PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Obama losing to generic Republican challenger 45/50

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 02:30 PM
It’s still far too early to start debating the nomination for the 2012 presidential election — and for that, Barack Obama can be grateful, at least for a while. In the latest CNN poll, voters overwhelmingly support his renomination … but not his re-election. Instead, half of all voters prefer a generic Republican, while Obama only gets 45%, as Hotline digs into the history:

Pres. Obama trails a generic GOPer in a WH ‘12 re-election bid, according to a new CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released today. Among registered voters, fully half, 50%, said they were more likely to vote for a generic GOPer, while just 45% said they were more likely to vote for Obama.

While the numbers are striking, the generic ballot at this stage doesn’t always mean the incumbent pres. is destined for just one term. Prior to his re-election bid, George W. Bush never trailed a generic Dem, according to trends from what was then the CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll. The closest a generic Dem came to Bush was 47-43% in Sept. ‘03.

CONTINUED (http://hotair.com/archives/2010/08/13/cnn-obama-losing-to-generic-republican-challenger-4550/)

malloc
08-13-2010, 02:36 PM
From the rest of the article:

Top five contenders:

* Mitt Romney – 21%
* Sarah Palin – 18%
* Newt Gingrich – 15%
* Mike Huckabee – 14%
* Ron Paul – 10%

Well, that's disturbing. Gingrich, Palin and Paul I can see in the top 5, even Huckabee to some extent, but friggin' Romney leading the pack? That's not good news. I'm glad a lot can change between now and '12, and I do hope to see Gary Johnson on that list.

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 02:38 PM

Well, that's disturbing. Gingrich, Palin and Paul I can see in the top 5, even Huckabee to some extent, but friggin' Romney leading the pack? That's not good news. I'm glad a lot can change between now and '12, and I do hope to see Gary Johnson on that list.

PERSONALLY - I'm not interested in any of the ones on that list.

malloc
08-13-2010, 02:50 PM

I don't think Gingrich would be too bad. I think Paul would make an excellent Secretary of the Treasury. Imagine a world where the Treasury Secretary doesn't march in lock step with the Federal Reserve Chairman. I would watch those CSPAN sessions!

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't think Gingrich would be too bad. I think Paul would make an excellent Secretary of the Treasury. Imagine a world where the Treasury Secretary doesn't march in lock step with the Federal Reserve Chairman. I would watch those CSPAN sessions!

I'm not willing to support any of those listed for President at this point. I'd MUCH prefer someone who A) doesn't have baggage B) is a proven fiscal conservative C) can get conservatives excited D) Can throw down and have it out with the best of em. And NONE of those listed can do all 4 things.

lacarnut
08-13-2010, 03:18 PM

Mitt and Huck are tax spending RINO's. They may talk a good game but their RECORD of spending speaks for itself. Gingrich is old guard Repub who has gotten soft in the head; he thinks that he can negotiate with Democrats. Hey Newt, the Blue Dogs are long, long, long, gone.

malloc
08-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Mitt and Huck are tax spending RINO's. They may talk a good game but their RECORD of spending speaks for itself. Gingrich is old guard Repub who has gotten soft in the head; he thinks that he can negotiate with Democrats. Hey Newt, the Blue Dogs are long, long, long, gone.

I included Huck on the list of "I can see it" because I know he's got a cult following that would put him on the list.

Molon Labe
08-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm not willing to support any of those listed for President at this point. .

Cmon...at what "point" would you be able too. When they're the nominee?

If they all suck now, then what makes them viable in the future? :confused:

Jfor
08-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Only reason I would support Huckabee is his support of the Fairtax.

Molon Labe
08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Only reason I would support Huckabee is his support of the Fairtax.

Yeah ol Huck believes in the word tax alright (http://www.google.com/search?q=Huckabee+begs+new+taxes&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=kqNlTLbdH8b_lgf80LyTDg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQqwQwAA). :rolleyes:

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Cmon...at what "point" would you be able too. When they're the nominee?

If they all suck now, then what makes them viable in the future? :confused:

willingly? Never. Out of necessity IF one of them should become the nominee.

Zeus
08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Keep an eye out for Marco Rubio of Florida

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyeFNIdGrYg

Molon Labe
08-13-2010, 04:14 PM
willingly? Never. Out of necessity IF one of them should become the nominee.

