PDA

View Full Version : "We’re not bankrupting the country fast enough"

Gingersnap
08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
When you're in a hole stop digging (Rep. Tom McClintock)
By Rep. Tom McClintock (R-Calif.) - 08/10/10 01:06 PM ET

Representative Tom McClintock (R-Calif.) delivered the following remarks today in the House of Representatives on unemployment and spending:

Many people are asking why Congress is here today. I think the answer’s pretty simple: we’re not bankrupting the country fast enough and so we need to come back and spend more.

In the merciful week that Congress was not in session, my constituents had one message: STOP THE SPENDING. Obviously, Congress isn’t listening. Over the past two years, this administration and this Congress have increased spending by nearly 18 percent and run up more debt in two years than the irresponsible Bush administration did in all of its eight years combined. Meanwhile, unemployment has increased from 7.6 to 9.5 percent. Yet the problem in the view of House Democrats is that we just haven’t spent enough. So we gather here today to shovel another $26 billion at the problem.

That comes to about $330 for an average family – taken directly out of the nation’s struggling economy. We’re told, don’t worry, it’s paid for.

How’s that? $10 billion is from increasing taxes on businesses with foreign subsidiaries. But remember this: BUSINESSES DON’T PAY BUSINESS TAXES. Business taxes can only be paid in one of three ways – by us as consumers through higher prices, by us as employees through lower wages, and by us as investors through lower earnings on our 401(k) plans.

Another $12 billion comes from cuts to Food Stamps starting in 2014, but we’re going to use the savings starting now. I tried that one out with my wife at home. “Honey, sure we can afford that new jet ski this year – I’m planning on cutting our grocery budget by $10,000 in 2014.” I’m sad to report that she didn’t buy that.

LOL! I love it! More at the link.

The Hill (http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/economy-a-budget/113533-when-youre-in-a-hole-stop-digging-rep-tom-mcclintock)

PC Guy
08-12-2010, 12:43 AM
In the merciful week that Congress was not in session, my constituents had one message: STOP THE SPENDING. Obviously, Congress isn’t listening.

Sean Hannity mentions this in a general way in the Introduction of his book Conservative Victory: Defeating Obama's Radical Agenda

But it's less comforting to realize that Obama and his leftist congressional stablemates have not yet been deterred by the popular backlash against their radical agenda. If anything, they've been emboldened to press harder to impose upon this nation their vision for America - a vision that couldn't be more inconsistent with that of this country's founding fathers or the constitution they crafted. Instead of listening to the voice of the people, the administration labeled the protestors as "domestic terrorists."

PoliCon
08-12-2010, 06:44 AM
McClintock for president!!