PDA

View Full Version : SF To Ban Happy Meals?

Gingersnap
08-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Happy Meals: Does McDonald's lure kids unfairly?
Happy Meals have been a part of McDonald's menu for three decades. Now, San Francisco is considering a ban on the toys in Happy Meals.

By Laurent Belsie / August 13, 2010

A bottled water ban? OK. No more regular Coke and Pepsi in government vending machines? All right, if we have to. But no more Happy Meals?

.That's the ban that San Francisco is mulling over. Some city supervisors say the toys in McDonald's Happy Meals unfairly lure children to eat unhealthy food.

McDonald's has launched a spirited defense of the iconic meals, which have been part of the chain's menu since 1979, more than 30 years. The meals are a way to draw families to its restaurants, a key demographic for a global chain hungry for customers.

(snip)

Now, San Francisco's suggested ban is getting attention and stirring a backlash from critics, who call it unwanted interference by a nanny government. Parents should make meal decisions for their children, not government, they say.

McDonald's CEO, Jim Skinner, argued along the same lines in his written response to CSPI: "Our customer websites and phone lines at McDonald's are also busy, with more than nine out of ten customers disagreeing with your agenda. Parents, in particular, strongly believe they have the right and responsibility to decide what's best for their children, not CSPI," he wrote.

"It seems that you purposefully skewed your evaluation of our Happy Meals by putting them in the context of a highly conservative 1,300 calorie per day requirement," he added. "I'm sure you know this category generally applies to the youngest and most sedentary children."

I don't have kids and my parents were completely immune to begging and whining. Parents, help me out here: do your kids want a burger and fries or do they beg for the toy? Would your kid happily chow down on broccoli and steamed fish if came with a Shrek toy?

CS Monitor (http://www.csmonitor.com/Money/new-economy/2010/0813/Happy-Meals-Does-McDonald-s-lure-kids-unfairly)

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 03:16 PM
my youngest nephew always wants to go to "donalds house" because he LOVES french fries. He'd eat them with every meal if my sister let him. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
08-13-2010, 03:18 PM
my youngest nephew always wants to go to "donalds house" because he LOVES french fries. He'd eat them with every meal if my sister let him. :rolleyes:

So, it's not the toy?

Apache
08-13-2010, 03:22 PM
What is it with these people? I don't even think that a ban is even legal in this case...

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 03:23 PM
So, it's not the toy?

Nope. He's just as happy to go to Wendy's or even Burger King. It's the fries he's after.

Rebel Yell
08-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Nope. He's just as happy to go to Wendy's or even Burger King. It's the fries he's after.

Their fries ain't near bout as good as McDonalds.

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 03:27 PM

Personally I like Arby's fries the best.

lacarnut
08-13-2010, 03:27 PM

That's the only thing I like. B.K. beats them hands down on breakfast and burgers.

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 03:28 PM
That's the only thing I like. B.K. beats them hands down on breakfast and burgers.

BK does have MUCH better burgers.

Rebel Yell
08-13-2010, 03:29 PM

Hardee's has the absolute best breakfast.

Every time, without fail. Barr none. Check Mate.:D

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 03:40 PM

You've clearly never had the Eat'n Park breakfast Buffet then :p

Rebel Yell
08-13-2010, 03:43 PM
You've clearly never had the Eat'n Park breakfast Buffet then :p

Never heard of Eat'n Park. Therefore you lie. I said without exception, barr none, and check mate. That means I win.

Apache
08-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Jack-n-the-Box Ultimate Cheeseburgerrrrrr.....and there ain't ONE in this stinkin' state :mad:

FlaGator
08-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Hardee's has the best steak biscuit bar none...

Rebel Yell
08-13-2010, 03:54 PM

Without Fail. Their loaded omelet biscuit is good, too. The Frisco Breakfast sandwich is the best.

Gingersnap
08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Let's get back to the parental/toy angle. :D

Rebel Yell
08-13-2010, 03:59 PM

I can't. I'm hungry now.

Perhaps if you give me a toy, I'll get back to the topic.:D

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Never heard of Eat'n Park. Therefore you lie. I said without exception, barr none, and check mate. That means I win.

You'd have to travel to civilized locations to find one. http://www.eatnpark.com/

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 04:09 PM

SF would HATE Eat'n Park. Their Smilie cookies are a real draw for the kidies :)

http://www.smileycookie.com/

Rebel Yell
08-13-2010, 04:12 PM
You'd have to travel to civilized locations to find one. http://www.eatnpark.com/

From my experience, civilized loactions never have the best food. You know how long it took me fing a bowl of grits in Yankeeland? And that God awful Farina is not the same thing.

PoliCon
08-13-2010, 04:18 PM
From my experience, civilized loactions never have the best food. You know how long it took me fing a bowl of grits in Yankeeland? And that God awful Farina is not the same thing.

grits? Silly reb. You can find grits here. You've just been looking in the wrong places. I can walk a couple of blocks and get grits- http://www.lowes.com/pd_245892-1748-207813_4294856876+8+4294834366_4294937087?productI d=3027809 by the GALLON even . . . . :D

Rebel Yell
08-13-2010, 04:25 PM
grits? Silly reb. You can find grits here. You've just been looking in the wrong places. I can walk a couple of blocks and get grits- http://www.lowes.com/pd_245892-1748-207813_4294856876+8+4294834366_4294937087?productI d=3027809 by the GALLON even . . . . :D

In Great Lakes, IL, it took me over a year to find them. Then I stumbled on them at a little place on base. I got me a big bowl of grits and mixed in some runny fried eggs and butter. Damn good stuff.

fettpett
08-13-2010, 04:47 PM
ewww....grits? how the hell can anyone eat that crap...I'd rather eat a bowl of salt than grits. and yes i've had "real southern" grits. Had some when I was in Charolett, NC.

give me hashbrowns, an omelet and toast, I'm good.

jendf
08-13-2010, 04:51 PM
The few times I've taken my nephews to McDonald's, they don't seem to care much about the toy. They want the nuggets and fries.

jendf
08-13-2010, 04:53 PM
And, FYI, the best fries are at In-n-Out. Everyone knows this. :rolleyes:

Molon Labe
08-13-2010, 04:54 PM

Love them..With a big slice of tomato.

I have a sister in law from Rhode Island. Apparently they don't have them up North. We tried to talk her into stopping at one for breakfast and she said she would not eat at a place called "HARDEES". Doesn't know what she is missing.

fettpett
08-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Love them..With a big slice of tomato.

I have a sister in law from Rhode Island. Apparently they don't have them up North. We tried to talk her into stopping at one for breakfast and she said she would not eat at a place called "HARDEES". Doesn't know what she is missing.

Most Hardees in the Midwest have closed. there use to be one in Benton Harbor, but i think the closest one to me now is Niles. When I was a kid we had one where i grew up, they closed and turned into a Wendy's

Apache
08-13-2010, 05:25 PM
And, FYI, the best fries are at In-n-Out. Everyone knows this. :rolleyes:

Jack n the Box..... you heathen, you :mad:

:p

Apache
08-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Most Hardees in the Midwest have closed. there use to be one in Benton Harbor, but i think the closest one to me now is Niles. When I was a kid we had one where i grew up, they closed and turned into a Wendy's

Really? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting at least one here....

fettpett
08-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Really? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting at least one here....

yeah, they all are either empty or turn into Wendy's, they have almost identical setups

NJCardFan
08-13-2010, 11:43 PM

And even McD's fries suck now that they fry them in vegetable oil.