PDA

View Full Version : Bug-out Kit

Articulate_Ape
08-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Do you have one? I have a pretty extensive one that consists of two backpacks with all the stuff we need to live indefinitely in a wilderness populated by zombies.

What's in your wallet?

Rockntractor
08-13-2010, 09:09 PM
At the push of a button I have a bulletproof dome that will cover my property!:cool:

Gingersnap
08-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Sure, but your kit depends on your plan.

We actually have a place to bug-out to which most people don't. Our bug-out destination has a sweet well, ample deer, elk, and fish and it's obviously pretty far out of town but not so far that we couldn't walk it in a few days.

Articulate_Ape
08-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Sure, but your kit depends on your plan.

We actually have a place to bug-out to which most people don't. Our bug-out destination has a sweet well, ample deer, elk, and fish and it's obviously pretty far out of town but not so far that we couldn't walk it in a few days.

How, close? How will you get there? And what if you can't go there?

Articulate_Ape
08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
At the push of a button I have a bulletproof dome that will cover my property!:cool:

I know. I have the codes.

Rockntractor
08-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I know. I have the codes.

I'm fully stocked with sugared ginger, it's everywhere.:cool:

Articulate_Ape
08-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm fully stocked with sugared ginger, it's everywhere.:cool:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK! :eek:

Gingersnap
08-13-2010, 09:47 PM
How, close? How will you get there? And what if you can't go there?

It's about 40 miles. If the car is defunct, we can walk it. I bike but Mr. Snaps doesn't. If the roads are "funny", I know the trails.

If we can't get out, we're good for about 6 months. With the gun-happy, conservative neighbors probably longer. We have a well and a lake. Ample firewood, game, fish, and hardware. One of my neighbors owns an ACE Hardware. We're pretty cozy here - all Christians, all conservative, all gun-owners (except the Hindus - they don't have guns.)

Rockntractor
08-13-2010, 09:54 PM
(except the Hindus - they don't have guns.)

Hindus? They would be pretty tasty if they are vegetarians! Just sayin'

malloc
08-13-2010, 09:56 PM
The only thing I'm missing in my kit is trauma plates for the vests. Those are expensive. I also don't think I have enough non-perishables.

Gingersnap
08-13-2010, 10:08 PM

It's funny - I said Hindu but they are all actually Christians. I meant South Asian Indian Americans.

Articulate_Ape
08-13-2010, 10:18 PM
It's about 40 miles. If the car is defunct, we can walk it. I bike but Mr. Snaps doesn't. If the roads are "funny", I know the trails.

If we can't get out, we're good for about 6 months. With the gun-happy, conservative neighbors probably longer. We have a well and a lake. Ample firewood, game, fish, and hardware. One of my neighbors owns an ACE Hardware. We're pretty cozy here - all Christians, all conservative, all gun-owners (except the Hindus - they don't have guns.)

But what if you CAN'T get to your remote survival base and CAN'T stay where you are? Ergo, the term: Bug-out? Do you have a plan for that? Zombies are very creative until their heads are blown off.

Gingersnap
08-13-2010, 10:24 PM
But what if you CAN'T get to your remote survival base and CAN'T stay where you are? Ergo, the term: Bug-out? Do you have a plan for that? Zombies are very creative until their heads are blown off.

Yeah, we do. Mr. Snaps is kind of a deep thinker on these matters. If we can't stay and we we can't get to our rural haven, we have a fallback position in Denver itself. Tragic but doable.

Rockntractor
08-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Zombies are very creative until their heads are blown off.

There won't be any heads being blown off with Gingers trusty .22!:D

Articulate_Ape
08-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, we do. Mr. Snaps is kind of a deep thinker on these matters. If we can't stay and we we can't get to our rural haven, we have a fallback position in Denver itself. Tragic but doable.

Real tragedy would be heading into the wilderness with only what you are carrying, and you're carrying nothing but a Swiffer mop. :p

SarasotaRepub
08-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Do you have one? I have a pretty extensive one that consists of two backpacks with all the stuff we need to live indefinitely in a wilderness populated by zombies.

What's in your wallet?

Yes, a real Light Saber. :mad::D

Gingersnap
08-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Real tragedy would be heading into the wilderness with only what you are carrying, and you're carrying nothing but a Swiffer mop. :p

We would be carrying Reminington and Smith and Wesson, among others.

PoliCon
08-14-2010, 12:02 AM

and what about your bleach?

