08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
babylonsister (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-07-10 06:29 AM
Original message
10 Murdered on Medical Aid Trip in Afghanistan, Including 6 Americans
Edited on Sat Aug-07-10 06:29 AM by babylonsister
10 Killed on Medical Aid Trip in Afghanistan
By ROD NORDLAND and SHARIFULLAH SAHAK
Published: August 7, 2010

KABUL, Afghanistan — At least 10 medical personnel, including six Americans, were murdered in northern Afghanistan on Thursday, officials confirmed Saturday. A Taliban spokesman, reached by cellphone, claimed responsibility for the killings.

The bodies from the group, which had been on an expedition to bring eye care and other medical services to remote areas, were found shot to death in a mountainous area of Badakhshan Province, according to the provincial police chief, Aka Noor Kentoz.

The International Assistance Mission, a group that last month had a fund-raiser in Kabul for a medical expedition to Nuristan Province, said six of the dead were Americans, one was German and one was British. Dirk Frans, the executive director of the I.A.M., said the team was headed by Tom Little, an American opthamologist with four decades experience in Afghanistan and a fluent Dari speaker. Mr. Frans said the team numbered 12, including four Afghans, two of whom were killed.

The victims’ bodies were stripped of all belongings, making identification difficult and suggesting robbery as a motive. However, Taliban insurgents are known to be active in the area, and the attackers allowed at least one Afghan to leave the scene unharmed. The survivor, an Afghan driver named Saifullah, told police he was let go because he recited verses from the Koran.

more...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/world/asia/08afghan.h...

OmmmSweetOmmm (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-07-10 07:10 AM
Response to Original message
1. They were Christian Missionaries and according to the teevee news, bibles were found.
They went into the lions den on their own accord.

Oh my god! A christian had a bible?! What the hell were they thinking! :rolleyes:

Dorian Gray (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-07-10 07:16 AM
Response to Reply #1
3. ?
How does their being Christian change anything about what happened to them? They did go into the "lion's den" of their own accord, but it doesn't matter whether they were Christian or not. They shouldn't have been killed. It's sad, and their lives do mean something.

Sal Minella (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-07-10 10:17 AM
Response to Reply #3
7. So how would you feel about a group of Muslim health-care workers
touring around among the poor in the U.S. and passing out English translations of the Koran?

Your saying we'd kill them for it? No, some would voice discontent, but American's don't slaughter aid givers for having a differant religious belief.

And one of my new favorites for DUmmy of the Year...

The Magistrate (1000+ posts) Sat Aug-07-10 07:25 AM
Response to Reply #1
5. Do Not Forget, Ma'am, They Were Spies Too....
"A spokesman for the Taliban, Zabiullah Mujahid, claimed that the medical team were shot because they ignored an order from the insurgents to stop. Afterwards, he said, they found evidence that the group were American spies and were preaching Christianity. He said they had maps showing their bases, and a Bible in Dari."

Die in lots of pain you douche bag. Lots of pain.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8896629

NJCardFan
08-09-2010, 11:48 AM
These people are incredible. The most, not some of the most but THE most generous people on this earth are devout Christians. Unlike liberals who give nothing but lip service to charity, devout Christians not only give money but their time and in this case, their lives. Let's see some DUmmie leave their home, travel to a foreign land, especially one as hostile as Afghanistan, and give of themselves.

7. So how would you feel about a group of Muslim health-care workers
touring around among the poor in the U.S. and passing out English translations of the Koran?
Somehow I don't see Americans lining these people up and shooting them. :rolleyes:

lacarnut
08-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Anti-religious dummies celebrating the murder of doctors is unbelievable. They themselves should be lined up against a wall and put out of their miserable existence.

Lager
08-09-2010, 02:27 PM
You are a fucking idiot Magistrate. Why they tolerate your stupidity, I can't fathom. All your "Sir" crap doesn't hide the fact that you are a callow, cowardly moron. I know for a fact that the government would never endanger aid workers like this, nor would they have a need to. You, Sir, are getting more ridiculous with every post.

noonwitch
08-10-2010, 01:08 PM
You are a fucking idiot Magistrate. Why they tolerate your stupidity, I can't fathom. All your "Sir" crap doesn't hide the fact that you are a callow, cowardly moron. I know for a fact that the government would never endanger aid workers like this, nor would they have a need to. You, Sir, are getting more ridiculous with every post.

But you know that if they ban anyone for their comments on this issue, it'll be Dorian Gray, for expressing sympathy for the dead missionaries.

They were going to give eye care to people who live in regions so remote that even the Red Cross/Crescent can't reach. What they forget is that these are not liberal christian vs conservative christian issues, providing medical care to impovershed people in third-world nations is the kind of work of all the denominations, and even a lot of independent churches. They don't require conversion of the people they help, either, but it does sometimes happen regardless, which is why the Taliban would literally prefer the blind people of Afganistan to remain that way, rather than let chrisitans help them.