If I've learned anything it's if they haven't stood on principle now......they won't when they're elected.

So...Yay! Romney Vs Obama..... 3rd party or a movie on election night sounds pretty darn good.

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 04:19 PM
If I've learned anything it's if they haven't stood on principle now......they won't when they're elected.

So...Yay! Romney Vs Obama..... 3rd party or a movie on election night sounds pretty darn good.

You're that willing to allow Obama to get re-elected? And you call that principled??

Molon Labe
08-13-2010, 04:42 PM
You're that willing to allow Obama to get re-elected? And you call that principled??

Yep...It actually IS princpled.

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost - John Quincy Adams

Several other quotes alos come to mind on voting for another RINO

Reform cannot be achieved by the very people whose moral confusion is the cause of the disorder - Socrates

The Democrat and Republican party are both different wings of the same bird of prey, equally willing to surrender our constitutional liberties, independence, and national sovereignty - Pat Buchanan

The things that matter in this country have been reduced in choice..... there are two political parties, there are a handful of insurance companies, six or seven information sources, BUT IF YOU WANT A BAGEL there are 23 flavors - George Carlin

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Yep...It actually IS princpled.

Several other quotes alos come to mind on voting for another RINO

I'll take a RINO over a FASCIST/STATIST/DEMOCRAT.

malloc
08-13-2010, 04:55 PM

I think the amount of damage done with a RINO as POTUS is related to the makeup of congress. If it's a conservative/libertarian majority in Congress, the RINO will only get conservative/libertarian bills to sign. In that case the RINO will sign them. If the Congress is statist/lefty, the RINO will get bills that conservatives and libertarians object to, but could easily be pressured into signing because RINO's have no backbone by definition.

Molon Labe
08-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Some of those RINOS are just that.... (Bush?...McAmnesty?...short memory?)

I'm convinced that if MORE people in the electorate actually voted on principle instead of settling, then this country would actually change.

namvet
08-13-2010, 05:09 PM
CNN would support a ruptured duck

Constitutionally Speaking
08-13-2010, 05:18 PM

This scares me to say that of that bunch Gingrich is the best.

Tecate
08-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't think we have a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything but a corporate fascist national security dictatorship puppet in the whitehouse. The Washington DC machine has declared all out war on the people as far as I'm concerned. They don't give a damn what we want or don't want and go out of their way to throw it in your face that they couldn't care less.

A strong nation wide anti-incumbent campaign would be sweet. Throw ALL of them out, especially these career crooks who are so arrogant and sold out that they've completely lost touch with reality.

Satanicus
08-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Hey dumbfucks.

ALL of you idiots claim that all polls are BS because they don't poll all the people in the nation.

Yet when you find a poll you like you post it and start cheerleading for it.

Satanicus
08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Keep an eye out for Marco Rubio of Florida

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyeFNIdGrYg

Not gonna happen with 38% of the vote.

Rubio won't peel off Dem votes , but Crist WILL peel off Dem votes when we are faced with Senator Rubio.

lacarnut
08-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Hey dumbfucks.

ALL of you idiots claim that all polls are BS because they don't poll all the people in the nation.

Yet when you find a poll you like you post it and start cheerleading for it.

Your boy's party is going to get smashed in Nov. I don't need a poll to tell me that.

Polly want a cracker.

Satanicus
08-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Your boy's party is going to get smashed in Nov. I don't need a poll to tell me that.

Polly want a cracker.

What makes you think that ?

malloc
08-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey dumbfucks.

ALL of you idiots

Another example of the hate and malcontent pure ignorance produces.

lacarnut
08-13-2010, 06:16 PM
What makes you think that ?

I would put my money where my mouth is for a few grand. Problem is a lazy, shiftless, bum like you that does not work could not cover it.

Speedy
08-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Top five contenders:

* Mitt Romney – 21%
* Sarah Palin – 18%
* Newt Gingrich – 15%
* Mike Huckabee – 14%
* Ron Paul – 10%

Still early. Throw Michelle Bachman, Marco Rubio and Bobby Jindal on the list and no one gets over 15%. When it comes down to it, it will be Obama against one of these people one on one. He won't stand a chance.

Hawkgirl
08-13-2010, 06:46 PM
In other words, ANYONE is better than Obama.

malloc
08-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Still early. Throw Michelle Bachman, Marco Rubio and Bobby Jindal on the list and no one gets over 15%. When it comes down to it, it will be Obama against one of these people one on one. He won't stand a chance.