Articulate_Ape
08-14-2010, 01:02 AM

Ok. So, you're wilderness survival kit consists of guns?

ElevenBravo87
08-14-2010, 01:15 AM
I have a BOB, a AK74 with 8-30 rd mags, 1911 with 6 mags, to defend what I have or take what I need.

Articulate_Ape
08-14-2010, 01:18 AM
I have a BOB, a AK74 with 8-30 rd mags, 1911 with 6 mags, to defend what I have or take what I need.

Ok. I hope that works out for you.

m00
08-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Ok. I hope that works out for you.

Actually I don't have a bug-out kit. It would slow me down, make me a target for other scavengers, and chances are I wouldn't be near it if I needed to bug-out anyway. I think you are better off with a map of the area, and knowledge of how to repair motorcycles, bicycles, and small motors. And the ability to improvise weaponry. Guns jam, and run out of bullets.

djones520
08-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Actually I don't have a bug-out kit. It would slow me down, make me a target for other scavengers, and chances are I wouldn't be near it if I needed to bug-out anyway. I think you are better off with a map of the area, and knowledge of how to repair motorcycles, bicycles, and small motors. And the ability to improvise weaponry. Guns jam, and run out of bullets.

Thats why I also have a bow and several knives.

My kit involves two fire arms, with close to two hundred rounds of ammo for both, bow with arrows, several knives and a hatchet.

Also got several multi-tools, kevlar lined gloves, all the cold weather gear the AF has bought me when they deployed me to this shit hole of a country, and extensive knowledge in trauma first aid.

All of that can be collected within 5 minutes if need be. Doesn't matter were I'll be when the shtf, I'll be heading home to get my family first so I'll be able to pick this stuff up.

m00
08-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Thats why I also have a bow and several knives.

My kit involves two fire arms, with close to two hundred rounds of ammo for both, bow with arrows, several knives and a hatchet.

Also got several multi-tools, kevlar lined gloves, all the cold weather gear the AF has bought me when they deployed me to this shit hole of a country, and extensive knowledge in trauma first aid.

All of that can be collected within 5 minutes if need be. Doesn't matter were I'll be when the shtf, I'll be heading home to get my family first so I'll be able to pick this stuff up.

No canned food or bottled water?

djones520
08-14-2010, 02:39 PM
No canned food or bottled water?

We always have some, but not enough for a big store. It would be plenty till we got where we were going, and I could kill something for further sustenance.

warpig
08-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Flashlight
Batteries
Crank Radio
Knives
Fish hooks
Line
Water purification
Bottled Water
Bow
Fire starter
Compass
Maps
.22 for small game
.06, 12 gauge and .45 for larger game and protection.
Ammo
Blankets
Clothing
First aid
Survival Manual (you can't know everything)
Army Field Manual on Improvised Munitions
Destination Planned
Extra gas (if you can Drive)
Food for 72 hrs min.
Axe or machete
Silver coins

DU+NU_Reject
08-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Flashlight
Batteries
Crank Radio
Knives
Fish hooks
Line
Water purification
Bottled Water
Bow
Fire starter
Compass
Maps
.22 for small game
Ammo
Blankets
Clothing
First aid
Destination Planned
Food for 72 hrs min.
Axe or machete
Silver coins

What's the Crank Radio for? (I'm a newb at the survival game, and I have Type 1 Diabetes, so survival outside civilization is kinda moot for me.)

This book tells you what types of NATO bullets go into which chambers, or...?

DU+NU_Reject
08-15-2010, 10:43 AM

I take it you saw that DU thread as well? :o

/facepalm

djones520
08-15-2010, 11:01 AM
What's the Crank Radio for? (I'm a newb at the survival game, and I have Type 1 Diabetes, so survival outside civilization is kinda moot for me.)

For the Radio, it would be to listen into broadcasts while having no power or batteries. If you decide to live several hundred miles out in the middle of no where, how are you going to know when the zombies are finally put down?

As for the book, couldn't say. Haven't read it.

Rockntractor
08-15-2010, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=DU+NU_Reject;301979]I take it you saw that DU thread as well? :o

It was probably my sock. I got banned for that last year.:D

Big Guy
08-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Flashlight
Batteries
Crank Radio
Knives
Fish hooks
Line
Water purification
Bottled Water
Bow
Fire starter
Compass
Maps
.22 for small game
Ammo
Blankets
Clothing
First aid
Destination Planned
Food for 72 hrs min.
Axe or machete
Silver coins

I have most everything on your list, No silver coins, and no Army Field Manual.

