PDA

View Full Version : Is Queens Chinese Restaurant Serving Dog Meat?

bijou
08-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Earlier this month, a woman dining at the New Garden Chinese restaurant in Far Rockaway bit down on something hard in her fried fish and brown rice. It was a tooth. "I thought it was my tooth at first, and then I realized that it definitely was not mine," Renita Holliday tells The Wave. "I was confused as to what it was because it definitely did not look human, so I brought the tooth to my dentist. He told me that it was a canine’s tooth."

Holliday took the tooth to the local police, but they didn't exactly rush over to the restaurants with sirens blaring. For justice, she had to go to the Health Department, which has reportedly sent an inspector to investigate. ...

link (http://gothamist.com/2010/07/30/dog_tooth_in_chinese_food_prompts_l.php)

I'm skeptical of this one, surely dog meat has a different texture to any fried fish dish you might order.

Rockntractor
08-09-2010, 09:30 AM
link (http://gothamist.com/2010/07/30/dog_tooth_in_chinese_food_prompts_l.php)

I'm skeptical of this one, surely dog meat has a different texture to any fried fish dish you might order.
If they would have found pieces of bark in there too that would be different!:confused:

djones520
08-09-2010, 09:46 AM
So... it's authentic chinese food. Whats the problem?

lacarnut
08-09-2010, 09:51 AM
So... it's authentic chinese food. Whats the problem?

Think I will pass on the german shepard.

djones520
08-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Not a fan of eating "pet" animals myself. I ate raw horse accidentally once when in Japan. Years later still doesn't sit right with me.

Gingersnap
08-09-2010, 10:08 AM
This sounds kind of fake. Asians eat dog meat because they seriously believe that it has attributes that are desirable. They are willing to pay extra for it because of these ideas.

Why would a Chinese restaurant serve dog meat to a bunch of Americans who don't know about any of these supposed attributes? I have never butchered a dog but I have to think that chickens are a lot easier to gut, skin, and break down. Also, chickens are easy keepers and don't make much noise - dogs make a big racket. It's pretty easy to kill a chicken but I expect it's a lot harder to kill a big, scared dog (little dogs wouldn't be cost-effective).

So, would they go to all this extra work and then not even charge extra for all their trouble? I can imagine some types of restaurants doing this for a private party who was willing to pay for the time, trouble, and risk but I can't imagine them doing all this just to throw a little extra meat into the Kung Pao chicken. :cool:

NJCardFan
08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Don't we all have canine teeth?