I'm not sure if Rubio would give up a just-won senate seat to throw in the race for POTUS. Is there any precedent for a newly elected Senator to run for POTUS within a 2 year time frame?

Speedy
08-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Is there any precedent for a newly elected Senator to run for POTUS within a 2 year time frame?

Not one worth a fuck.

Hawkgirl
08-13-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure if Rubio would give up a just-won senate seat to throw in the race for POTUS. Is there any precedent for a newly elected Senator to run for POTUS within a 2 year time frame?

Yes, the one who was running against Hussein......Hillary.

fettpett
08-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes, the one who was running against Hussein......Hillary.

Hillary was in office from 2001-2009. Obama was in for just barely 3 years 2005-2008.

I personally am Hoping that Mitch Daniels gets in.

John Thune, Paul Ryan, Jindal, and a couple others are great choices as well. The only one on that list that has even shred of a chance is Palin, but I can't see her making it due to the baggage she brings.

lacarnut
08-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Hillary was in office from 2001-2009. Obama was in for just barely 3 years 2005-2008.

I personally am Hoping that Mitch Daniels gets in.

John Thune, Paul Ryan, Jindal, and a couple others are great choices as well. The only one on that list that has even shred of a chance is Palin, but I can't see her making it due to the baggage she brings.

Palin will run. I don't think any more dirt or bashing can be done to her that will stick. The media has just about maxed that out. New candidates like the ones you mentioned will be in for an all out assault on their character, their background and their family. This will be a very dirty and racially motivated election in 012.

Arroyo_Doble
08-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Outstanding!

Now all we need to do is find some guy named Generic Republican.

Rockntractor
08-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Outstanding!

Now all we need to do is find some guy named Generic Republican.

If the election were held tomorrow a rubber glove could beat Obama!:rolleyes:

Arroyo_Doble
08-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Rubber Glove dropped out of the race due to some unfortunate stories on the Internet detailing exactly where he's been.

Rockntractor
08-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Rubber Glove dropped out of the race due to some unfortunate stories on the Internet detailing exactly where he's been.

:D:D

fettpett
08-13-2010, 09:45 PM

are you sure it was Rubber Glove? I thought it was the One Eye Bandit

PC Guy
08-14-2010, 03:16 AM

HAHAHAH! So true. :D

Zeus
08-14-2010, 11:28 AM

I don't think he would either. He is still young enough that 10 yrs from now he will still be relatively young and I venture a well known conservative entity.

djones520
08-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't know why everyone is suprised. The country isn't split 50/50 Dems and Republicans. Independants hold a lot of beliefs in between the two. And they outnumber either of the parties. Independants are going to feel a lot more comfortable about voting for a Romney over a stone cold righty.

PoliCon
08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't know why everyone is suprised. The country isn't split 50/50 Dems and Republicans. Independants hold a lot of beliefs in between the two. And they outnumber either of the parties. Independants are going to feel a lot more comfortable about voting for a Romney over a stone cold righty.

BALONEY.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/141032/2010-conservatives-outnumber-moderates-liberals.aspx

Conservatives outnumber 'liberals' 2 to 1. There are far more conservative independents than there are moderate/leftist independents. This notion that we have to tack LEFT in order to win is an abject lie. Republicans win when they run as conservatives - and same thing goes with Democrats. Most of the democratic victories in competitive races for the house and Senate in the last round of elections were because the democrat out conservatived the conservative.

djones520
08-15-2010, 01:35 PM
BALONEY.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/141032/2010-conservatives-outnumber-moderates-liberals.aspx

Conservatives outnumber 'liberals' 2 to 1. There are far more conservative independents than there are moderate/leftist independents. This notion that we have to tack LEFT in order to win is an abject lie. Republicans win when they run as conservatives - and same thing goes with Democrats. Most of the democratic victories in competitive races for the house and Senate in the last round of elections were because the democrat out conservatived the conservative.

And the conservative independants are going to go for a more middle of the road candidate. Hence, McCain in 2008.

PoliCon
08-15-2010, 02:08 PM
And the conservative independants are going to go for a more middle of the road candidate. Hence, McCain in 2008.

Not at all. It was democrats that crossed the aisle and voted in the open primaries in the early states that gave us McCain.