I keep paper money in my kit.
I also have Duct Tape, 550 cord, 55 gal trash bags, and 10 X 12 tarps.

warpig
08-15-2010, 12:17 PM

The crank radio has weather, local and short wave bands. It has a crank on it to power it no batteries required. The improvised munitions tells you how to build things that can go boom if needed and what to look for in nature to make gun powder if necessary.

DU+NU_Reject
08-15-2010, 12:19 PM
how are you going to know when the zombies are finally put down?

Scouting/low tech 'hands-and-feet' reconnaissance :cool:

As for the book, couldn't say. Haven't read it.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/iamjooish/th_102.gif
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Something of importance that I noticed people were leaving out:

LEMONS/lemon seeds.

A person can hunt or fish all they wish to for months on end, but once their hairs take on a cork-screw shape, they acquire gum erosion, intestinal cramps, malaise, and loss of physical energy they may realize their body has gone into SCURVY.

There are various veggies that combat this but I think lemons are the most potent and also the most durable.l

DU+NU_Reject
08-15-2010, 12:20 PM
The crank radio has weather, local and short wave bands. It has a crank on it to power it no batteries required. The improvised munitions tells you how to build things that can go boom if needed and what to look for in nature to make gun powder if necessary.

I see...

Articulate_Ape
08-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Scouting/low tech 'hands-and-feet' reconnaissance :cool:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/iamjooish/th_102.gif
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Something of importance that I noticed people were leaving out:

LEMONS/lemon seeds.

A person can hunt or fish all they wish to for months on end, but once their hairs take on a cork-screw shape, they acquire gum erosion, intestinal cramps, malaise, and loss of physical energy they may realize their body has gone into SCURVY.

There are various veggies that combat this but I think lemons are the most potent and also the most durable.l

Actually, fresh meat has all the vitamin C that one requires, provided it isn't over-cooked or salted. Scurvy was most common at sea because any meat that was consumed had been heavily salted. There is also a plethora of flora that contain plenty of vitamin C.

Big Guy
08-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Actually, fresh meat has all the vitamin C that one requires, provided it isn't over-cooked or salted. Scurvy was most common at sea because any meat that was consumed had been heavily salted. There is also a plethora of flora that contain plenty of vitamin C.

Pine needles are full of vitamin C, try some pine needle tea. You would be suprised how good it actually is.

Articulate_Ape
08-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Pine needles are full of vitamin C, try some pine needle tea. You would be suprised how good it actually is.

Indeed.

asdf2231
08-16-2010, 09:01 AM
A 12 gauge DB broken down with ammo and the 12/20 gauge conversion shell holders.
My 1991A1 in a shoulder rig with 6 10 round McCormick mags. (one in & 4 on the belt)
My S&W M&P 9mm W.TLR-1 light in a drop-leg holster with 7 mags. (6 on opposite drop-leg holder)
My S&W 686 stowed away with a few speed loaders.
A damn good backpack with a 100 ounce hydration bladder.
A 40 ounce metal water bottle in a slung carrier.
A gerber leatherman.
My best camping knife and my pocket knife.
A handmade 16" lightweight bush knife that attaches to my pack.
A small crank emergency radio.
A flashlight with solar cells & one hand cranked.
12x compact field glasses.
A Blastmatch on a neck lanyard.
100 single serve folgers instant coffee packets.
A sierra cup.
A lightweight titanium backpacking cook set.
2 camping sporks.
A Katadyn backpacker pro water filter.
A pretty kickass trauma/med kit.
Roll of duct tape, some steel wire & spool of fish line w. hooks & split shot.
7 days worth of high cal light weight prepared hiking food.
About 5-7 pounds of dehydrated veggie mix (Peas carrots onions and potatoes) in 3 Vac sealed packs.
About 5 pounds of vac sealed textured vegetable protein in single serving bags.
2 jars powdered no fridge soup base.
A Garmin E-trex GPS handheld w extra AA cell batteries.
A small solar battery charger for AAA & AA cells.
200" of paracord.
A small backpacking trowel/shovel.
An ENO Expedition hammock with slap straps and an olive drab mosquito net covering.
100 feet of soft nylon climbing rope & a few various 'biners.
Surplus OD poncho and a liner.
One small woodland camo painted tarp.
My well broken in Keen 3/4 hiking boots.
4 bars of soap and 1 bar of fells naptha.
socks n undies.
My walking stick.

Thats it. Total weight is managable. It all crams nicely into/on the pack.

