PDA

View Full Version : How old is grandma?

warpig
08-15-2010, 01:48 PM
One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.
The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' television

' penicillin

' polio shots

' frozen foods

' Xerox

' contact lenses

' Frisbees and

' the pill

There was no:

' radar

' credit cards

' laser beams or

' ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' pantyhose

' air conditioners

' dishwashers

' clothes dryers

' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first, . . and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . . but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' "grass" was mowed,

' "coke" was a cold drink,

' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

' " chip" meant a piece of wood,

' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and
"software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused"

and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old lady in mind...you are in for a shock!
Pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

This Woman would be only 58 years old!

marv
08-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Hmmmmmm, I'm only 71, so maybe your Grandma and I might have dated.......

linda22003
08-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm 55, and some of this didn't pass the smell test.

Frozen foods were first commercially marketed in 1930, so Grandma would have to be about 80 years old.

Alexander Fleming perfected penicillin in 1928; Grandma would have to be 82 years old.

Television was invented in the 1920s, although it was not commercially available until after WWII. Regular broadcasts began on the DuMont network in 1946, which is more than 58 years ago.

Glass contact lenses were first available in 1887; plastic ones in the late 1930s.

Laszlo Biro invented the ballpoint pen in 1938.

Willis Carrier invented air conditioning, as we know it, in 1902 - Grandma would have to be.... dead of old age.

Electric clothes dryers were first marketed in this country in 1915.

Grandma wasn't OLD; she might just have been from Alabama or something if she didn't know these things were in use well before her time.

Rockntractor
08-15-2010, 04:26 PM

Frozen foods were first commercially marketed in 1930, so Grandma would have to be about 80 years old.

Alexander Fleming perfected penicillin in 1928; Grandma would have to be 82 years old.

Television was invented in the 1920s, although it was not commercially available until after WWII. Regular broadcasts began on the DuMont network in 1946, which is more than 58 years ago.

Glass contact lenses were first available in 1887; plastic ones in the late 1930s.

Willis Carrier invented air conditioning, as we know it, in 1902 - Grandma would have to be.... dead of old age.

Grandma wasn't OLD; she might just have been from Alabama or something if she didn't know these things were in use well before her time.

Hell that isn't that old! I thought you were like......never mind, I'm sorry.

linda22003
08-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Hell that isn't that old! I thought you were like......never mind, I'm sorry.

What, as old as you? :)

Articulate_Ape
08-15-2010, 06:42 PM

I'm only 50 and, although not nearly as advanced in age as you are, and I have to agree.

FlaGator
08-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Your blind to the woodland because of the foliage.

RobJohnson
08-15-2010, 07:45 PM
In 1917, Nikola Tesla, a mechanical/electrical engineer and inventor, established the principles related to frequency and power level for primitive radar units.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_was_the_radar_invented

Rockntractor
08-15-2010, 07:47 PM
What, as old as you? :)

You got me by four years. are you wearing trifocals yet?

linda22003
08-15-2010, 09:14 PM
You got me by four years. are you wearing trifocals yet?

Don't need to.

linda22003
08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_was_the_radar_invented

I only looked up some of them; didn't have time for all. They certainly were using radar in WWII, so I didn't even bother on that one. Whoever made up this post originally was a complete dolt.

Rockntractor
08-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't need to.

You're not wearing glasses yet?:confused:

lacarnut
08-15-2010, 10:03 PM

Your crabbiness is showing.

Kay
08-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I would just like to point out that I'm 5 yrs younger than Linda#s,
and I am 1 yr younger than Rock.
That is all.

Rockntractor
08-15-2010, 11:07 PM
I would just like to point out that I'm 5 yrs younger than Linda#s,
and I am 1 yr younger than Rock.
That is all.

Jailbait!:D

RobJohnson
08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
I only looked up some of them; didn't have time for all. They certainly were using radar in WWII, so I didn't even bother on that one. Whoever made up this post originally was a complete dolt.

I was just helping you out. It would take a while to check all of them out.

The post looks like a combination of email forwards to me.

noonwitch
08-16-2010, 09:10 AM
My 97 year old grandfather can relate with this, but my parents can't.

I'm 45 and I remember the moon walk, as it took place when I was almost 5.

malloc
08-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Ya'll are making me feel young at 31.

Rockntractor
08-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Ya'll are making me feel young at 31.

Awe shucks, they are so cute at that age!:D

Shannon
08-16-2010, 09:37 AM

The dryer clued me in. I remember having to read Where the Lillies Bloom when I was a kid and the hicks in the book were all ga ga over a clothes dryer.

NJCardFan
08-16-2010, 12:12 PM
She was born in 1952 so she's only 3 years younger than rock & roll. Credit cards(bank card) were first introduced in 1946. But even before that you could buy something "on time" if the store allowed it. Others not mentioned(all info from Wiki):

Polio Shots-1955
Xerox-1959
Contact lenses-1888
Frisbee-1948(the brand name Frisbee not until 1957)
The pill-1957
Laser-1960
Ball point pens-1945
Pantyhose-Depends on what you're looking at. Nylons were around before the second world war but actual pantyhose as we know it wasn't marketed until 1959.
Dishwashers-According to wiki, the dishwasher was first introduced at the 1893 worlds fair. It was hand cranked.
Day care centers have been around forever.
Fast food has been around a long time as well. Hell, Arnolds on Happy Days could be considered fast food if you ate in your car outside. McDonalds came to be in 1955 in it's current form.
They had draft dodgers in the Civil War(um, draft riots anyone?)
The electric typewriter was first marketed by IBM in 1935
Yogurt caught on in the 50's
Instant coffee-1938
Marijuana was smoked recreationally forever. Refer Madness anyone?

Rebel Yell
08-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Linda's 55 years old the same way Precious is slightly overweight.:D

Rockntractor
08-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Maybe we could have her carbon tested?:confused:

linda22003
08-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Don't know what that means. June 14, 1955. :)

Articulate_Ape
08-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Dishwashers-According to wiki, the dishwasher was first introduced at the 1893 worlds fair. It was hand cranked.

Actually, wiki is off base on that one. The dishwasher was introduced shortly after the first dish was, and she was dragged back to the cave by her hair so she wouldn't fill up with sand.

Rebel Yell
08-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Don't know what that means. June 14, 1955. :)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/Kaulitz_2008/Precious.jpg

linda22003
08-16-2010, 03:51 PM
If I were going to lie about my age, wouldn't I choose a lower number? :p

Rebel Yell
08-16-2010, 04:20 PM
If I were going to lie about my age, wouldn't I choose a lower number? :p

To you, that is a lower number. ;)

Articulate_Ape
08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EGCwPXDR-0