PDA

View Full Version : I Want Corporations Out of My Business!

SarasotaRepub
08-13-2010, 10:58 PM
:D Giggle!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8943924)

Kalyke http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/donor.gif (1000+ posts) Fri Aug-13-10 10:17 PM
Original message I want Corporations Out of My Business!

The malaise that has gripped the nation is rooted in something primal. It's a gut-check, griping grapple to gain gracious guidance.

No jobs, no advancement, no savings, no future. (If you're a total loser, yeah.)

If you were to listen to the mantra of the Tea Party, you're likely to believe that the problem is government. It's largess. It's power. It's taxation. It's spending.

But, if you take a few minutes to turn off the TV and do some research online, you find balance sheets and take-overs and buy-outs and bail-outs. You find, astonishingly, that the problem is not government - it's the lack of regulation of corporations, it's the pro-corporate, Draconian laws that pass for "the people's" legislation, it's corporate welfare, it's the lack of consumer choices that don't involve a multinational stamp - it's BIG, FREAKIN' MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS.

If I need health care, I can go to a doctor, but, in order to pay for said care, I have to go to a corporation to purchase "insurance." Unless I am very wealthy, I have no other choice. I can either pay the doctor on time or be beholden to another corporation - the credit card industry - and hope I don't have another health issue before I pay this one off or I have to purchase corporately-owned health care.
It's the lack of choices when shopping for clothes, food or other necessities. Our jobs - if we have one - are scattered and we rarely get off work before 6 p.m. To shop for clothes means we can't visit the Mom and Pop during the day, but have to opt for the multinational corporation in the evening. Sure, we could go on Saturday to the Mom and Pop - if we don't have a kid's sports practice or if we have the money to waste gasoline to make an extra trip - this, of course, happens in between the cleaning, the cooking, the lawn work and the child rearing because both parents have to work during the week. But, mostly, we opt for the corporation - we can shop at night. Leave the spouse home and go get the stuff. The clothes at the Mom and Pop are too expensive for our meager wages, anyway.
I have to drive and rely on corporate gasoline. Unless you live a very large city... you do. Bus service in smaller cities is not always reliable - and it's not their fault... few depend on them for on-time routes and even fewer routes go from the houses to the jobs.
The military industrial complex makes me have babies. Yup. If I want an abortion and have no money, it's not covered by my insurance, I don't have the $500-$700 to have one at the women's clinic, provided I have one in my town, which is rare, since 94 percent of the counties in this country have no clinic. Therefore, I have to have their cannon fodder.

Just to name a few.

With my taxes, I get schools and roads and garbage pickup and parks and Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid. Sure, I pay far too much for legislator salaries and too much for unnecessary wars, but I can go to the ballot box and try to change those spending habits. I can't tell Bill Gates to put up or shut up.

Forget government out of my business.

I WANT CORPORATIONS OUT OF MY BUSINESS!

I want a Pony covered in Lottery tickets and ham. :D Sorry DU, you aren't fooling anyone. Your moronic blaming of corps is childish and...fucking funny . :D

Apache
08-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Somebody can't handle their cough-syrup...:rolleyes:

Dan D. Doty
08-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Gee Kalyke I guess you long for that time when people stood in line for four hours for TP, or you had to bribe a mechanic to look at your car in the government run garage, or how those who worked in government got go to the special shops where the good stuff was just for them.

I suggest you find yourself a boat and start rowing for HugoLand; Paradise awaits.

djones520
08-14-2010, 04:11 AM
The military industrial complex makes me have babies. Yup. If I want an abortion and have no money, it's not covered by my insurance, I don't have the $500-$700 to have one at the women's clinic, provided I have one in my town, which is rare, since 94 percent of the counties in this country have no clinic. Therefore, I have to have their cannon fodder.

Ok, i'm nominally pro-choice, but this is fucking ridiculous. Close your legs bitch. Make him wear a condom. get the fucking pill. USE BIRTH CONTROL! Last I heard, we weren't being assigned details to kick your door down and steal all the contraceptives from your house. :rolleyes:

DU+NU_Reject
08-14-2010, 04:58 AM
It's a gut-check, griping grapple to gain gracious guidance.

"I'll take "someone attempting to be witty" for 500 Alex"

CueSi
08-17-2010, 02:43 AM
Ok, i'm nominally pro-choice, but this is fucking ridiculous. Close your legs bitch. Make him wear a condom. get the fucking pill. USE BIRTH CONTROL! Last I heard, we weren't being assigned details to kick your door down and steal all the contraceptives from your house. :rolleyes:

Birth Control is about $25 p/m @ Planned Parenthood.