I can have my shotgun out of the lashed carry bag and assembled in less than a minute if a little extra sum' sum' is called for.

What is most important is I have a very much loved beat up old serape in earth tones that I take camping and hiking. Wearing that covers the dropleg rigs and the Colt in the shoulder rig. I look like I'm carrying next to nothing and might not be worth the trouble of ambushing/robbing. I bought bulk dehydrated food and divided into food packs with a seal-a-meal vaccuum sealer. VOLUME with the veggies and the TVP is the biggest prob.

Similar packs with a little variation and more food for the family members. With some variation on contents.
My son has a kids model .22 bolt action single shot he would be toting. I have a collapsible stock .30 M-1 carbine w magazines my daughter shoots well that has a single point sling. And I DO have my Bushmaster M-4 with a magazine bag if things are, shall we say... fluid and overt. :D

Different loadout for the car with more snivel gear.

Articulate_Ape
08-16-2010, 02:54 PM
A 12 gauge DB broken down with ammo and the 12/20 gauge conversion shell holders.
My 1991A1 in a shoulder rig with 6 10 round McCormick mags. (one in & 4 on the belt)
My S&W M&P 9mm W.TLR-1 light in a drop-leg holster with 7 mags. (6 on opposite drop-leg holder)
My S&W 686 stowed away with a few speed loaders.
A damn good backpack with a 100 ounce hydration bladder.
A 40 ounce metal water bottle in a slung carrier.
A gerber leatherman.
My best camping knife and my pocket knife.
A handmade 16" lightweight bush knife that attaches to my pack.
A small crank emergency radio.
A flashlight with solar cells & one hand cranked.
12x compact field glasses.
A Blastmatch on a neck lanyard.
100 single serve folgers instant coffee packets.
A sierra cup.
A lightweight titanium backpacking cook set.
2 camping sporks.
A Katadyn backpacker pro water filter.
A pretty kickass trauma/med kit.
Roll of duct tape, some steel wire & spool of fish line w. hooks & split shot.
7 days worth of high cal light weight prepared hiking food.
About 5-7 pounds of dehydrated veggie mix (Peas carrots onions and potatoes) in 3 Vac sealed packs.
About 5 pounds of vac sealed textured vegetable protein in single serving bags.
2 jars powdered no fridge soup base.
A Garmin E-trex GPS handheld w extra AA cell batteries.
200" of paracord.
A small backpacking trowel/shovel.
An ENO Expedition hammock with slap straps and an olive drab mosquito net covering.
100 feet of soft nylon climbing rope & a few various 'biners.
Surplus OD poncho and a liner.
One small woodland camo painted tarp.
My well broken in Keen 3/4 hiking boots.
4 bars of soap and 1 bar of fells naptha.
socks n undies.
My walking stick.

Thats it. Total weight is managable. It all crams nicely into/on the pack.

I can have my shotgun out of the lashed carry bag and assembled in less than a minute if a little extra sum' sum' is called for.

What is most important is I have a very much loved beat up old serape in earth tones that I take camping and hiking. Wearing that covers the dropleg rigs and the Colt in the shoulder rig. I look like I'm carrying next to nothing and might not be worth the trouble of ambushing/robbing. I bought bulk dehydrated food and divided into food packs with a seal-a-meal vaccuum sealer. VOLUME with the veggies and the TVP is the biggest prob.

Similar packs with a little variation and more food for the family members. With some variation on contents.
My son has a kids model .22 bolt action single shot he would be toting. I have a collapsible stock .30 M-1 carbine w magazines my daughter shoots well that has a single point sling. And I DO have my Bushmaster M-4 with a magazine bag if things are, shall we say... fluid and overt. :D

Different loadout for the car with more snivel gear.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

malloc
08-16-2010, 02:55 PM

What make/model, and where did you get this? This looks very handy.

asdf2231
08-16-2010, 03:28 PM
What make/model, and where did you get this? This looks very handy.

I would have to check. It was a gift a while back and not sure where it came from. It's essentially a roll of solor panel cloth not much bigger than a washcloth that is attached to a plastic tray that holds 2 aaa on one side and 2 AA on the other.

Oh and it works fairly crappy, lol. But it will put a small charge on with a little bit of sun.

Articulate_Ape
08-16-2010, 07:09 PM
My walking stick.

Hey, asdf, I ran across this (http://www.scribd.com/doc/35975227/Make-a-survival-staff) today and thought it was a pretty clever idea. I am seriously thinking of making one or a variation on it. Any thoughts?