PDA

View Full Version : English professor 'thrown out of Starbucks after objecting to corporate language'

bijou
08-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Lynne Rosenthal was ejected by three police officers after clashing with a barista about the firm’s ordering rules, which require customers to adopt marketing speak that many find artificial and cloying.

The academic, who is in her early 60s, particularly resented being to forced to state that she did not want butter or cheese on her bagel.

Many cafes ask customers whether they would like such extras with their orders in an attempt to boost takings.

She told the New York Post newspaper: "I refused to say 'without butter or cheese.' When you go to Burger King, you don't have to list the six things you don't want.

"Linguistically, it's stupid, and I'm a stickler for correct English."

Prof Rosenthal added: "The barista said, 'You're not going to get anything unless you say butter or cheese!'" ...link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7949440/English-professor-thrown-out-of-Starbucks-after-objecting-to-corporate-language.html)

jendf
08-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I used to work in the food service industry and now I work with university professors. Let me assure you that this professor was being an arrogant ass.

A simple "neither" or "plain" would have sufficed but then she wouldn't have had the chance to show off her perceived superiority over the Starbucks minions.

Rockntractor
08-17-2010, 03:34 PM
I can see her point and I agree with her, although it is kind of nice hearing about a liberal professor being humbled a little.

noonwitch
08-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I used to work in the food service industry and now I work with university professors. Let me assure you that this professor was being an arrogant ass.

A simple "neither" or "plain" would have sufficed but then she wouldn't have had the chance to show off her perceived superiority over the Starbucks minions.

My 3 english profs in college were as follows: a radical feminist who told us to picture Odysseus as Captain Kirk (a good teacher), a jewish guy who bitched about his wife and daughter before his lecture (also a good teacher), and a greasy scumbag who thought that he could manipulate me into sleeping with him just because my sorority sister usually got me drunk before class. I would pity any barrista dealing with the third one.

jendf
08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
My 3 english profs in college were as follows: a radical feminist who told us to picture Odysseus as Captain Kirk (a good teacher), a jewish guy who bitched about his wife and daughter before his lecture (also a good teacher), and a greasy scumbag who thought that he could manipulate me into sleeping with him just because my sorority sister usually got me drunk before class. I would pity any barrista dealing with the third one.

Yeah, they are an eccentric group.

PoliCon
08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
“We are completely relaxed about how people order their coffee – and what they call the cups, there are no rules and customers have always been able to ask for drinks any way they want.” um hum . . . suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrre

Articulate_Ape
08-17-2010, 04:09 PM
When you go to Burger King, you don't have to list the six things you don't want.

She clearly has forgotten the old Burger King jingle: "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders won't upset us, all we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Have it your way....Have it your way at Burger King"

I'm a stickler for correct statements. :cool:

patriot45
08-17-2010, 04:20 PM
I can see her point and I agree with her, although it is kind of nice hearing about a liberal professor being humbled a little.

Dude! I think that was Linda#'s!! :D

As an aside I was at Burgerking years ago and thought I was funny and asked for my order and added, no small cokes please. When I got my order the kid handed me an empty bag with my order!! You guessed it, the empty bag had no small cokes!! :D

bijou
08-17-2010, 04:30 PM

It is a bit of a 'I hope both of them lose' story isn't it? :D

NJCardFan
08-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I hate Starbucks with a seething passion. They are grossly overpriced and their coffee isn't all that great to begin with. I keep things simple. I go to Dunkin.

PoliCon
08-17-2010, 09:56 PM
coffee = swill.

Rockntractor
08-17-2010, 10:04 PM
coffee = swill.

It's a grown up drink.:rolleyes:

PoliCon
08-17-2010, 10:06 PM
It's a grown up drink.:rolleyes:

No. SCOTCH is a grown up drink. Coffee is for pussies who can't wake up in the morning. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
08-17-2010, 10:10 PM
No. SCOTCH is a grown up drink. Coffee is for pussies who can't wake up in the morning. :rolleyes:

You can probably get drunk on an airline bottle.:rolleyes:

PoliCon
08-17-2010, 10:14 PM
You can probably get drunk on an airline bottle.:rolleyes:

You're just jealous. :p

Gingersnap
08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
I never go to Starbucks but I've certainly been to coffee places that use similar pretentious language. I just get the small or medium size and I ask for it using those terms. I've never had any trouble. I don't know about the bagel issue. Most people who buy bagels do want something on them so asking if a customer wants butter or cream cheese seems pretty reasonable. I'm sure that "nothing, please" would have been a perfectly acceptable answer.

RobJohnson
08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Prof Rosenthal, who described the incident as “very humiliating”, said she had previously clashed with Starbucks staff over the terminology for specifying the size of her coffee – an issue that riles the chain’s customers on both sides of the Atlantic

It sounds like to me the crabby old bitch went in looking for conflict.

noonwitch
08-18-2010, 11:55 AM

LOL.

I hate coffee.

PoliCon
08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
LOL.

I hate coffee.

as does every sensible person. stuff tastes like crap and smells just as bad.

Nubs
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM

OH do tell, I wonder if he is still there.

noonwitch
08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
OH do tell, I wonder if he is still there.

I have no idea. I told him I wasn't too drunk to call my dad's lawyer, and basically made him concede my attendance for the rest of the semester, except for the day of the final. I got my sorority sister to give me my assignments, and she turned in my papers. I got an A, too. That was the first time I stood up to a teacher and won.