might have insurance or he might want to settle out of court. If not, the sooner you file suit the better as there may be a statute of limitations. If he does not want to co-operate, tell him you are also going to report him to B.B.B. You do not need a lawyer for small claims. The city agency that handles those suits will give you a list of steps you must follow and guiding you thru the procees is quite simple. I did it twice and it was like falling off a log; it was so easy.

Thanks, will call around this week. I need to get in touch with an electrician, as the guy who's starting to paint the interior tomorrow said that there could be a major problem in the box. He told me to compile a list of everything that was wrong with the place that the inspector said was fine.

I'll be in the house most of this week while he's painting, so I'll hopefully have time to start this project.

Even if we have an amount exceeding the limit, it still would be better than paying a large fee to an attorney, unless his fees could be reimbursed by the insurance company.

RobJohnson
08-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks, will call around this week. I need to get in touch with an electrician, as the guy who's starting to paint the interior tomorrow said that there could be a major problem in the box. He told me to compile a list of everything that was wrong with the place that the inspector said was fine.

I'll be in the house most of this week while he's painting, so I'll hopefully have time to start this project.

Even if we have an amount exceeding the limit, it still would be better than paying a large fee to an attorney, unless his fees could be reimbursed by the insurance company.

If he has insurance the insurance company will be sending an attorney that specializes in construction that is why I would suggest trying to get one on a contingency basis.