PDA

View Full Version : Why I love being part of the AFA's One Million Dads campaign

jinxmchue
08-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Received this at 12:07 pm today:

Ask Ace Hardware to drop 'Swingtown'
Dear Jason,

CBS' trashy Swingtown has been moved to Friday nights, after a short run on Thursdays. Typically, when a show is rescheduled like this, it means it is falling short on ratings, and with viewers and advertisers.

Because of your work, Swingtown can't get enough advertisers to pay the bills!

Last Friday's episode (August 8) had only one legitimate advertiser - ACE Hardware.

TAKE ACTION

Please take a moment and politely ask Ace Hardware to order their advertising support off Swingtown.

Send Your Letter Now!
Sincerely,

Donald E. Wildmon, Chairman
OneMillionDads.com

P.S. Please forward this to your family and friends!

Sent my email and got this at 4:17 pm:

Ace Hardware drops 'Swingtown'
Dear Jason,

Thanks to your good actions, we have heard from Ace Hardware. They agree with you and have ordered their advertising to be far removed from CBS' Swingtown. Below is their letter:

Dear One Million Moms, One Million Dads and the American Family Association Members,

Thank you for contacting us regarding Ace’s advertising on the CBS prime-time show, “Swingtown.”

When the media buy was placed for the show that aired Friday, August 8, we were unaware of the questionable content that would be included in that particular episode. While Ace, like all advertisers, is never given the opportunity to preview shows before the advertising is placed against our target demographic, we have made the decision to permanently cease all advertising on this particular CBS show, effective immediately.

For more than 80 years, Ace has prided itself on being an organization that puts family values, integrity and the highest standards in the forefront of all that we do not only at our 4,600 retail locations, but also throughout the corporation. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and sincerely hope that you will continue to make Ace “your place” for your neighborhood hardware needs.

Sincerely,

Anne-Marie Cronin
Advertising Brand Manager

We have thanked Ace Hardware on your behalf. However, if you'd like to send a personal note of appreciation for their actions, you may email them through their Online Form.

Sincerely,

Donald E. Wildmon, Chairman
OneMillionDads.com

P.S. Please forward this to your family and friends!

I love it! ;) Even better, liberals hate it! :D

linda22003
08-13-2008, 07:58 AM
I've never heard of this show. Is it a sitcom, drama, what?

wilbur
08-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Me either, but if its bad enough to cause such an uproar its probably worth watching.

Oh heavens my, it looks like the show deals with some swingers/open marriages during the 70's. Can't have that kind of garbage on tv! Lets replace it with some nice wholesome violence!

linda22003
08-13-2008, 08:17 AM
After googling it, all I can say is.....

"Those who do not remember 'ThirtySomething' are condemned to repeat it."

lacarnut
08-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Me either, but if its bad enough to cause such an uproar its probably worth watching.

Oh heavens my, it looks like the show deals with some swingers/open marriages during the 70's. Can't have that kind of garbage on tv! Lets replace it with some nice wholesome violence!

You and a couple of your asshole buddies could watch it together.

wilbur
08-13-2008, 10:11 AM
You and a couple of your asshole buddies could watch it together.

Insults like that always reveal so much more about the person saying it than anything else. Got any more? Lets see what really goes on inside your head.

lacarnut
08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Insults like that always reveal so much more about the person saying it than anything else. Got any more? Lets see what really goes on inside your head.

Garbage in garbage out. You got any more?

wilbur
08-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Garbage in garbage out. You got any more?

That was a cop out if I ever saw one. You disappoint me.

lacarnut
08-13-2008, 11:57 AM
That was a cop out if I ever saw one. You disappoint me.

How about, poor baby can dish out sarcasm/insults but whines and cries when they get thrown back in his face.

linda22003
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
The only whining and crying I've seen in this thread is the letter written to stop sponsorship of a television show.

lacarnut
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
The only whining and crying I've seen in this thread is the letter written to stop sponsorship of a television show.

Then, you need to learn how to read.

LibraryLady
08-13-2008, 12:25 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x292/rkossy/kittycorn.gif

linda22003
08-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Don't Bogart it, LL, pass some over here. :rolleyes:

wilbur
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
How about, poor baby can dish out sarcasm/insults but whines and cries when they get thrown back in his face.

I've just been sitting back calmly making observations... someone needs to get out some steam... panties must be a little to tight today. Maybe a TD thread will make you feel better ;)

noonwitch
08-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I've never heard of this show, and I usually watch shows that the AFA objects to, at least I'll watch them once to see if I like them.

Some of the most offensive things I've seen on broadcast tv never brought a whisper out of them. My classic example, from a show I loved at the time (at least the first two seasons or so), Miami Vice.
One episode guest-starred Melanie Griffiths as a Mayflower Madam type, and Vanity as one of her girls. There was a scene of Melanie making love to Crockett, and it was intercut with the scenes of Vanity being brutally murdered. This probably aired at 9:00 on a Friday, which is a time when plenty of kids are watching.

No reaction from the AFA. Ellen goes gay, and everyone gets all worked up.

lacarnut
08-13-2008, 02:09 PM
I've just been sitting back calmly making observations... someone needs to get out some steam... panties must be a little to tight today. Maybe a TD thread will make you feel better ;)

Nope, but it looks like you got your diapers in a wad or would a bottle be more appropriate for your condition.

jendf
08-13-2008, 02:45 PM

I saw one episode and was bored to tears. Husbands coveting their friends' wives and vice versa. A couple of swingers' parties thrown in to titillate the audience. Yawn.

I can't imagine it will make it much further because it's simply not that entertaining.

I've done the "write the sponsor" thing before and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it's whining or crying. It's standing up for something you believe in and making your voice heard. Nothing wrong with that at all. ;)

lacarnut
08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
I saw one episode and was bored to tears. Husbands coveting their friends' wives and vice versa. A couple of swingers' parties thrown in to titillate the audience. Yawn.

I can't imagine it will make it much further because it's simply not that entertaining.

I've done the "write the sponsor" thing before and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it's whining or crying. It's standing up for something you believe in and making your voice heard. Nothing wrong with that at all. ;)

I have never seen or heard of this show. I was just pulling Wilbur's chain and he fell for it hook, line and sinker.

My feeling are that you can watch what you want, and if you believe strongly for or against a TV program or an issue, it is your right to make your voice be heard. That's the American way.

wilbur
08-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I was just pulling Wilbur's chain and he fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Damn... uhhh... I sure.... did? :confused:

jinxmchue
08-14-2008, 11:54 AM
My feeling are that you can watch what you want, and if you believe strongly for or against a TV program or an issue, it is your right to make your voice be heard. That's the American way.

Doesn't appear to be the liberal way, though.

The Night Owl
08-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Jinx reminds me of the character Moral Orel.

jinxmchue
08-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Jinx reminds me of the character Moral Orel.

You remind me of the character Asshole Assholesen.

The Night Owl
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
You remind me of the character Asshole Assholesen.

I like it! I would watch any TV show featuring a character named Asshole Assholesen. I'm envisioning a Swedish guy who designs furniture for Ikea and his neurotic friends.