The Sponge, contraceptive inserts, and rubbers are : $14, $9, and $6 respectively at CVS/Walgreens/RiteAid. I saw all three of these in the middle of nowhere UT. . . if they have it, I'm sure your town does too.

And the day after pill dropped to $39.

<SIGH>

~QC

malloc
08-17-2010, 11:20 AM
# If I need health care, I can go to a doctor, but, in order to pay for said care, I have to go to a corporation to purchase "insurance." Unless I am very wealthy, I have no other choice. I can either pay the doctor on time or be beholden to another corporation - the credit card industry - and hope I don't have another health issue before I pay this one off or I have to purchase corporately-owned health care.

Why people bitch at insurance companies for rising health care costs as compared to paying out of pocket is astounding ignorance. The corporations didn't make health care more expensive, the government did. Why don't you, little DUmmie look at a history of health care prices, and compare jumps to legislation that was passed within the same timeframe, like HIPPA for instance led to an nearly immediate 10% increase in health care costs.

# It's the lack of choices when shopping for clothes, food or other necessities. Our jobs - if we have one - are scattered and we rarely get off work before 6 p.m. To shop for clothes means we can't visit the Mom and Pop during the day, but have to opt for the multinational corporation in the evening. Sure, we could go on Saturday to the Mom and Pop - if we don't have a kid's sports practice or if we have the money to waste gasoline to make an extra trip - this, of course, happens in between the cleaning, the cooking, the lawn work and the child rearing because both parents have to work during the week. But, mostly, we opt for the corporation - we can shop at night. Leave the spouse home and go get the stuff. The clothes at the Mom and Pop are too expensive for our meager wages, anyway.

Look at it the other way DUmmie, the multinational is actually competing for your business by staying open the hours in which you can shop. What is the mom and pop doing for you? Are they competing for your business by not staying open when you can shop? I know, "but, but the multinational can afford it!", you whine. Well guess what, the multinational didn't get to become a multinational without competing for business.

# I have to drive and rely on corporate gasoline. Unless you live a very large city... you do. Bus service in smaller cities is not always reliable - and it's not their fault... few depend on them for on-time routes and even fewer routes go from the houses to the jobs.

Think about what you just said DUmmie. Do you think they make gasoline in a microbrew fashion somewhere? Think about raw crude coming out of the well thousands of miles away, all that pipeline, those refineries, all that infrastructure between that crude oil and your gas tank. What other entity besides private enterprise could possibly make that happen? Obviously you want to buy gasoline, and multiple private enterprises form a logistics chain to supply your demand, and you whine about it. It's astounding!

# The military industrial complex makes me have babies. Yup. If I want an abortion and have no money, it's not covered by my insurance, I don't have the $500-$700 to have one at the women's clinic, provided I have one in my town, which is rare, since 94 percent of the counties in this country have no clinic. Therefore, I have to have their cannon fodder.

Hrm, you are faced with many, many choices. You could, you know, be responsible for your own body and your own actions and stuff, but that wouldn't give you much to whine about would it? How about you use contraceptives? Abstain? Get your tubes tied? You say, "if I need an abortion", as if getting pregnant is like getting struck by lighting and completely outside of your control. News flash, you can't accidentally get pregnant, you know the risks of the pill, the condoms, and you and you alone take that risk.

The stupid is strong with this DUmmie.

Lanie
08-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Businesses are in what they're in to make money, not to give somebody a job. Therefore, if you want a job, you have to show how you can contribute to their company.

I also find it depressing that one can't have a really good job without often working late, but think of this. Before industrialization, people used to work from the land all day long. What time did they have for their families then? What about those who opened a shoe shop in town in the 1800s? Did they have a lot of time? Probably not. Even once they closed the store, they had to clean up and get ready for the next day.

I live in the blue state of North Carolina. You would think the corporations were out of our business and that the government was just helping. WRONG. Our last governor probably took a lot of tax money, stuffed it in his pocket, and got away with it. We spend I don't know how much in taxes and we don't know much of where the money is going to. The schools? Nope. They keep cutting back. The roads? Maybe a little bit. Welfare? No more than before. The money is pretty much vanishing because there is no government to hold the government responsible for their actions. Oh, and our lottery? Word has it most of it is not going toward schools (and what is going toward the schools only replaces tax money that used to go to it, so it's not a gain at all).

I do slightly agree about health insurance because whether one has insurance or not, it appears their lives are affected. If one doesn't have health insurance, the doctors hesitate to do certain things. If one does have insurance, the doctors and pharmacists want to work within those limitations. Not good.

CueSi
08-17-2010, 10:39 PM

And... they have managed to make the "Plan B" type meds to be effective up to ONE WEEK (http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm222428.htm).These will probably be out soon as well. I'm sorry... no pity for anyone anymore.

~QC